Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411711 Posts in 69402 Topics- by 58456 Members - Latest Member: FezzikTheGiant

May 21, 2024, 12:17:27 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesBOH: indie game for PC \ Mac \ Linux \ Amiga OS
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8
Print
Author Topic: BOH: indie game for PC \ Mac \ Linux \ Amiga OS  (Read 43102 times)
Eclipse
Level 10

0xDEADC0DE

View Profile WWW
« on: July 14, 2009, 02:43:25 PM »

Introduction without that much relevance

There is in Italy a guy called Simone Bevilacqua (saimo here in the forums), he's not only and indie developer, he's the INDIER developer I know, even if he even doesn't care that much about the indie scene, contests or prizes, he care about making games and chatting a bit with him you can almost see how pride of his latest game he is, and you'll think how he's right, once you've played the demo.

His latest game is called BOH, a name that in italian makes people laugh. Whe use to say "boh?!" when we're higly in dubt, something we can use instead to say "i really don't know!"

Ok but why is this guy the indier developer i know?

BOH is one of the most niche titles i've ever had the pleasure to play.
It not only looks like a classic from the Amiga 500 times, it play like a classic from that era.

It's a difficult game that always ask you to come back for more, because every time you play you'll made it a little further, almost to the end of that damned dungeon.

He started to code this game on Amiga, then he ported it on Windows and Mac.

At this point, he had a dream. He wanted to see his game boxed, sold in a physical format, with a 25 pages long manual with delicious pixel art printed on almost every page.

So he started to self produce physical copies with the help of a little publisher that never published videogames before.

Basically this dude made a game for Amiga (and PC\mac of course), out in 2009, and he's selling it in physical copies.

(Also his next game is a commodore64 game, not a game that uses the c64 palette, a game that actually runs also on a commodore64).

This is the indiest thing I ever saw, I mean it in the way of doing something without thinking too much about what people wants or they think to want, and basically everything, from the game to the packaging, is a pure act of love.

Let's talk about the game dammit!

Now speaking about the game itself, this game is very very good, but not for everyone. Even if it can be played and enjoyed by everyone with a bit of patience this game is a love letter to retrogamers.
You move a tiny character inside biggers and biggers space dungeons (or even fantasy ones, but i'll talk about that later) and your mission is just to make it to the end.
The game uses a tile based dynamic lighting system, and a very fancy stuff that makes all the world around your little space marine rotate when you navigate the rooms.
You can collect different light sources and gadgets, like a short\long range enemies detectors or automappers that complete for you the minimap of the current floor.
Even with gadgets like that the game feels claustrophobic, and you'll be better to play it running over the corridors instead of blasting everything until you're trapped in a room with dozens of critters and bigger evil creatures.

The fact that the game spawn infinite monsters at you, triggered by certain events, makes the game itself looks like a cursed trial to your sanity, you will feel the anger of the game levels against you. It's like running inside pixelated places in the hands of a supernatural presence: The Evil Master.

Each mission has an Evil Master you need to evocate and then defeat, his ghostly presence will appear and disappear as you try to hunt him down, while all the screen flashes.

Finishing a mission in hard mode after beating one of them and all his minions is very rewarding, and maybe it's only because i have a fetish about dungeon crawlers but i'm in love with this game.

Now Saimo lets you buy it in digital download form: unluckly the shipping outside Italy is costly so he needed to try this solution as well, keep in mind that if you'll like the game you'll be able to buy the boxed version only paying the difference later on, and if you take that one from the start you will have immediate access to the download too, so you can order it and wait for the package arrive while already playing the game.

I really suggest you all to play the Demo, that runs on PC\Mac and Amiga OS, a Linux port is under consideration too but the game already runs flawlessy under Wine.

I'm sure even the only Tougher and Tougher mission on the demo will keep you busy for a while, i haven't still managed to complete all the floors (each phase is harder than the previous one). The full game offers a lot of different missions ranging from very easy to very hard, and it's really a blast.

Finally, the game also offers to you to make your own levels with a smart system of text files. You really don't need any fancy level editor even to do very complex stuff.

You can also mod all the graphics and sounds, and both the demo and the complete version ships with different themes, i enjoyed a lot the C64 one, that changes the game palette to look like a Commodore 64 game, and the Castle one, that makes the game a fantasy dungeon crawler, changing both graphics and sounds.

This is surely a game i'll play in pills, for a long time  Kiss

http://www.bohthegame.com/

this is the default "scifi" theme, notice how the rotation is not your fake average GM rotation that rotates also the pixels, the game uses the CPU for everything

and this is how the game looks like with the Castle theme, i love it

edit: Holy flooding Batman, this post is way longer than i've expected!  Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: August 05, 2009, 01:59:53 AM by Eclipse » Logged

<Powergloved_Andy> I once fapped to Dora the Explorer
Eclipse
Level 10

0xDEADC0DE

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2009, 02:52:07 PM »

didn't resist to post also some photo of the sexy package.

sorry for the craptastic quality but i did them using my mobile phone...

I'm happy almost like when i was child  Kiss

Danmark
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2009, 05:11:26 PM »

I liked the demo up until I reconfigured from the default control scheme, and found that you can't strafe and rotate at the same time. Seems a minor complaint, but it's far more annoying than total exclusion of strafing would've been.
Alec
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2009, 05:21:51 PM »

Mmmmm Amiga. Smiley

I definitely have some very fond memories of the ol' 500.

Looks hot.

undertech
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2009, 05:49:50 PM »

I can definitely appreciate the work that's gone into this, but I wonder if the inclusion of sensitivity settings for the rotation wouldn't eat too much into the "retro" theme...as it is trying to aim at things can get pretty maddening. The slow strafe would help, only that the aforementioned inability to do so at the same time as rotation makes it quite unintuitive for such a fast paced game.
Levin
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2009, 11:44:38 PM »

Oh Eclipse, c'mon! I leave you for one second, and you write the longest post ever made!! :D
Anyway, I bought the boxed version some weeks ago: it's a really polished game (even if I found it a little bit hard). Kudos, Simone!  Beer!
saimo
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2009, 12:15:09 AM »

Eclipse, I'm flattered by your presentation! Embarrassed
You got the spirit behind the game so right there's no need to add anything at all! Thank you so much! Gentleman

Let me just make a little correction:
'm sure even the only Tougher and Tougher mission on the demo will keep you busy for a while, i haven't still managed to complete all the floors (each phase is harder than the previous one).
Floors and phases are different things: the former are different levels of the map in a phase; phases are the stages missions are divided into (their number can be any).
saimo
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2009, 12:22:40 AM »

@ Baiame & undertech

You are right about sidestepping being basic. This is the story behind it.
Right from the start I wanted the game to be playable by means of just direction controls plus 1 button. And that's the way it was until a friend of mine asked for sidestepping. Reluctantly (because new keys became necessary), I added it. It ended up being so simple because - believe it or not - I have never played a game that uses sidestepping in my life! I just didn't think that it could use also some rotation.
Now, you may ask: so, why don't you change it now? Well, basically I don't fancy the idea of making the controls more advanced. Sidestepping never won my heart. I'd rather remove it altogether. In fact, I never use it - and you can be sure all missions can be finished without it Wink
I hope you understand.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2009, 02:49:35 AM by saimo » Logged
saimo
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2009, 12:24:49 AM »

Hi Alec!

Looks hot.
Thanks! If you want, give the demo a try Wink
saimo
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2009, 12:30:12 AM »

Hi Levin!

(even if I found it a little bit hard).
A couple of quick suggestions (for you and whoever is interested): don't waste time with enemies - fight them only when strictly necessary; when you get stuck in a mission... just leave it, play some other mission, and return to the bas*ard when you're fresh and extra-motivated (that's one of the reasons why it's possible to freely choose which mission to play) Wink

Kudos, Simone!  Beer!
Thank you Beer!
Eclipse
Level 10

0xDEADC0DE

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2009, 04:33:00 AM »

i never used the strafe too, i think it's pointless unless the game uses the mouse to aim, and of course this game doesn't!

Danmark
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2009, 05:52:50 AM »

i never used the strafe too, i think it's pointless unless the game uses the mouse to aim, and of course this game doesn't!
This a curious statement. While obviously not every game needs strafe, including Boh, it has nothing to do with the mouse. Try the original Doom on Ultra-Violence without strafing. It'd be really hard. Strafing is required whenever the player must be able to move independently of aim, regardless of the aiming controls.
Eclipse
Level 10

0xDEADC0DE

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2009, 06:15:44 AM »

This a curious statement. While obviously not every game needs strafe, including Boh, it has nothing to do with the mouse. Try the original Doom on Ultra-Violence without strafing. It'd be really hard. Strafing is required whenever the player must be able to move independently of aim, regardless of the aiming controls.

I've always played DooM with the mouse to turn. I rembember playing only wolfeinstein 3d and Catacomb: The Abyss with the keyboard because i had a 286 and no mouse. Also usually in those games strafes served only for the purpose of dodging bullets. BOH enemies runs at you, so you don't really want to strafe that often...

using strafe anyway is way harder while pressing other keys to rotate. You really don't want to push foward+turn+strafe at the same time, if the game requires you to do so, it's design is kinda bad. Also because many keyboard doesn't support more than two\three key press at time.

Anyway, i find the controls perfect for the game "retro" mood, they're not modern but solid, and the game is very fun to play like that, also because you really needs only 4 buttons for movement and one to fire (and ok, one to enlarge the minimap!)

Danmark
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2009, 04:16:54 PM »

^ Doom with the mouse? Heresy. Cursor keys + < + > + rshift = win. Actually FPS is one of my favorite genres, which I almost always play with mouselook cause I tend towards post-Quake ones (Doom is the only old raytracer I like, and I've played many). Yet I don't find strafing while rotating with the keyboard difficult at all. It's as easy as mouselook with key movement for me.

Moving forward while turning and strafing is a perfectly valid move in Doom, which I have used. And there's the simpler turn and strafe move, which still requires rotation independent of movement.
Quote from: Eclipse
Also usually in those games strafes served only for the purpose of dodging bullets.
I disagree. It's used just as often for bounding around obstacles to maximize visibility in minimal time. Strafing is important to infantry tactics, another reason why Boh doesn't need it; the nature of the threats doesn't necessitate it.
saimo
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2009, 02:43:26 AM »

Heh, funny how you ended up talking about Doom Smiley
Others, indeed, already mentioned it after seeing BOH - a guy had even started working at a Doom theme and plans to create missions based on Doom maps Kiss If only he wasn't too busy with real life Roll Eyes
Eclipse
Level 10

0xDEADC0DE

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2009, 02:56:26 AM »

Would be great to see a DooM theme Smiley I can totally see the BOH character wearing a green armour and the bigger alien becoming an Imp. The Evil Master would be a Cyberdemon this time...

I think i'll do something too, I still don't know if i'll use an original theme or not... i only need to find some time to pixelate some stuff Wink

saimo
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2009, 03:03:46 AM »

Would be great to see a DooM theme Smiley I can totally see the BOH character wearing a green armour and the bigger alien becoming an Imp. The Evil Master would be a Cyberdemon this time...
I guess this is the same vision the other guy has Wink

I think i'll do something too, I still don't know if i'll use an original theme or not... i only need to find some time to pixelate some stuff Wink
That would be wonderful! I can't wait for new themes (and missions) made by others!
Tip: as regards the files affected by the custom theme, it's a good thing to use what already exists as a starting point and then replace the "pieces" one by one - this way, the theme can be tried anytime during the development.
saimo
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2009, 09:35:20 AM »

didn't resist to post also some photo of the sexy package.

sorry for the craptastic quality but i did them using my mobile phone...
Thanks a lot anyway, Eclipse Beer!
For those who want to have a better look at the package, today I put some pictures online:

EDIT: scaled down, optimized in size and exposed directly.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2010, 08:23:43 AM by saimo » Logged
GreatFox
Level 0

Fox

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2009, 09:03:22 AM »

Whoa, hey, thanks for bringing my attention to this!

I like collecting boxed indie games, it is kinda my hobby, so I had to immediately order this. Aside from box thingie, I like the looks. Reminds me of Bastard Operator From Hell (just click on bofh15.zip if anyone wants to try).

I am eager to hold this beautiful box in my hands and never let it go.
saimo
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2009, 10:14:19 AM »

Whoa, hey, thanks for bringing my attention to this!

I like collecting boxed indie games, it is kinda my hobby, so I had to immediately order this.
Hei GreatFox, thank you so much!
I've processed your order a few minutes ago (before I even read your post) - you should have something in your mailbox Wink

Aside from box thingie, I like the looks.
Thank you Smiley

Reminds me of Bastard Operator From Hell (just click on bofh15.zip if anyone wants to try).
I must say I don't know this game, although somebody else made a joke based on the names (BOH <-> BOFH).

I am eager to hold this beautiful box in my hands and never let it go.
It will ship as soon as possible after the payment is received and will arrive to you in about 1 week. I'll get back to you with the tracking number, so you will be able to check the status.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic