Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411632 Posts in 69393 Topics- by 58447 Members - Latest Member: sinsofsven

May 12, 2024, 11:15:36 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingUnfinite Ammo
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Unfinite Ammo  (Read 2868 times)
YagerX
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« on: May 21, 2010, 01:54:16 PM »

It's a game I made in 2 1/2 hours to practice for this weekend (Where I'm making a game for the 40 hour famine, a little counter-intuitive, I know, but I'll hopefully be able to raise some money?) and it turned out fairly well?

Play here

Instructions:
Movement - [WSAD]
Shoot    - [LMB]
Shoot stuff for points.
When you shoot, you loose 1 bullet.
When you get hit by an enemy, you lose one bullet.
You loose when you run out of bullets.

I know it's a little inbalanced? and definately unpolished as it lacks a menu and music, just thought I'd share it Smiley

Enshoku
Level 1

woooo~

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2010, 02:00:18 PM »

How do you go about earning bullets?
YagerX
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2010, 03:08:27 PM »

Uh you don't, bullets are a precious commodity Smiley

deathtotheweird
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2010, 03:13:12 PM »

1124 was my high score on my first try. Second attempt I did better at 1989. Suppose I could do better but staring at the tiny game with the white background and the white background of your website hurts my eyes.

edit: tried twice to get over 3k and failed. 2892 was my best
« Last Edit: May 21, 2010, 05:22:46 PM by allen » Logged
laserghost
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2010, 03:19:02 PM »

I like that the bullets are also your health, and the player needs to expend them if they want a high score. It seemed like some enemies just hovered around me, while others hit me head on. It'd be nice if the more aggressive enemies were bigger and a different color, maybe giving more points as well. In general, I didn't really feel a sense of strategy in it, which I think comes from the enemies continuously hovering around me which made me feel like shooting them was the only thing I could do and dodging was just an illusion. I think if the enemies zoomed away after a while, whether they attacked or not, would present a clearer choice to the player: shoot or dodge? Right now it's just: shoot or wait, then shoot.
Enshoku
Level 1

woooo~

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2010, 04:46:10 PM »

I think a couple things would be very helpful to the player...

1)a clear cut bounding box. A white little flash app surrounded by a white background can really fuck you over.
2)A way to earn bullets, and progressively more difficult enemies. This would encourage a bit of strategy that isnt spinning around in circles for half a minute, building up a gaggle of enemies to shoot.

edit: 2145 second try, I could have got much more, but a bug got me glitched on the outside boundary of the screen, most likely from the knockback of the squares. Same thing happened the first time I played...oi.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2010, 05:03:32 PM by Enshoku » Logged
YagerX
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2010, 05:23:54 PM »

Hm weird, there shouldn't be any knock back from squares...
The border was something I was thinking of and I'll definately put it in when I work on it, and how do you guys suggest, players should earn bullets? random "power up" esque stars that spawn on the map?

J. R. Hill
Level 10

hi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2010, 05:27:54 PM »

To keep with the limited ammo theme, maybe one or two bullets per enemy killed?

hi
YagerX
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2010, 05:33:00 PM »

The thing is, 1 bullet can kill an infinite amount of squares, so it would be almost impossible to lose, if I gave a bullet per kill.

Also, I realise the problem about the ai, it's pretty rubbish at the moment, it's pretty much comparing the positions and altering the velocity accordingly, do you guys have any solutions to prevent the circle looping?

Enshoku
Level 1

woooo~

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2010, 06:59:23 PM »

If you sufficently change up the AI, the infinite kills per bullet problem wont be. I cant help you with prediction scripts in flash, but if you ever export it to GML, I'd be happy to help you then.
J. R. Hill
Level 10

hi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2010, 10:32:44 PM »

Each enemy has a random chance of dropping a bullet?

hi
YagerX
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2010, 01:33:46 AM »

I added a border, increased creep's acceleration (they nolonger follow you) and added in "ammo crates" that drop 50% when you kill a creep.
Any other features that you'd like to see?
Also added screenshake.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2010, 02:00:35 AM by YagerX » Logged

Enshoku
Level 1

woooo~

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2010, 02:26:54 AM »

3 emergency full screen wiping nukes, for when the hell swarm is about to fuck your shit up and cost you 20+ lives. Also each nuke costs 250 score and reciprocates no points for enemies killed.

Also, got 3317 on my fourth try...not bad, eh?
YagerX
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2010, 02:38:12 AM »

3 emergency full screen wiping nukes, for when the hell swarm is about to fuck your shit up and cost you 20+ lives. Also each nuke costs 250 score and reciprocates no points for enemies killed.

Also, got 3317 on my fourth try...not bad, eh?

Epileptic
 Kiss Kiss
Will impliment these tomorrow =D

EDIT: I think the screen clearing bombs should cost X amount of bullets? 10 perhaps?
« Last Edit: May 22, 2010, 02:52:11 AM by YagerX » Logged

sc_q_jayce
Level 0

Let's Clean the Toilet!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2010, 08:34:25 AM »

Just played the game for the first time.

I think it's broken with the new fixes.  The current mechanic of 50% drop rate of ammo boxes makes the game almost impossible to lose.  I started playing for a while, went to do something else, came back with ammo of about fifteen, and started playing again.  Got back up to ammo of about sixty before I got tired and suicided myself into a crowd of about sixty creeps or so.  My score was about 5800+ at this point.

The problem with the current proliferation of bullets is that I don't even try to dodge them.  I just circle around endlessly, letting myself get hit about ten times before I place a well aimed shot and collect about twenty to thirty pieces of ammo, always with a positive net gain.

The way it is right now, I don't know if the screen clearing bombs is even necessary.  I think it's a good idea to have bullet drops, but should be rare.  Maybe something like... a 1% or 2% chance to get five bullets back?  I think this would both encourage the necessity of killing more than one creep per shot, as well as keep the bullets incredibly rare so that they become a precious commodity.  So at a 2% rate, one shot killing thirty four creeps simultaneously might give you a 50% chance of getting five (or more) ammo back.  The risk of letting creeps build for that long (and thus getting hurt) might make such a tactic risky, but for a good player, invaluable.

Just my thoughts!

Run, don't walk.
Enshoku
Level 1

woooo~

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2010, 09:28:04 AM »

A couple things.

The new border line is nice, but you may wanna go eith gray or black next revision, red is a bit jarring.

The enemies need more random spread to their movements, especially with the addition of gaining bullets. You hit the center of the corraled mob and you are swimming in bullets. If they fanned out more and chased you with varying speeds/turn acceleration it'd be more difficult.

I'm getting random lags from the game, which is odd, considering I'm running on a computer with a dual core and 4 gigs of ram, maybe its conflicting with something else?
YagerX
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2010, 05:07:51 PM »

Alright, grey border it is, I'll probably make the acceleration different for each square.
I'm not sure what the lag is but I think I'm getting it too (practically the exact same specs), I'll look into it.

EDIT:
Just played the game for the first time.

I think it's broken with the new fixes.  The current mechanic of 50% drop rate of ammo boxes makes the game almost impossible to lose.  I started playing for a while, went to do something else, came back with ammo of about fifteen, and started playing again.  Got back up to ammo of about sixty before I got tired and suicided myself into a crowd of about sixty creeps or so.  My score was about 5800+ at this point.

The problem with the current proliferation of bullets is that I don't even try to dodge them.  I just circle around endlessly, letting myself get hit about ten times before I place a well aimed shot and collect about twenty to thirty pieces of ammo, always with a positive net gain.

The way it is right now, I don't know if the screen clearing bombs is even necessary.  I think it's a good idea to have bullet drops, but should be rare.  Maybe something like... a 1% or 2% chance to get five bullets back?  I think this would both encourage the necessity of killing more than one creep per shot, as well as keep the bullets incredibly rare so that they become a precious commodity.  So at a 2% rate, one shot killing thirty four creeps simultaneously might give you a 50% chance of getting five (or more) ammo back.  The risk of letting creeps build for that long (and thus getting hurt) might make such a tactic risky, but for a good player, invaluable.

Just my thoughts!

Hm, this was actually what I was worried about, I'll definately reduce the chance of an ammo drop.

Updated, no bombs nor bonuses for passifism yet.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2010, 05:20:01 PM by YagerX » Logged

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic