Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411595 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58444 Members - Latest Member: FightingFoxGame

May 07, 2024, 02:55:33 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperDesignI'm bored. What do I DO!?
Poll
Question: What should I do?
Compose
Draw
Code
Design
Write

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: I'm bored. What do I DO!?  (Read 3189 times)
antymattar
Level 5

Has earned the contemporary *Banned* medal

View Profile
« on: February 27, 2011, 07:39:40 AM »

YES. I AM BORED!  Concerned....

I hate this stuff. I WANT to be creative but I just CAN'T DO it. I WASNT to make games but I feel like it's SOOO far till completion. What do I do!?  I usually start working on my game, then I have some small progress... then I get bored. I want to start a new game and...NO!!! Must no abandon project! I have no idea how to speed up progress and seeing all of thie MARVELOUS stuff you guys make... man...  Lips Sealed.

ANtY
Level 10

i accidentally did that on purpose

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2011, 07:45:25 AM »

Find someone to work with, someone more motivated than you Wink

antymattar
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2011, 07:49:39 AM »

I already do! I'm painting. That's why I have a draw option in the poll. Normally I don't draw by myself(except when I'm in a strange mood  Noir).

Theophilus
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2011, 08:41:16 AM »

Draw! IT will help you garner inspiration. Just draw some crazy stuff that comes into your head. Draw your favorite animal combined with your favorite food in your favorite art style using your favorite colors. Then, make a game with him as the main character.

To be honest, I feel the same way. This is the reason I have not released a game yet. Derek wrote some stuff about this a bit ago, here it is:

http://makegames.tumblr.com/post/1136623767/finishing-a-game
antymattar
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2011, 10:08:40 AM »

Thanks! That's a good read there. Got me to making that game again.

SundownKid
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2011, 12:28:46 PM »

I think you should practice drawing more. Namely, for my game. Cheesy But seriously, you have a lot of time to improve, you should branch out to other types of art and improve your general technique.

antymattar
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2011, 12:35:44 PM »

I know. I'm trying. The game is LOW-REZ so that shouldn't be toooooo hard. But, I geet to the point of thinking "Nah that sucks because it's too different/bad compared to everything else". Mainly the progress dampener.  Facepalm

Theophilus
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2011, 03:04:29 PM »

You need to stop comparing your work to the work of everyone else. This was a huge obstacle for me. Creativity is not a contest. Games are an art form. Do you compare paintings of Picasso to Da Vinci? You may have a preference, but there is no better painting in terms of what the painting is. All you can do is make sure you paint it your best; program it as efficiently as possible. Make the art awesome. Polish the sound so it's like an eargasm. Go make that game!
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2011, 03:18:06 PM »

Quote from: article theophilus linked
It’s possible, while prototyping, that you discover a mechanic that’s MORE fun than what you originally thought the core mechanic was - consider making that the new core mechanic!
Pure, undiluted truth right there. I feel a lot of people cling desperately to their "grand vision" even if it turns out to be shit. A huge part of game design (for me) is experimentation, fiddling with different ideas until you find something that works. This requires that you don't become too attached to your ideas of course.
SundownKid
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2011, 03:37:30 PM »

Yeah, your pixelling may not be as good as artistic veterans but it's better than many people's, including myself. Nobody can be a master of everything so play to your strengths. That said, I don't think you should say something is a piece of cake unless you finished it already.  Cheesy

Nix
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2011, 04:59:34 PM »

The more you design, the more likely you are to come up with the next big indie hit.
Coz
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2011, 05:32:07 AM »

Think your current project is too big? make it smaller and use the easiest tools you can

Find something that you are really passionate about.

Or.. prototype games! make small games that can be done in a weekend then move to the next

Like ANtY said, you could also make a game with someone else, that might keep you motivated

And like Theophilus said, stop comparing yourself to others. Everyone has different streghts and experiences.
ANtY
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2011, 06:41:07 AM »

Agree, you can't compare yourself to ppl which were spending years on painting/drawing/programming and you are beginner yet. You can just do your best, look at games like original Spelunky/Minecraft - they don't have good graphics and they are still good. If u finish one project, it'll be so much easier to finish next, and then it'll be easy to find ppl to help you with better graphics/programming, etc. and then you won't even think about leaving the project. You just need some experience in gamedev.

emacs
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2011, 12:43:31 PM »

Masturbate Corny Laugh
                 Hand Shake Left
Browse the interwebs, that's where I find a lot of my inspiration.

ANtY
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2011, 12:55:06 PM »

That's where I find a lot of my wasted time Sad

antymattar
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2011, 12:25:21 PM »

That's where I find a lot of my wasted time Sad
I second that!  Facepalm

Shackhal
Level 9

Like a child with toys

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2011, 01:08:17 PM »

How about it?

Imagine the first thing that pop up in your head and draw it. Like a brainstorm. It could be fun and you could use it in your game Wink

dantheman363
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2011, 01:20:43 PM »

Just starting working on something, eventually the inspiration will come.

baconman
Level 10

Design Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2011, 08:18:13 PM »

I too, seem to be finding myself eternally tethered to online stimulation, and the ever-overgrowing design aspects. Doing the groundwork is easy to procrastinate indefinitely. That's where the tough stuff comes in.

Baby step that shit! Do one thing a day. Illustrate a spritesheet. Code an object or two. Compose a beat, or a song. But stop trying to do everything all at once. Also, this is just as much a note for me as it is for you!

EDIT:

Better yet. Compose a few playlists that are 1-2 hours long. Play one of those, and work while it plays. Once it's over, get to the next point where you can stop and pick up where you left off easily, and wrap up what you're doing for the day. NOW, you're allowed to fiddle-fuck around online or on games all you want.

antymattar
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2011, 10:12:23 AM »

Better yet. Compose a few playlists that are 1-2 hours long. Play one of those, and work while it plays. Once it's over, get to the next point where you can stop and pick up where you left off easily, and wrap up what you're doing for the day. NOW, you're allowed to fiddle-fuck around online or on games all you want.

Dude, I like, totally did that. I have this piece called capped:
http://hepton.bandcamp.com/track/capped

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic