Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411574 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58444 Members - Latest Member: darkcitien

May 04, 2024, 06:28:45 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsThat isometric game with rodents
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Print
Author Topic: That isometric game with rodents  (Read 13267 times)
ndchristie
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 30, 2011, 07:54:22 PM »

Is this made in GM?

GM can't come close to doing this level of 2.5D sorting/pathfinding Smiley.  Its isometric support is also...well, i'll say it doesn't support isometric, because to give an actual critique would be too brutal Tongue.

My gallery is on pixeljoint.com under the name Adarias, it hasn't been updated in some time though (darned NDA's) so don't judge too harshly!

Kren
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 01, 2011, 10:21:17 AM »

hey Adarias, it's been a while since I see something from you, this remind me from your old project Wink! good luck with the project,  I like how the sprites are looking Grin!
AaronLee
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 01, 2011, 01:19:59 PM »

Even though the shot of the map, is apparently still fairly prototype, it's looking really great! I love the style and variable details just about everywhere. Definitely looking forward to seeing some footage of this in action (even if it's just one of you lot twiddling about with movement mechanics and jumping Tongue)

agersant
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 01, 2011, 03:28:45 PM »

Definitely looking forward to seeing some footage of this in action (even if it's just one of you lot twiddling about with movement mechanics and jumping Tongue)
This will totally happen as soon as I get character animations. TBH, I can't wait to see it too :D

Day #017
Lots of news today but still no Line of Sight (I always find something more urgent) :
· TONS of performance optimizing, mostly on map display and pathfinding again. I now have 40+ FPS on my laptop during critical situations involving ~8 ennemies
· Added possibility to push ennemies away while guarding (useful when you're cornered)
· Some refactoring here and there, lots of code cleanup
· Found a workaround negating the memory leak mentioned some days ago
· Found (but did not fix) a bug with ennemies being able to dodge Loud Stomp (the same way they could dodge Blind Strike. The fix will be similar.)
agersant
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 02, 2011, 04:30:54 PM »

Day #018
· Fixed the Loudstomp bug mentioned yesterday
· Started making the map editor aware of scripting data. It's now possible to use it to add/remove NPCs and triggers. These are displayed with a different icon depending on wether the XML files they need are found or not. Hopefully, I'll do a bit more work on that tomorrow so that I can add "on map load scripts" awareness to the editor too.

Also, I'm very tired. My days are basically made of programming for my dayjob and then evening/night coding for this game. I don't remember doing anything else for the last 7 days but I'm far from burning out =)
agersant
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 03, 2011, 04:21:51 PM »

Day #019
· Editor can now handle all scripting data (NPCs, triggers and on load scripts) in a convenient way
· Wrote XML validation for map files. This had been on my todo list for AGES because I wasn't too hot about writing the required regex. It was indeed awful :
Waaagh!
· Added new properties to maps (+editor commands) in order to tell apart the playable area from the non-reachable one. I'll try to get the non-reachable area to display as a single bitmap to speed up things.

As a personnal reminder, my current todo list has :
· Line of sight
· Display non playable area as panorama
· Monster spawning sources and algorithms
· Some kind of dialog choice script commmand
· Save game script command
« Last Edit: May 04, 2011, 04:22:42 PM by agersant » Logged
agersant
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 04, 2011, 04:30:19 PM »

Time for my daily spam !
Day #020
I got half of yesterday's todo list done in one evening, hurrah !
· Added "save game" command to scripting language. It includes the possibility to execute a different script afterward depending on the success/failure of the operation. Hurrah for scripting/Haxe/Flash/PHP/SQLite communication.
· I optimized the rendering of part of the maps that are defined as "out of boundaries".
· I finally took the time to implement the Line of Sight mechanism on targeting and it went really really quick, even though I had to take care of altitude which was not part of the traditionnal roguelike algorithm. I was scared it would take forever because I always mess geometry >.<

Eye-candy

A mouse.
Destral
Level 10

Climbing that mountain...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: May 04, 2011, 09:46:42 PM »

But in all seriousness, that is some skullcage-rattlingly delicious eye-candy

Currently working on: Sword Surfer
agersant
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 05, 2011, 02:58:06 PM »

What a cute advertisement =)

Day #021
I've been slacking a bit today because I was very tired because of work. I got a few easy things done nevertheless :
· Small interface tweaks on the editor
· Made it possible to output the game's log in an HTML file. This is done automatically when the game crashes.

Eye-candy
The game's log HTML output
agersant
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 07, 2011, 02:22:54 AM »

Day #022
I came home after drinking too much beers with coworkers and I was too dizzy to do important stuff. I only did some small updates to the documentation and I talked with Nate about general things (colors for the UI and pre-game screens, etc.).

I have a full day ahead of me now, I'll try to make the most out of it.
agersant
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 07, 2011, 04:55:21 PM »

Day #023
Quite a boring day but lots of things one so let's call this a good one =)
· Wrote documentation about the loot generator
· Started writing documentation about the scripting language
· Coded the system that handles the spawning of ennemy waves
· Coded dialog choices
· Fixed a bug that occured when applying alpha effects to bitmap texts

That's only 4 items but they're quite big ones \o/
agersant
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 08, 2011, 03:54:46 PM »

Day #024
· Finished writing documentation about the script editor

I've been slacking around many hours today ; I simply don't know where to move from here and it puts me down =(
AaronLee
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 08, 2011, 05:36:01 PM »

NO GO GET EM!

Also I work on making the game shiny whenever I get downb/don't know what to do next/ am not feeling the game.

agersant
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 09, 2011, 03:12:50 PM »

Thank you guys :3

Day #025
I can't say I'm really back in business but I managed to get one or two things done tonight so I'll consider this a success.
· Put WIP attack animation in the game. My animation system works so that's cool.
· Made HUD widget that displays the items you loot from ennemies in a cool animated fashion (they pile up, each one pushing the old ones until they reach a point where they start to fade).

I still don't know what to do next though, I can't find anything I can code without some input from Nathan who is still super busy.
agersant
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 10, 2011, 03:30:37 PM »

Nothing new today, I'm still stuck with an empty todo list and a busy artist. Let's hope I can find some new stuff to code or some updates from Nathan.

This empty evening made me realize how hard I had been working on this game when I found myself wondering "What am I supposed to do instead of coding ?". I ended up playing music, drawing a lame mockup (see mockups thread) and hitting F5 repeatedly on various boards and twitter. Concerned
agersant
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 11, 2011, 03:54:26 PM »

agersant
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 22, 2011, 02:32:33 AM »

Time to get back into business.
Since last update, I spent one week in the United States and that was a great occasion to finally meet Nate in New York. That was great fun =)

We discussed a few things about this game (and then the beers started coming), so I should be able to do a bit more work during the upcoming days  Smiley
agersant
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 23, 2011, 01:50:31 PM »

Day #026
Made mockup for character selection screen. My main concern is that it may be hard to tie this with the game's pixel art style. I'm a photoshop whore >.<

Eye-candy

DISCLAIMER : the portraits are PLACEHOLDERS. Credits for it go to http://genzoman.deviantart.com/ who has nothing to do with this game.
antymattar
Level 5

Has earned the contemporary *Banned* medal

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 30, 2011, 10:49:08 PM »

Wow! I totally hope this gets finished.

Ashkin
« Reply #59 on: July 31, 2011, 01:07:17 AM »

Dude
Hey dude
Why didn't I notice this before dude
Looks awesome dude