Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411579 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58445 Members - Latest Member: Mansreign

May 05, 2024, 03:51:43 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperAudioWhat do you use to make music?
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: What do you use to make music?  (Read 9922 times)
Aquin
Level 10

Aquin is over here.

View Profile WWW
« on: August 15, 2009, 12:45:20 AM »

This question is more directed at Amon26 and Miroslav, mainly because I'm curious.  I've done a lot of composing, but it's all been by hand.  I'm looking at getting into sequencing/tracking.  The only thing I have any real experience using is Famitracker and OpenMPT.

You guys make pretty kick-ass music, so my question is this:  What program do you use to make your compy sing?  And what instruments do you use?  I'm just curious as to your general setup so I have a good place to start my own research on the matter.

I'd write a devlog about my current game, but I'm too busy making it.
rogerlevy
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2009, 07:58:55 AM »

FL Studio and Reason with ReWire, MK-449C midi controller, MobilePre audio interface, and a 1.8ghz Windows XP laptop. 

FL Studio is easier than Reason for sequencing as it lets you design tunes on a pattern-by-pattern basis while letting you change many patterns at the same time, and better "IMHO" than trackers because it lets use more than one pattern at once.

Reason is better for creating new sounds and recording midi "takes".

Although I know that everyone is gonna say "it doesn't matter what you use" (in the sense that noone cares), it's the same thing as saying "what you use is everything."  Because you gotta use whatever turns you on the most ... which is kinda why I've been getting attracted by Pxtone.
Havok
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2009, 08:40:06 AM »

Cubase Studio 4 (soon to be 5), Sibelius 4, E-MU Xboard 49 controller, Sony MDR-7506 headphones, 2.13GHz Dual Core PC with 4 Gigs Ram and two 500 GB hard drives, really crappy speakers, East West Symphonic Gold, Stormdrum 2, Massive, Battery 3, and some 8bit plugins and other free stuff laying around. I also play around on the piano and DS-10 a lot. I don't use it right now but I have FL Studio and in the past I've used it integrated into Cubase which works very well.

Yeah, it doesn't matter what you use as long as it makes you smile Smiley

I love audio: Engineering, Sound Design, Composition
sugarbeard
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2009, 08:43:04 AM »

FL Studio is easier than Reason for sequencing as it lets you design tunes on a pattern-by-pattern basis while letting you change many patterns at the same time

I can do this in Reason.

For my computer setup I use Reason 4, Ableton 7, and Audition 3 for editing. I use Reason to come up with the patterns and beats and I import them into Ableton to set things up. Audition for clean ups. I use my usb Korg MS-20 to control my VSTs. I don't care for trackers personally. But I never got too into them.

Then I have my actual instruments to record. Couple guitars, basses, my banjo, a couple organs and lots of guitar pedals.

Aquin
Level 10

Aquin is over here.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2009, 11:24:48 AM »

Yeah, I've played with FL Studio before.  I'm actually using LMMS right now....

I was just wondering how musicians always get those cool chipset sounds.  Do you design them with an editor or download them or...?

Kekskiller
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2009, 11:46:37 AM »

FL Studio for drum stuff, Psycle for composing melodies and my DS-10 for small tracks/sounds/synth lines. FL Studio is heavy and not very melody friendly (atleast if you only have the Fruity Loops version like me without recording function). I prefer writing rythm-heavy tracks on it. Psycle is awesome for making melodies with your keyboard. A  customized setup, some good SynthEdit plugins and everything is fine. And the DS-10 is useful for everything, but pretty limited in terms of length, variety and editing. I'm also using SynthEdit for custom VSTs oder just weird experimentation. The rest consists of around 5 Gig free/commercial sample packs and some free VSTs I found on several sites (like Krakli software or Tweakbench, but I prefer build-in synths and effects like the 3xOsc or Plucked in FL Studio).
Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2009, 12:15:47 PM »

I use Cubase as well.  I use a midi sampler, generally for Mellotron-type sounds (A sampler sampling a sampler!), a computer synth (generally only monophonic synths, I don't believe in using polyphonic synths) and my trusty guitar, along with a line6 digital effects pad (I know, I know, I should use actual individual effects pedals, but I like having the variety).

JLJac
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2009, 12:39:24 PM »

For old-school(rather neo-old-school, Cave Story-school) music pxtone is super great. Other than that I use garage band, partly because I'm an amateur but also because you can achieve decent results with it, as long as you stay away from the super no-no of using the built-in prerecorded stuff, because that is honourless. For editing sound and adding wavy cool soundeffects adobe soundbooth is rad. You can save each instrument as a different file, open 'em up in soundbooth and fiddle, and then mix them together again if you want to edit them separately.
pgil
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2009, 12:56:27 PM »

Do you design them with an editor or download them or...?
Does LMMS support VST instruments? Kvr audio is a good source for those. Just search for free instruments and effects, you'll find tons of great stuff.

Some good free plugins to search for to get you started:
Organized trio - a nice physically modeled Hammond organ
Mr Ray - an electric piano
EZpoly - a 2-voice Moog-style synth.
Drumatic - A drum synth.
Mo'Verb - A good reverb plugin
ThetaGames
Level 5

Informatikmeister

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2009, 12:12:29 PM »

For MIDI I use Jazzware, and for MOD/IT music I use ModPlug Tracker.

To actually record music, I (for the most part) use a four-track cassette tape mixer.  After recording the tracks on the tape, I run a line-in on Audacity. 

As far as instruments go, I mostly use my YAMAHA keyboard, Hammond M2 organ, Bb clarinet, and B3 Theremin (not at all affiliated with the Hammond B3) to create music (I sometimes use a Steinway baby grand piano, but that isn't mine - yay for free school practice rooms!  Smiley).  I also have guitar-effects pedal, and distortion effects on one of my amps (I mostly use the distortion effects for a nice Electric Piano sound though, and delay is nice too).

Aquin
Level 10

Aquin is over here.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2009, 12:21:11 PM »

Yeah I got a pretty good setup going with LMMS now.  Hopefully my first songs don't offend or bore anyone's ears too much.

Thanks for the help guys!

@Theta:  Your setup sounds awesome!  I wish I had money.  I really need to buy a new guitar!  I also need to tune my piano. Sad

Terry
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2009, 12:25:26 PM »

Aquin: If you like FamiTracker, you should take a look at the (free) program it's based on, MadTracker. It's basically just a really nice tracker that supports VSTs. I've been using it recently and I like it a lot.

ThetaGames
Level 5

Informatikmeister

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2009, 12:32:44 PM »

@Theta:  Your setup sounds awesome!  I wish I had money.  I really need to buy a new guitar!  I also need to tune my piano. Sad
Actually, it wasn't too bad.  I got the Hammond M2 for free, and the mixer was a gift (the thing has got to be from the 80's).  The only things that cost money were the keyboard (~$400) and the Theremin (~$150), and both were good investments.

I would like some more vintage keyboards (a Mellotron, Minimoog, or Rhodes Electric Piano would be nice), but additions to my music setup probably wouldn't be feasible due to money and space constraints.

Oh yeah, a Leslie Speaker for my M2 would be sweet too.

From my experience, piano tuners are relatively inexpensive.  I know someone who does it for $65.  It is definitely worth it; no one likes playing a detuned piano (except John Cage, of course).

hyperduck
Level 10

Music and Noises

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2009, 07:57:01 AM »

I use Cubase Studio 5 (educational discount) got it at pugh.co.uk for 170GBP. Which is great, since students can get a hold of this amazing software at such an affordable price, least, in comparison to it's original price, which is considerably more Sad

Anyway. I have an M-Audio Fast Track Pro as my audio interface, and an M-Audio Keystation (88 keys, semi-weighted) MGear Sustain pedal, and a guitarist called Dan. With all of that I manage to scramble some sounds, classy style. And just about any free VST you can get your hands on, I will have tried. I recommend Cubase Studio 5, it's excellent. Really.. check out the features, truly good.

Dataflashsabot
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2009, 08:06:30 AM »

I use LMMS. It's awesome.
Kekskiller
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2009, 08:17:01 AM »

and a guitarist called Dan
:D
Awesome tool, indeed!
hyperduck
Level 10

Music and Noises

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2009, 06:37:05 AM »

lol, he is vital to my mental health, and I am vital to his.

Duck Pals Forever! Though I do still wonder how he plays with those wings..

kessler
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2009, 09:39:44 PM »

Ableton Live. Its so sick your head will blow up. Here is a link to a song I made (as a joke) Warning Offensive lyrics!!! Its ableton live 7 with a MOPHO and acoustic guitar and drum samples from lives kits.

J.W. Hendricks
Freeware Ninja
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2009, 04:05:34 PM »

PXTone all the way.

The artist formally known as "Javet."
moonmagic
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2009, 09:39:42 PM »

I am also a fan of using GarageBand as a sequencer / quick sound editor. I feel silly admitting to it because I am sure there are better things but for what I use it for it is fine. It's easy for micromanaging samples or doing quick recordings. A lot of guitar / ukulele / contact mic recordings get dumped into GarageBand until I make up my mind what to do with them.

I tend to like music that sounds pretty gross. In that vein, I generally just add jacks to cheap keyboards and bend them until they sound tinny and awful. There are a few other circuit-bent things lying around the house that I use as well (the best being a Furby, and the worst being a talking promotional keychain for The Spirit.

For chippy stuff I use Nanoloop, because LSDJ has too much functionality for me and it bewilders me. I also end up using the DS-10 a lot and Nitrotracker.

|
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic