Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411616 Posts in 69390 Topics- by 58447 Members - Latest Member: sinsofsven

May 10, 2024, 10:24:00 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsLudum Dare 21! [Theme: Escape]
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Print
Author Topic: Ludum Dare 21! [Theme: Escape]  (Read 13756 times)
agersant
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: September 13, 2011, 06:43:31 AM »

Congratulations to you all (esp Chevy Ray). I'm super happy with my results too (#15 Overall, #5 Audio, #15 Graphics, #24 Fun)  Giggle
Sheepolution
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: September 13, 2011, 09:57:21 AM »

#40 overall LDJ :D
Not bad, from the 90 Tongue

Theophilus
« Reply #62 on: September 13, 2011, 10:43:31 AM »

I'm quite pleased with my results, #198 overall. Not the greatest but I think it's good for my first time. I should have had audio in my game...
droqen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: September 14, 2011, 05:59:21 AM »

I'd just consider theme when deciding the Overall score, and consider knocking a star off if it misses it by a long way.

I feel that the theme is given more to inspire and provide impetus, rather than be a straight-jacket around one's creativity. I don't think it's important enough to be rated. Smiley

Ah, but don't you think these two points are kind of contrary?

By keeping 'theme' a separate item, it can be graded separately from the rest of the game.

If the majority of people feel the same way about theme but theme doesn't exist as a separate item, you might find people docking points off the overall whereas with theme as a separate item a game with poor theme can simply be given a poor theme score and the overall can continue to function as the general pleasantness that the game delivers.

I don't really like the term "enjoyment" as it's too close to "fun" but exactly as intangible. It also doesn't really bring to mind "humor" (not that I think that's a broad enough category?).

Some suggestions as replacements for one or both: Charm or Emotion. Kind of vague on their own, though.

shruugg

sublinimal
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 15, 2011, 02:08:57 AM »

I've said it before and I'll say it again: humor is one type of mood, and not all games strive to be humorous. A general "mood" category would be better, since it'd reward comical/sad/heroic/surreal/nostalgic games for immersing players.

Anyway, this was a fun experience and I'm looking forward to do it again. I even finished 2nd in Community. Guess that gives me bragging rights for beating Notch, as long as nobody asks for the details. I was satisfied otherwise as well, only the aforementioned humor was rated below 3. After all, the only humor was probably the "Splat! Squeeze! Crunch!" kind of onomatopoeia on death, otherwise the setting was rather dark.
droqen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: September 17, 2011, 10:22:55 AM »

ah, mood's a good word.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic