Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411576 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58444 Members - Latest Member: darkcitien

May 04, 2024, 10:09:13 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsSpace Pebbles (asteroids clone?)
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Space Pebbles (asteroids clone?)  (Read 1099 times)
compostface
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: March 30, 2013, 10:43:50 AM »

I've been making an asteroids clone type thing for a few weeks now...

I'm using Löve and the http://libzoetrope.org/ library for the code.

The other projects and half finished things I was working on seemed to be too ambitious for a first game.

So I'm trying to keep this as simple as I can while still making it interesting enough that I want to actually finish it.
I have lot's of ideas to expand it, but I wanted to use this as an opportunity to actually finish something, so I will try not to add too many of them.  

Link to magical moving picture thing: https://i.minus.com/iBRr8ioB052M7.gif

Screenshot...

I've implemented(or at least set up) a lot of the base game...
- player control (including gamepad support)
- medium and large asteroids
- basic lasers
- collision
- HUD and camera stuff
- other things I'm forgetting
- also put some time into starting the artwork and music

I'll post a playable version very soon.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2013, 11:21:55 AM by compostface » Logged

ananasblau
Level 2

dressed up

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2013, 01:26:42 PM »

Very sensible for a first scope, but you need to throw more effects on it. Shake the screen when an astroid near you explodes, particles everywhere, a sun in the background so you can put lens flare in like JJ Abrams would.

What's the thing you never liked about asteroids? I always wanted to try and improve this ridiculous small playing field of astroids but just never found something practical.

If you need a buildscript to automatize releasing for all platforms, I have one extended from on josefnpat did https://github.com/TomK32/Poppy/blob/master/build.sh (it uses git but you can just remove the lines and put static values in).

compostface
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2013, 01:18:33 AM »

Very sensible for a first scope, but you need to throw more effects on it. Shake the screen when an astroid near you explodes, particles everywhere, a sun in the background so you can put lens flare in like JJ Abrams would.

What's the thing you never liked about asteroids? I always wanted to try and improve this ridiculous small playing field of astroids but just never found something practical.

If you need a buildscript to automatize releasing for all platforms, I have one extended from on josefnpat did https://github.com/TomK32/Poppy/blob/master/build.sh (it uses git but you can just remove the lines and put static values in).

Screen shake happens when you get hit...  I'd like to do other effects and things, but I should probably focus on the animations before that.

The small playing field is actually one thing I have been trying to figure out as well.  I tried bouncy walls, the regular wraparound, and the regular wraparound method but bigger.  I think I'm going to end up having a somewhat open field, and just not let the player get too far from the center(warn them, and then cause them to die from something odd).  The asteroids will either wrap around, or maybe be on specific orbits.

Thanks for linking to your buildscript... I can't say I know how to work it though.
----

I've been working on code mostly, and experimenting with different ideas.  I'm going to hold off on posting the game until it feels a little bit more settled.  
Controls are something I don't like about the original.  I've added a boost if you double tap on the up arrow key.  If you hit the down key once you slow to a stop and if you double tap it you go into reverse.  At first I had it so you activated the reverse and boost by holding down shift.  I'm not sure which is better... Shift is more precise, but I like keeping the amount of buttons to a minimum.

It feels weird posting without an image, so here's the palette I've been working with:

And a concept drawing:
« Last Edit: April 06, 2013, 02:22:45 AM by compostface » Logged

compostface
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2013, 01:44:11 AM »

Warning! Instant death.
I'm going with an arbitrary border, but instead of invisible walls... you'll get attacked, by... something.
I guess like the snow monster in "SkiFree".

motorherp
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2013, 01:58:30 AM »

Its nice to see someone getting some use out of my palette tool  Smiley.  Looking nice, good luck getting this finished.
compostface
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2013, 02:37:57 PM »

Its nice to see someone getting some use out of my palette tool  Smiley.  Looking nice, good luck getting this finished.

Yah, thanks for making that.  It's a great starting point.

---

I'm working on a radar system, and a basic enemy type.  Probably a bit sidetracked at this point. 

compostface
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2013, 11:52:03 AM »

Finally got back to working on this... here is something full of bugs, but you can fly around and shoot things.  I disabled the audio for now.

I'm not sure If I will keep working on it any further... I've learned a bunch of things from it, but it seems pointless to put a bunch more work into something that I only started in order to get to something finished?  Feels like polishing a turd at this point.  Or polishing an uninteresting idea at least.

---

F: to shoot
arrow keys: to move
shift: to go faster/move in reverse

Need to have Löve installed:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/23122162/asteroids/spacePebbles0.6.1.love

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic