Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411656 Posts in 69395 Topics- by 58451 Members - Latest Member: Monkey Nuts

May 15, 2024, 05:37:36 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)CreativeWhile You Work
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9
Print
Author Topic: While You Work  (Read 32422 times)
Martin 2BAM
Level 10

@iam2bam

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2009, 10:46:11 AM »

When programming... I listen to GOD

xD
seriously: Music all the time, except when composing. I don't have a TV nearby.
Oh and mate... lot's of mate.

Working on HeliBrawl
skyy
Level 2

[ SkyWhy ]

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 31, 2009, 10:50:29 AM »

I always have drinks around me when I program and music on. Music varies depending on my mood.   Gentleman

BoxedLunch
« Reply #22 on: December 31, 2009, 11:09:17 AM »

I just watch tv. it dosn't really matter what's on though.  Droop
Kadoba
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 31, 2009, 11:35:35 AM »

Music or television while doing anything art-like. Programming is too cognitive for me to have distractions. Usually it's too cognitive for me without distractions.  Facepalm
JMickle
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 31, 2009, 12:40:51 PM »

i listen to music all the time, but since a lot of the time i'm making music, this becomes a problem Tongue when i'm making music i dont do anything else, but when i'm making a game, i usually either listen to teh music i've made for it already (so it effects the style of the game) or just listen to any old music.

imaginationac
Level 2

Makin' games instead of makin' money.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: December 31, 2009, 12:54:53 PM »

I don't work, I play. Big Laff
But seriously, I usually have the TV on. But if it becomes too much of a distraction, I turn it off.

Youtube channel | Charger! Dev Log

oganalp
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 01, 2010, 05:29:10 AM »

If I am working on a composition or production, I usually work at night so that nothing interferes with my work. I keep MSN open to relax every now and then and keep a computer magazine around to read at times. If I feel my creativity is going down, I stop working and watch a movie or something.

Also snacks and drinks are my friends :D.

When working on web / graphical design things, I usually do the same but I sometimes open Youtube and watch random stupid videos that I found. I hardly listen to music when I work except for reference issues as well as technical observation (mostly the EQ setup and mixing).

www.oganalp.com - Composer, Singer.
BeauPrime
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: January 01, 2010, 08:21:11 AM »

I usually just put on some music from a game similar to what I'm working on (or what I'd rather be working on, but know I have to finish what I started here).  If I really get frustrated by something, though, I turn it off and work in silence until the silence bugs me to turn the music back on.  Right now, the music of Okami is motivating me to finish various portions of a level editor I'm making.

Tycho Brahe
Level 10

λx.x

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 02, 2010, 12:57:24 PM »

I either listen to podcasts or music, or I watch programmes on IPlayer
Hempuliā€½
Level 10

Sweet potatoes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: January 02, 2010, 01:18:28 PM »

IRC and sometimes music. Surprisingly seldom, though.

Lifesnoozer
Level 2

wait... who?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: January 02, 2010, 01:22:43 PM »

When I draw I usually listen to music. If I need to concentrate a lot, like when animating, I usually turn the music off, distracts me otherwise.

powly
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: January 03, 2010, 03:29:06 AM »

IRC and sometimes music. Surprisingly seldom, though.

Uh, how come I forgot to mention IRC.

I reinstalled my other screen just to have videos running while I code. Seems to work quite well, doesn't distract too much if the videos aren't that interesting.
asiekierka
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 05, 2010, 09:06:06 AM »

IRC, rarely music. And of course taking tons of procrastination breaks.

...Yeah, I know.

davidp
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: January 05, 2010, 01:57:20 PM »

i work, listen to music and browse on the internets.

few minutes later i only listen to the music and browse on the internets.

Kekskiller
« Reply #34 on: January 05, 2010, 02:28:40 PM »

Everytime I have to write a lot of simple code without deep research, I tend to like minimal, clicky techno as working background. Something simple, repetive and relatively abstract.
PoV
Level 5

Click on the eye and something might happen..maybe

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: January 05, 2010, 02:43:48 PM »

Music usually.

Sometimes while drawing I can do audiobooks or podcasts, but when it's code time, I can only do music.

If it was possible to make music while listening to music, I'd probably do that too.  Alas. Wink

Mike Kasprzak | Sykhronics Entertainment - Smiles (HD), PuffBOMB, towlr, Ludum Dare - Blog
Liam Berry
Level 0

Blue Raspberry Fruit Thing

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: January 05, 2010, 06:03:28 PM »

I almost always listen to music. Any kind I like, really. Unless I'm doing something that I really want to concentrate on - then I only listen to instrumentals.
ImaginaryThomas
Level 1

Reor, Creo, Incito

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: January 08, 2010, 06:21:46 AM »

I'm partial to putting on cartoons.

bluescrn
Level 1

Unemployed Coder / Full-time Indie :)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: January 15, 2010, 02:42:38 PM »

I listen to a lot of music when coding. A lot of singer-songwriters, some electronic stuff, and occasionally a bit of rock/metal. It has to be very familiar music, though - anything new can be quite distracting, and I'll concentrate far too much on the music instead of the code.

I find it best to play whole albums, too - rather than 'entire music collection on shuffle', as that can be distracting when an unexpected song comes on...

Have tried watching DVDs / TV series on my 2nd monitor. Can get far too distracting, even if it's something that I've seen many many times before...

Tycho Brahe
Level 10

λx.x

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 15, 2010, 02:53:28 PM »

I've recently discovered that listening to Remember the name by fort minor is very motivational whilst working on some code.

Also, I've recently got into the pc gamer podcast, especially as they have slightly more coverage of indie games than other games media, albeit in a "I had 20 mins and I played this really amazing indie flash game/spelunky" kind of way.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic