Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411710 Posts in 69402 Topics- by 58456 Members - Latest Member: FezzikTheGiant

May 20, 2024, 08:40:10 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallThe Obligatory Introduce Yourself Thread
Pages: 1 ... 123 124 [125] 126 127 ... 602
Print
Author Topic: The Obligatory Introduce Yourself Thread  (Read 1976617 times)
biomechanic
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #2480 on: July 07, 2009, 09:10:20 PM »

Hi.
I'm Michal - a mediocre artist and lousy programmer who wants to make awesome games.
falsion
« Reply #2481 on: July 07, 2009, 09:24:51 PM »

I post on this forum regularly, so I don't know if I really need to introduce myself at this point. But since I never actually properly introduced myself, I might as well do so now.

Anyway, I am from the long defunct old school klik community (which consisted of the IRC channel #k&p and website Total Klik, both of which are dead now).

I was one of the first members of Natomic. They didn't like me much and eventually kicked me out of their group (then again, looking back now I don't blame them). While I while still a member, I helped co-create a game called Project 053 with a guy named Brad (who was then known as "{AKIRA}").

That was the only game I've ever completed. In fact, one of the reasons I got kicked out of Natomic was to the fact that I would start projects then never finish them. Not only that, but whatever progress I did show was pretty crappy, especially in comparison to the amazing games that the other members were churning out.

I still struggle with completing games or even getting started on them to this day. It's something I've never been able to overcome. But maybe some day I will make and complete an actual game on my own. Maybe. Just maybe..
godsavant
« Reply #2482 on: July 07, 2009, 10:22:24 PM »

These 'Natomic' guys sound like total dicks.
falsion
« Reply #2483 on: July 07, 2009, 11:01:30 PM »

Well, we're talking about the people who brought you the Spirit Engine, not to mention several other classic klik games. You know Blake, the guy who is working on Project Rhapsody and Owlboy? He was one of their members as well.

Honestly, I was not at their level at all. Especially back then, I was only like 14 or 15 at the time. I didn't know even half the things I do now.
mark_i_efc
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2484 on: July 08, 2009, 04:34:31 AM »

I wrote a big mad one of these out just before and then the site timed out, so it was all lost, bah. Nevermind, here goes an even more condensed history.

Been in the games industry for 16 years now, started at Psygnosis working in QA on anything from Amiga Wiz and Liz to any number of Wipeout's before the redundancies kicked in.

So I went to EA/Bullfrog, it was challenging and professional, but a bit of a lull period for their games, I moved on.

I went to work as a Producer for WAP and J2ME titles in Nokia at the start of the explosion of that market before the redundancies kicked in.

I then went on to work for Morpheme, a small developer in North London, we made a heady mixture of J2ME, PC and Flash games before the redundancies kicked in.

Now myself and two ex-Morpheme staff set up Honeyslug, making original, quirky titles on a number of platforms.

Hello all!
agamerguy
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2485 on: July 09, 2009, 10:21:31 AM »

Hi, I'm Nicholas Allen, been into game development for what seems like forever, and love the indie scene. I have no idea why I haven't joined sooner. I'm mainly a programmer, but don't like to limit myself. I'm extremely visually driven, and love working with graphics technology and even doing texturing and modeling myself.

I started making games with Qbasic, then moving onto Klik & Play. I found one of my first games which you can download, Rebel Fear.

I'm curious if anyone out there remembers me from those days, I used to go as NicOfHive or put games/demos out under Hive Productions. Looking back I can't believe how far I've come from those days! I did get Multimedia Fusion too, but fell away from the community around the same time as I started college.

My career in game development did get started officially at college, as I eventually attended DigiPen for a while, got a job at Icarus Studios, then at Oasys Mobile, and now have been working for myself creating iPhone games, which you can see here.

I'm very interested in the avanue's opening for indipendent game developers beyond the PC, with xblive community games and the iPhone. As such, some friends and I are developing a new game with our own tech for xblive and PC (maybe eventually iPhone) in the vein of Castlevania SotN and Metroid, yet make it multiplayer. As we develop it more be sure to keep an eye out on the devlogs!

All I want to do is keep making games.
AwesomeATrain
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2486 on: July 09, 2009, 12:56:44 PM »

A quote from my previous thread:

Hello Everyone. I'm Addam A-Train Waitkus and I've been a programmer, 3D Artist, game developer, and much more for the last 7 ish years. Some of you may or may not know of all the work I've accomplished over the last few years, all or most of it was done on EA and Dice's Battlefield series, going all the way from Battlefield 1942 to Battlefield 2142, spanning all those 4 games and their booster packs. Some of the work has been involved with working along side EA and assisting EA in converting a lot of their old software into the new engines and such. The last piece of work I've done was a simple modification to Battlefield 2142 called Zombie Community, where I took the existing engine and added new lighting and special effects that the 2142 engine hasn't seen before.  That was a non-profit project in my spare time that earned me no money but was extremely fun to do.  It took about 2 weeks to make.

I've been a gamer for most of my entire life but not really got hard core into it until I went to college and got my first computer that wasn't my parents, about 8 years ago.  Up until the beginning of this year, I still had that computer.  I now run off a custom built rig I designed myself with modified hardware that doesn't always want to give me everything I want, but meh, it does the job.  I would say shortly after I got my first rig I started gaming like crazy.  It wasn't long that I started playing bf1942 and thought how could it would be to mod the game.  I failed in most of the projects I started and such but I got a lucky break and found some people to take me under their wing.  From there I learned many things.  I didn't get hard-core into game development until the last 3-4 years where I was lucky enough to be blessed with a brain and used all the programming skills I learned from school and brought them into gaming.  From there, I sky rocketed and here I am now, ready to start this new game.

My passion is sitting at home, not playing games, but creating and modifying existing games.
LordAndrew
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2487 on: July 09, 2009, 05:29:11 PM »

Well, hm.  My name is Andrew.~  I've been lurking here for about a week now after discovering Spelunky from a few friends about a few months ago, and have been periodically watching this place.

In the line of... making games though, I'm not too good.  I only know how to use Visual Basic (if that counts for... game-making) and BYOND (which I also suck at :D!)  I've always wanted to create games, but I'm awful at it.  The only good thing I've ever made is a little game that is simple to roleplay on (since that's one of my main hobbies.  :D)  I know how to make graphics but again they're also awful.  :D!

Epileptic
JaJitsu
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2488 on: July 09, 2009, 05:34:47 PM »

squiddies = <3

plugexpert
Level 0

TRACKER

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2489 on: July 09, 2009, 05:40:48 PM »

nevermind
« Last Edit: June 14, 2011, 05:59:24 AM by plugexpert » Logged
LemonScented
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #2490 on: July 09, 2009, 06:21:58 PM »

I guess this is where I start Smiley

My name's Jack, and I make indie games. That is to say, I'm making one now, and I hope you'll like it when it's done, and I hope I'll make some more in the future.

I started programming in 1989, on the BBC Micro, and wanted to make games right from the start. I released a few, in the late '80s and early '90s, games you probably haven't heard of on 8-bit machines you probably haven't heard of. It was before what we do was called "indie", when it was just called "making games", because that's how things were done then. There was a hiatus when I went to college and university, and then I worked in "The Industry" for a bit. For my day-job now I'm still a programmer, but I'm not making games anymore. I do that in my spare time.

I'll do the plug now, and get it out of the way. There's nothing for me to try to sell you yet, just some things you can look at and comment on. This is my website: http://www.lemonscentedgames.com/

It's not been updated for a while because my cohorts and I have been busy with the game. Updates should start happening soon though, and they'll be regular. For the lazy, this is the last video we did of our engine:

The game is set in a paint factory, features fluid physics as its main "thing", and should hopefully tell an interesting story into the bargain.

I'm not sure what else I can tell you as an introduction. Although I've been making games for years, I'm somewhat new to the Indie "scene". It's in my blood, it's what I am to the very core of my being, and I hope that you'll like that. I like what I've seen here by lurking so far, so I hope that there will be much more liking-ness as I kick about here and read things and maybe say things too.

Keep it zesty,
Jack

moonmagic
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2491 on: July 10, 2009, 02:49:18 PM »

Hi y'all. My name is Kyle. I live in Seattle and I look like this:

That is Tiffany in the background, making RSVP cards for getting married. Now we are married.

I got started playing games on a Commodore 64 owned by my grandmother. I loved turning it on, putting in the ridiculous large floppies, and wrestling with what the hell was supposed to be going on in Beachhead. My favorite game was Jumpman.

I liked the Bombs Away! level the best, although Hotfoot was a good one, too.

My parents were distrustful of video games while I was growing up, so I did most of my playing at friends' houses. This was probably to the detriment of quite a few friendships, as the novelty of video games had worn off by the time I arrived. I first remember Mario being played at a big party my parents were at. People were taking turns in the living room while others mingled with drinks and stories. Mario 3 was the first game to consume an entire night of sleep.

Now I pretty much play anything, although I gravitate toward games from the 16- and 8-bit eras. Tif and I like to play games on the DS together, like Bomberman, and Bangai-O. My favorite game is R-Type for the PC-Engine, although I associate it with my teeth (orthodontist had a coin-op).

By day, usually, I am an elementary school teacher. Tif teaches kids with emotional and behavioral disorders. We run a small record label in our spare time, and we have a band devoted to making weird, dorky, noisy pop. I started making games because I wanted to distribute little video games with some of our songs.

Also, we have rabbits to go with our cat:

They are called Scully and Mulder.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2009, 12:51:28 AM by moonmagic » Logged

|
OMGAlec
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2492 on: July 10, 2009, 09:57:50 PM »

Hey.

(I'm horrible with introductions.)

I'm a repeat lurker of many forums.  This is pretty much the first time I've posted to a forum in about five years.  I like this place though, the average post length pleases me greatly and it's not hard to find an interesting and intellectual conversation on here (Compared to the usual drivel I find in most online communities anyway)

On the subject of independent gaming, I wish I were more involved, though I am starting to merge my two disciplines together in the form of making games; something I haven't done since back in highschool with The Games Factory.  Since then I've spent two years studying IT, three years as a graphic design major, and all throughout as a programmer and web designer.  Shameless plug for seldom updated blog:  http://www.omgalec.com  (The design of which was wholy done by me)

I spent about four years running campaigns using my own Pen and Paper roleplaying system.  My players all spoke highly of my storytelling ability and the spark of gamedesign brought back those good feelings I had when making 2d platformers with TGF.  Now, I try to use the knowledge I've learned through years of meandering into and out of different disciplines and craft something enjoyable.

I think I've finally found a community in which I could feel at home.

Nice ta meetcha   Gentleman

I want to be a [programmer; designer; photographer; musician; writer] but all I am is -me-
godsavant
« Reply #2493 on: July 11, 2009, 06:14:35 AM »

By day, usually, I am an elementary school teacher. Tif teaches kids with emotional and behavioral disorders. We run a small record label in our spare time, and we have a band devoted to making weird, dorky, noisy pop. I started making games because I wanted to distribute little video games with some of our songs.

You, Kyle, are a maverick. Welcome.

I spent about four years running campaigns using my own Pen and Paper roleplaying system.  My players all spoke highly of my storytelling ability and the spark of gamedesign brought back those good feelings I had when making 2d platformers with TGF.  Now, I try to use the knowledge I've learned through years of meandering into and out of different disciplines and craft something enjoyable.

I think I've finally found a community in which I could feel at home.

Nice ta meetcha   Gentleman

This guy sounds pretty cool; I've tried developing game design skills w/ tabletop RPGs, but it always deteriorates into hilarity.

desertdweller
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2494 on: July 11, 2009, 01:18:20 PM »

Well, might as well start here...

Hello everyone, my name is Josh.  I'm from Arizona, and am 16 years old.

When I was 11 years old I began tooling around with Game Maker, and made some very simple games by myself over the next three years.

I then joined the Game Maker Community, but have become less active as of late.  Over the years I have begun many projects, most of which are so lacking in structure that I won't post them here.  My main struggle with game development is the designing aspect--I get too anxious with my undeveloped ideas, try to throw a game together, and then drop it within a couple of weeks once I don't know what to do next.  Repeat.

However, over this past year, I've learned to overcome that, and am now actively developing an educational game called Definitive Defense.  In short, it's a tower defense game where whether or not a shot hits depends on if the player answers a vocabulary question correctly.  The player is given a definition, and must choose which of the four possible words given is best defined by said definition.

Over the past several months a couple of friends and I have been running the GameCOG Community, which is meant to be a site where developers and post projects and blog about development without the hassle of creating their own site.

Just recently I've been looking to write some music of my own.  I've been tooling around with MadTracker 2.

So I guess that's me.

EDIT:  What in the world is up with this Manbaby stuff?  Are you guys trying to scare away newbies around here?
« Last Edit: July 11, 2009, 01:35:15 PM by desertdweller » Logged

Sponsored by:
GameMold.com
Phil A
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2495 on: July 11, 2009, 03:27:55 PM »

Hello. Like many, I've been lurking for a while and enjoying reading older posts to see what people are working on. I live in London where I write financial trading software by day. I find game programming to be a wonderful hobby which takes me far away from the tedium.

My tastes are mainly arcade games, especially 'traditional' shmups. I've recently been over indulging in the Wii Virtual Console where I can finally play all the great PC Engine titles I missed out on as a kid.

As for achievements, my total output to date consists of a scrolling starfield for the BBC Micro and an unfinished, though somewhat playable, Space Invaders clone that I called "Rubbish Invaders" (screenshot with bad particle effects below). As for the future, I had hoped to avoid naive ambition yet I've convinced myself that I can make a shmup. I just hope I don't have to christen it "Rubbish R-Type"!

Brandorf
Level 0

I feel like I could take over the world!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2496 on: July 12, 2009, 09:06:54 AM »

Howdy, I'm a developer who now lives in the Midwest after graduating from Full Sail with Mr. Chocolatebear.

My tastes are varied, but I have a very strong affinity for retro themed games, especially ones with good chiptune styled music.  The first PC game I played at any length was Tyrian which I have still been known to obsess over.

I actually cut my programming teeth on an old TI 99/4a home computer.  Cartridge and cassette based, keying in BASIC programs thousand of lines long with no real text editor to speak of, and having to save out to cassette tape, then pray it loads again. It was dated even when I started messing with it, that only made it cheaper to get software and parts for it.

I tend to be very critical of my own work, I don't really show any of the work I did before full sail, both because it would be embarrassing, and because none of it exists anymore (though I do have some tapes that have a text adventure I wrote for the TI, heh).  I worked on Task Manager (www.teamrecursive.com), which by far is some of my best work to date.
MrChocolateBear
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2497 on: July 12, 2009, 10:30:17 AM »

Welcome to the forums Brandorf! Grin
I hope to see a lot of you around here!

Fulgore
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2498 on: July 12, 2009, 03:54:14 PM »

OK so i think its my turn, ... rigth?

here i go

Im Colombian, and i like games a lot, im studing System Engineering, well thats how the College (Universidad de Antioquia) calls it, but a lot of people think like i do, that it is Software Engineering (o and i think Greender is with me in this), but thats ok. Oooo and mi name is Daniel, so thats me.

I had my first game experience with Atari 2600, and I remember the most, this part of it,

losing to mi brother (I’m like the white one, but with 0-8 score, im the 0)

Next i got the NES, and play this like hell

here in latin america we called it Goal 3, but the real name is Nekketsu Kōkō Dodgeball Bu: Soccer Hen

then the Super NES, where i buy this awesome game

then a N64 where I played Star Fox, 007, Mario Cart, and FIFA, with 2 friends on a 32 inches TV, the best multiplayer of all times. Next I changed the N64 for a PS where I meet the Kojima master piece (I know you know). Afther that a PS2 and no more.

i think thats all. See ya on the forums.

\"I don\'t mean to sound cold, or cruel, or vicious, but I am\" - Bill Hicks
Colon Semicolon
Level 2

GREAT WARLORD ATLUS SAN

View Profile
« Reply #2499 on: July 13, 2009, 04:26:01 AM »

I don't remember much about myself these days. I'm too tired and nerve-racked to get much further than I like robots, shows about them, and I have a goal in life i wanna fulfill.

It has something to do with these cool dudes, but right now I dunno if I'll ever get where I can do anything with them. only time will tell!

My favorite game is in my signature, and you'd be best to go out and give it a play sometime. gotta love 2D mech games!
« Last Edit: July 13, 2009, 04:31:54 AM by Colon Semicolon » Logged

DINGLING DONGLE DORKS AGAIN ARE WE?
Pages: 1 ... 123 124 [125] 126 127 ... 602
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic