Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411630 Posts in 69393 Topics- by 58447 Members - Latest Member: sinsofsven

May 12, 2024, 09:28:50 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingThe Amazing LAUNCHMAN: A Fun Size Game
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: The Amazing LAUNCHMAN: A Fun Size Game  (Read 1539 times)
Hinchy
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« on: May 13, 2010, 11:14:09 AM »

First off, Fun Size Games is a projectish thing I'm working on over at The Layabouts where we'll end up making a bunch of small game prototypes in a few hours each. Fun for you me and the childrens! Anyway, I just made the first one.

(this is a slightly out of date screenshot)

PREMISE
LAUNCHMAN has crash-landed in a strange world. Help him find his ship. And don't touch spikes, you idiot.

CONTROLS
A and D or Left and Right to move (slowly) when on the ground.
Hold down your left mouse button to begin charging your launch.
Move your mouse cursor to where you want to launch, and release to launch yourself in that direction.
The gauge in the upper left will determine how much power your launch has.

OTHER THINGS
There's a HUD, as of this morning, to track your elapsed time, amount of launches, and amount of deaths, for crazy obsessive-compulsive people who like it. (Are there any? I dunno.)

CREDITS
Zachary Hinchliffe (hey look it's me!) programmed it, and made the music and graphics as well.
He and Joe Pierce (this guy) created the concept and level design as a team.

DOWNLOAD THIS SHIZ

And here's the Fun Size Games page, for more stuff, when we have it!
maxwell
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2010, 02:44:58 PM »

This is the most fun I've had playing a game with that movement mechanic. Will you add more stuff? I think most of the usual platform-game twists like elevators & moving obstacles would work ok, but maybe there's weirder stuff you could do as well. Control multiple launchmans with careful coordination? player vs player launching (w/o point and click)?

UncleJoe
Level 0

You don't like this guy, but you're not sure why.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2010, 05:25:16 AM »

We want to make more of these "fun-size" prototypes before we expand on any of them. So, while there's a good chance of it happening, it'll be some time before we consider doing more with this Launchman concept.

Thank you though, we do appreciate the feedback.  Smiley  Hand Thumbs Up Right
« Last Edit: May 16, 2010, 05:32:55 AM by UncleJoe » Logged

Neither Epic, Rad, Nor Awesome.
Barefists
Level 1

Prepare for unforseen consequences.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2010, 12:16:44 AM »

Nate from the Layabouts suggested this game to IndieReview, and we had great fun playing it. Smiley  Here's a link to the review we wrote after our playthrough:

http://indiereview.tk/index.cgi/reviews/Launchman-Review.html

Cheers, and keep up the great work!

pepprsam
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2010, 07:56:28 AM »

That was really fun! 

My stats:  5:02
           67 launches
           21 deaths

Good work.  If I had to nitpick though, I guess I would say that launchman moves a little too slowly when he's walking.  Slow movement would be required if the launches required perfect precision, but they didn't seem to.  Still, it really wasn't all that bothersome.

UncleJoe
Level 0

You don't like this guy, but you're not sure why.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2010, 08:57:03 AM »

Yeah, I certainly see what you mean. The initial idea was that you'd have to rely on the launch for pretty much all travel, with the walk only serving as a means of lining yourself up. But, in the end, it didn't really matter all that much. Shrug

Neither Epic, Rad, Nor Awesome.
Tumetsu
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2010, 11:19:49 AM »

Surprisingly fun and difficult game Smiley Couldn't get too far Tongue Along with concept I liked the music and graphics too. Only things to criticise would be a bit too slow walking and explosion effect which for some reason felt a bit out of place related to the rest of the graphics. Probably because graphics are pixelled while explosion effect is blended smooth looking particle effect. All in all, pretty nice lil' game  Beer!

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic