Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411576 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58444 Members - Latest Member: darkcitien

May 05, 2024, 03:09:49 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingDon't Look Back
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Print
Author Topic: Don't Look Back  (Read 25760 times)
Levin
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2009, 11:57:24 AM »

////SPOILER ALERT////
It would be cool if the person standing at the grave looked back. Smiley  Then maybe he (or she) would have been the one who doubted.

It's still a great ending, though!

When I finished it, I tought the same  Grin

Anyway, it's a great game, hard and stylish.
###SPOILER### I love the Orpheus stuff in the second part. Good job!  Beer!
Hideous
That's cool.
Level 10

3D models are the best

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2009, 12:23:03 PM »

am I really the only one who does not really like this game? Undecided

Terry
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2009, 01:19:58 PM »

Thanks all! Kiss

Just thought I should mention; Kongregate have gone and added badges to the game - thought you might like to know if you collect those sort of things! Gentleman

am I really the only one who does not really like this game? Undecided

Far from it, judging from some of the comments on Kongregate. Shrug

Titch
Level 3

Cautiously Pragmatic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2009, 02:27:52 PM »

Thought you might like to know you got plugged by Kotaku

gunswordfist
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: March 06, 2009, 03:06:05 PM »

That was one of the best Flash games I've ever played. It easily had the best story. I was planning on saying 'This game could have easily been sold for $70 back in the day' but now I don't even know what to say to describe it. heh

Oh and can someone clear up the ending for me. Did the hero and his girlfriend disappear because the hero was looking back as in looking back to memories of his girlfriend? Either way, that was some of the best use of mythology I've ever seen in a game.

Indie games I have purchased:
Spelunky
Shoot 1UP
gunswordfist
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: March 06, 2009, 03:18:09 PM »

This is pretty darn fun! Your first boss had me confused for a second, but then I showed it who was boss. I'll be finishing this later.
lol I had fun showing him who's boss too.
Cool game.  I almost gave up on the black screen and the screen with the 3 jumpers but otherwise the difficulty made it engaging for me. 

I wonder if you are also a fan of Out of this World (Another World).
Hmmm..it actually did remind me of that game.

Spelunky
Shoot 1UP
Ryx
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 06, 2009, 10:17:53 PM »

I really did not like it. The controls were awkward and the gameplay made me want to shoot myself because of how ridiculously hard and filled with fake difficulty it was.

I like terry's other games but this seems overrated to me.
William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 07, 2009, 12:54:35 AM »

Just played through this again and I noticed that with the step cliffs and constantly going downwards, it looks a lot like Dante's geography of Hell, right? Was this intentional?

gunswordfist
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: March 07, 2009, 01:23:35 AM »

Just played through this again and I noticed that with the step cliffs and constantly going downwards, it looks a lot like Dante's geography of Hell, right? Was this intentional?
Hmm, I'll have to look for that.

Spelunky
Shoot 1UP
andy wolff
Level 10

-------

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 07, 2009, 09:57:12 AM »

the gameplay made me want to shoot myself because of how ridiculously hard and filled with fake difficulty it was.
really? I thought it was pretty easy

JLJac
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 07, 2009, 10:06:49 AM »

I can't play it, controls are all screwed up Sad The buttons toggles, making him run in one direction for several seconds after releasing that button.
Terry
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: March 07, 2009, 03:39:52 PM »

I can't play it, controls are all screwed up Sad The buttons toggles, making him run in one direction for several seconds after releasing that button.

FUCK YEAH! Kiss

JLJac, are you by any chance running Ubuntu Linux? Are you up for doing a few test builds tomorrow? There are a handful of people reporting this bug and I can't fix it because I can't replicate it myself...

Dacke
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 07, 2009, 04:04:25 PM »

Works perfectly in my Ubuntu 8.10 with Firefox 3.0.5. If it makes any difference Durr...?

programming • free software
animal liberation • veganism
anarcho-communism • intersectionality • feminism
gunswordfist
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: March 07, 2009, 04:22:43 PM »

the gameplay made me want to shoot myself because of how ridiculously hard and filled with fake difficulty it was.
Yeah the difficulty was fair as Hell. Get it? Ah nevermind.
really? I thought it was pretty easy

Spelunky
Shoot 1UP
Noyb
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: March 07, 2009, 08:05:05 PM »

Awesome game. The gameplay was never frustrating, the music is lovely, and the second half's mechanics were really clever in light of its mythic inspiration. Smiley

I find this hilarious in light of EA's Dante's Inferno game taking its plot from the myth of Orpheus. Terry beat them to the punch with what is most likely a surprisingly more faithful retelling (apart from replacing his lyre with a handgun).  :D Hand Thumbs Up Right

rogerlevy
« Reply #35 on: March 07, 2009, 10:19:23 PM »

This is a really noteworthy attempt at the emotionally-involving video game genre. Congratulations.

The ending was chilling.

If I were to critique the game, and what's great about it is there is not "too much" so there is little TO critique, but I'd say that the player's animations and sounds seemed under-developed.  For instance climbing a rope just made the guy seem to levitate and for me this broke the suspension-of-disbelief a bit.  HOWEVER, despite this, the atmosphere, and the audio style, was REALLY effective.  The feeling of dread in fighting the bosses was rich.

All in all this game is great food for thought.  Thanks for making it!
JLJac
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 07, 2009, 11:36:11 PM »

FUCK YEAH! Kiss

JLJac, are you by any chance running Ubuntu Linux? Are you up for doing a few test builds tomorrow? There are a handful of people reporting this bug and I can't fix it because I can't replicate it myself...

I'm on a vista computer :D :D :D

But sure, send 'em over!
Terry
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: March 08, 2009, 07:48:01 AM »

Will do! I really have no idea where to start with this so I'm just gonna try a bunch of random stuff and hope something works...

To be honest, I really just based the game layout on Hades... Droop

Incidentally, for some reason nobody seems to have picked up on the fact that the river you cross is supposed to be Styx, heh. I decided against the whole boatman thing latish in development because I thought it would make it too obvious... Not that it matters too much now, seeing as everywhere I go I see comments like "Orpheus LOL". (Not that I don't appreciate both writeups, but Kokatu and JayIsGames both spoiled the game's left turn pretty explicitly...)

I really did not like it. The controls were awkward and the gameplay made me want to shoot myself because of how ridiculously hard and filled with fake difficulty it was.

I like terry's other games but this seems overrated to me.

Fair enough. I have absolutely no idea what you mean by "fake difficulty", though. Shrug

« Last Edit: March 08, 2009, 08:02:46 AM by Terry » Logged

Corpus
« Reply #38 on: March 08, 2009, 07:52:29 AM »

I think that's when you think that something's really hard, but then you get to the end and you realise it was easy all along. Everyone laughs amiably and numerous back-pattings take place.
Terrorbuns
Level 4

Bluh bluh.

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 08, 2009, 08:11:08 PM »

I played this game before I even joined this forum. I loved this game, it was pretty awesome. There were a few spots it was like "I'm going to make i-darnit, missed." But yea, I really liked the second boss fight. That was pretty awesome. The first one was ok too, and very well designed. I liked the atmosphere and story (even though no words were used, it was VERY well pulled off.)

I think I might've abused the word 'very' up there, but in short, I enjoyed this game a lot the short time it took to beat it.

And the last part, very cool. The first time I "looked back" startled me, though I was kinda expecting it Tongue
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic