Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411581 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58445 Members - Latest Member: Mansreign

May 05, 2024, 05:40:05 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsAdventure Apes and the Mayan Mystery (Metroidvania with Monkeys!)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
Print
Author Topic: Adventure Apes and the Mayan Mystery (Metroidvania with Monkeys!)  (Read 21610 times)
ScaryPotato
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 21, 2012, 04:27:24 PM »

Hey poe, I can't agree with you more about the catch 22 situation. It'll be that way for indie devs no matter what reason is given since we all need as much exposure as possible for the games we've spent so much time making.

Did you get your game put up on any other sites? I put mine on IndieCity.com, but am still sort of figuring out what to do with it all at this point...

Here is a link if anyone is curious Smiley

Adventure Apes at IndieCity

I've been making some little tweaks here and there to the game, but was hoping to save them for the full version, but perhaps I should add it to the demo and resubmit on Desura. We'll see...there is enough other stuff to do that I can't dwell on the past for too long!

poe
« Reply #41 on: June 21, 2012, 04:46:26 PM »

Hey poe, I can't agree with you more about the catch 22 situation. It'll be that way for indie devs no matter what reason is given since we all need as much exposure as possible for the games we've spent so much time making.

Did you get your game put up on any other sites? I put mine on IndieCity.com, but am still sort of figuring out what to do with it all at this point...

Here is a link if anyone is curious Smiley

Adventure Apes at IndieCity

I've been making some little tweaks here and there to the game, but was hoping to save them for the full version, but perhaps I should add it to the demo and resubmit on Desura. We'll see...there is enough other stuff to do that I can't dwell on the past for too long!

No I decided to take a break from the game to make other things and come back to it if I still think it's a good idea.

I actually have seen your game before for the record, I was the guy on reddit who told you I see your game everywhere ;P
ScaryPotato
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 21, 2012, 04:55:24 PM »

Hah! That was you?? I remember the comment because it took me a little off guard..I had been trying to get the name out there for a little while and was unsure how much impact it was having. It was like a reassuring to see that Smiley

Masakari
Level 0

Unknown Robot

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: June 22, 2012, 02:08:30 PM »

But Desura has alpha-funding and the like, correct? How are they blocking stuff with "lesser" graphics, when alpha-funding games there also fall into the "lesser" graphics category? I don't get it.

ScaryPotato
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 22, 2012, 04:18:55 PM »

I can't speak for poe's experience, but I was just trying to put a free demo up. It seems there are plenty of games with lesser graphics, poor game play etc etc, and all this is acknowledged when you apply for submission. It makes me think that perhaps they're trying to avoid a huge glut of indie games Masakari. I suppose time will tell:)

Masakari
Level 0

Unknown Robot

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: June 22, 2012, 05:15:53 PM »

Maybe. It might also be related to the "context" aka did you submit it as the final game / demo, a beta game / demo, an alpha game / demo?

Because what they might reject according to the specific context, they might approve in a different context.

ScaryPotato
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 23, 2012, 07:42:13 AM »

That's a good question Masakari. I didn't see any options for how to classify what to submit. There was a button, I pressed it...perhaps it was intended only for full/awesome games! I will have to dig around more and see if there is a demo/alpha/beta option. It's all a learning experience for me at this point:)

Anyhow, here are a few new screenshots for the game...trying to iron out the final battle with Horatio Hawk. His Golden Egg has three swiveling guns that fire different projectiles; a bouncy red ball, green heat-seeking bombs, and deadly autonomous blue shuriken!

Franklin's Ghost
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: June 24, 2012, 05:27:38 AM »

Sucks to hear about Desura and don't understand cause I'm always impressed out how polished your game is.

New screenshots are nice, like the detail in your environments but to me Horatio looks unfinished. Having seen his portrait a few times I was surprised how simple he looks in person(if that is him and I'm not just being stupid).

flipswitchx
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: June 24, 2012, 03:30:53 PM »

Looks totally fun and I like that music! You need a donate button on the games site! Caus I totally would.  Gentleman

ScaryPotato
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 25, 2012, 07:23:50 AM »

Thanks a lot Franklins Ghost! There's more to Horatio than meets the eye...as the saying goes, don't count your chickens before they've hatched Wink
There actually is another phase to Horatio after the Golden Egg. I'm just hesitant to show anything (got to keep something secret, right?)

Glad you like it flipswitchx. It's funny you mention the donate button thing because I've been considering it for a little while now, and set up a paypal account on the weekend. Hopefully if that button does magically appear on the website there will be a million or so other kind souls such as yourself!

Franklin's Ghost
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: June 25, 2012, 07:41:05 AM »

There's more to Horatio than meets the eye...as the saying goes, don't count your chickens before they've hatched Wink
There actually is another phase to Horatio after the Golden Egg. I'm just hesitant to show anything (got to keep something secret, right?)
Sounds interesting and looking forward to figuring out all the secrets then Smiley

sabajt
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: June 25, 2012, 08:17:34 AM »

Not sure if you've had any more luck finding a place to host your game but don't be afraid to just sell it directly from your site - personally I prefer buying like that. Don't get bummed that Desura or wherever rejected it, just keep working towards finishing and getting the word out any way you can.  Like some other people said, I've seen this pop up lots of places and it seems you're doing a good job preparing for release by having a good looking website and all the promotional materials like the character profiles.  Even if you aren't as commercially succesfull as you hoped, you'll have an awesome project under your belt and your next game will likely do better.

Masakari
Level 0

Unknown Robot

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: June 27, 2012, 02:49:34 AM »

Definitely check out Indievania.com and sell your game there.

Ive been buying some games there, drm free, 100% goes to the developer, its a site with great potential.

mrj1nx
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 27, 2012, 03:08:08 AM »

Wow this looks really nice! Looking forward to it! Seems like there are at least a handfull of good indie metrovanias coming up, good times!  Beer!
poe
« Reply #54 on: June 27, 2012, 04:58:21 AM »

You still need the game to sell. I believe it has to earn at least 500$ before you can even get any money out of the service. They are looking out for the developers I suppose but it is quite a hindrance for someone like me.
Masakari
Level 0

Unknown Robot

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: June 27, 2012, 08:14:34 AM »

You still need the game to sell. I believe it has to earn at least 500$ before you can even get any money out of the service. They are looking out for the developers I suppose but it is quite a hindrance for someone like me.
Really? That's not the info I got. As far as I know, when we buy a game, we are paying directly to the devs' Paypal account. Just 2 days ago I bought A.R.C.S. and Orbitron Revolution, and the transaction was directly with both devs' Paypal accounts.

Eigen
Level 10

Brobdingnagian ding dong

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: June 27, 2012, 08:26:47 AM »

Good luck with whatever selling option you choose in the end. PayPal button on the game's site sounds good to me.

Anyway, it looks cute. I'd buy it Smiley

poe
« Reply #57 on: June 27, 2012, 08:40:23 AM »

Just wanted to double check, couldn't find the email but another tigsource post with the same information(though he says it's 500 euros which is quite a bit more..)

http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=25917.0
Masakari
Level 0

Unknown Robot

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: June 27, 2012, 09:00:28 AM »

Just wanted to double check, couldn't find the email but another tigsource post with the same information(though he says it's 500 euros which is quite a bit more..)

http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=25917.0
Ok, you were talking about Desura, I was talking about Indievania. That's sorted out  Smiley

ScaryPotato
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 06, 2012, 09:20:48 AM »

Sorry about the lack of response the last little while guys. I really appreciate everyone's input about setting things up for the game's release.
The last 10% of the game has been by far the most difficult to finish off because like I've said before, this project has been going on in one form or another for four years now, and for my own sanity need to move on!! It's tough to feel as motivated for the project at the last 10% compared to the first 10%, that's for sure...
Anyhow, it's done now, but will be going over it to refine a few things (the last level slows down like a mofo for some reason right now). There are a few minor cosmetic changes to the game from the demo version, but nothing drastic enough to describe in detail...different player sounds and less skulls being some Smiley

I've also gone and created an Indievania account as well as IndieCity, and will be doing something with them soon. There's even a donate button on my site now, woo hoo! I figure being a total nobody that rather than demanding cash, if people like the game, they're welcome to shell out what they want.

Here are a few screenies showing the latest stuff if you didn't catch it in the Screenshot Saturday thread!

A new start screen:

Falling blocks and steamy caverns:

Horatio saying his goodbyes:

I've put the illustrated instruction booklet and the game together in one zip file, so it's about 10mb to download now, but they're also available separately on the download page. Make sure you check it out, because there is a surprise on the page (if you know where to look!)
And now, the link:
Adventure Apes Download Page
PS: As always, let me know if something doesn't work, or just plain sucks! Gentleman

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic