Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411539 Posts in 69383 Topics- by 58439 Members - Latest Member: isabel.adojo

May 02, 2024, 05:28:09 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesUndertale
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 22
Print
Author Topic: Undertale  (Read 51721 times)
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 01, 2015, 06:35:56 PM »

yeah its making me kind of dislike playing it tho. i find it sort of depressing actually (and im trying to do as much of a "pacifist run" as i can, despite 1 accidental kill). this is what i feared and why i was reluctant to play it.
DragonDePlatino
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: October 01, 2015, 07:38:14 PM »

I wouldn't worry too much about it. By killing one monster, that puts you on track to the neutral ending which I've heard is pretty cool in it's own respect. On the next playthrough, I think you can go full pacifist and the game will more or less treat it as if you did a pacifist run on your first try.

Like Diabetes Forecast said, as long as you don't go nuts and kill everything you see, it won't affect future playthroughs too much.

Areku
Level 1

Well yeah.

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 01, 2015, 07:42:03 PM »

Iirc on your first playthrough, you actually *can't* get the full pacifist ending, since you need some things you only find out in the endgame.

So yeah, I really wouldn't worry too much about it. Other than going full genocide, a lot of the oblique consequences are mostly a way of telling you "I know what you just did" rather than actually locking out parts of the experience.

Think "Clementine will remember this", except less obvious.
DragonDePlatino
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: October 01, 2015, 07:49:53 PM »

No way! I left off right after I finished a pacifist run so I had no idea there was more to it. I'll be looking forward to figuring out the rest of it along with the other endings. :D

Nillo
Level 10

Raunchy Raccoon

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 02, 2015, 02:03:39 AM »

What is your favorite song from the soundtrack?

It's a trick question because picking a favorite from this soundtrack is actually impossible

My finished games: Griddy RPG
My current project: SummonerRL
On hold: Griddy Heroes
battlerager
Level 10

I resent that statement.

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: October 02, 2015, 02:04:06 AM »

What is your favorite song from the soundtrack?

It's a trick question because picking a favorite from this soundtrack is actually impossible
Nope, dog song
SirNiko
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 02, 2015, 03:04:07 AM »

The game doesn't judge you at random - the "consequences" are obviously tied your actions and you're given the benefit of doubt to a large degree. This isn't like the Witcher where you'll be making choices and suffering unforeseen consequences later no matter what you pick.

You have to go out of your way to earn the game's disdain. It's a nice way to handle things, since you get the uneasiness of realizing your choices affect you in a way that can't be completely undone with a reset but you're also not cruelly held accountable for unforeseen consequences.

And yes, pretty much every boss tune is memorable. Although I do especially like how Papyrus escalates his musical theme with extra percussion when the proper fight begins.
Nillo
Level 10

Raunchy Raccoon

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 02, 2015, 03:29:45 AM »

The only place where I slipped up was when I killed Toriel and that was only because I didn't realize it was possible to do anything else in that situation. And it turns out that the consequences for that mistake are not as severe as I thought they would be; all it did was prevent me from getting the best ending on that playthrough.

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 02, 2015, 03:31:13 AM »

The only place where I slipped up was when I killed Toriel and that was only because I didn't realize it was possible to do anything else in that situation. And it turns out that the consequences for that mistake are not as severe as I thought they would be; all it did was prevent me from getting the best ending on that playthrough.

same lol

The game doesn't judge you at random - the "consequences" are obviously tied your actions and you're given the benefit of doubt to a large degree. This isn't like the Witcher where you'll be making choices and suffering unforeseen consequences later no matter what you pick.

oh good. so the only "evil" action is killing monsters, correct?
Nillo
Level 10

Raunchy Raccoon

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 02, 2015, 04:02:01 AM »

I'm genuinely concerned that you're reading my spoiler text! This game will probably not be as enjoyable as it could have been for you if you are so quick to digest outside knowledge.

I was actually hoping that people wouldn't go into this thread at all until they'd finished the game but ofc I have no control over what others decide to do. That's why I put several warnings in the OP.

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 02, 2015, 04:48:07 AM »

my rule is: if a story is ruined by spoilers, it wasn't a good story to begin with. i know some of the shit the game does already and if i didn't i probably would have no interest in it. i actually played the demo years ago and was like "ok it's some random jrpg" and quit it after 5 mins.

if im being 100% honest, so far i don't see how this is one of the "best games ever". its well put together sure and theres lots of stuff to like about it. but i will only finish it because its relatively short (or so ive heard) and probably won't play through it a second time (that's not saying much tho, i rarely ever do this with games).
« Last Edit: October 02, 2015, 05:01:58 AM by Silbereisen » Logged
squeakyReaper
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 02, 2015, 05:06:05 AM »

Undertale has been genuinely charming and enjoyable so far. It constantly makes me smile, like with the little things such as music picking up pace during certain fights, being able to pet little doge in to orbit, and checking the "Warning: Dog Marriage" sign twice. Come to think of it, it's mostly the little things. It's greater than the sum of its parts.
Nillo
Level 10

Raunchy Raccoon

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 02, 2015, 05:12:25 AM »

@Silber: Welp, if you think there is no intrinsic value in being surprised by a video game then I guess it explains why you don't like the game as much as others do. Many people consider the subversion of RPG norms to be the game's biggest appeal.

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 02, 2015, 05:14:57 AM »

oh yeah that is probably true.

i guess its also because it represents a "culture" i can't really relate to. like, people have compared it to homestuck (maybe just bc the dev did some work for homestuck?) which is something i stopped reading after a couple pages due to lack of interest. i also find the humor in it sometimes endearing but sometimes also kinda "forced". so i guess while i recognize that its very good, it's just "not for me" in certain ways?

will post more coherent thoughts once i finish
« Last Edit: October 02, 2015, 05:28:27 AM by Silbereisen » Logged
Tumetsu
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: October 02, 2015, 08:03:21 AM »

I agree with Silbereisen about spoilers. Usually I don't mind them and sometimes they even increase the enjoyment of the story provided that the story isn't based only on "plot twists" (which is itself a sign of poor writing imo). That being said, I really like the surprises in games like this, LISA and Mother series.

About the game, I still haven't finished first play through but I have to say I have been enjoying it a lot so far. It is really nice to see games like Undertale and LISA being made. Expect of course they make feel that I'd wanted to make them or something similar  Tongue

Tanner
Level 10

MMPHM *GULP*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: October 02, 2015, 09:18:44 AM »

i'm just mad at myself that i accidentally genocided the ruins before realizing what i was doing

DragonDePlatino
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: October 02, 2015, 10:38:37 AM »

oh yeah that is probably true.

i guess its also because it represents a "culture" i can't really relate to. like, people have compared it to homestuck (maybe just bc the dev did some work for homestuck?) which is something i stopped reading after a couple pages due to lack of interest. i also find the humor in it sometimes endearing but sometimes also kinda "forced". so i guess while i recognize that its very good, it's just "not for me" in certain ways?

will post more coherent thoughts once i finish

I can see what you're getting at. To be honest, I felt a little alienated when playing the game because the plot was constantly referencing animes and anime tropes. I understand that's the target audience of the game, but it all felt very silly to me because I avoid anime.

I will say this much, though. Whether or not you're into the stuff the game references, I think you can still enjoy it. If you watch anime and read Homestuck, you'll get a lot of the jokes and references. But if you don't, then the game becomes a parody of that facet of nerd culture. Tongue

In particular, a friend of mine acts just like Alphys which had me laughing the whole time.

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 02, 2015, 11:45:39 AM »

i will say i love how this game breaks its own rules constantly. even the "inconsistent" art style seems to play into this somehow.
SirNiko
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 02, 2015, 05:23:53 PM »

oh good. so the only "evil" action is killing monsters, correct?

This is correct. If you're going wrong to the point that you will be punished, the game will let you know very unambiguously while you still have time to correct yourself. You have to really try to be evil in this game.

You should go out of your way to pick opposite dialogue choices on a second run. You'll get hilarious responses and the results will be the same.

I think that accidentally killing Toriel is the best way to play the game on your first run. Players who fail to do that are missing out.

Also, if you kill Toriel, quit the game without saving, then save Toriel after you reload Flowey will have some unique dialogue where he tells you he knows what you did. Toby really did an incredible job considering every possible combination of actions and making sure the game recognizes what you've done.
Alevice
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: October 04, 2015, 12:31:17 AM »

i will say i love how this game breaks its own rules constantly. even the "inconsistent" art style seems to play into this somehow.
right at the end it broke all the rules at least for me. well, except your heart thing.

my favorite boss track is mettatons firts encounter

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 22
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic