Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411644 Posts in 69395 Topics- by 58450 Members - Latest Member: pp_mech

May 14, 2024, 10:50:24 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsProject Trinity
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Project Trinity  (Read 1708 times)
stemconcepts
Level 0

View Profile
« on: October 22, 2015, 02:48:23 PM »

Durr...?WIP: Project Trinity

Hi Hi,
I'm new here.. and have been working on a game idea on and off for about a year.. and recently thrown all my focus into it for the last few months.
I'd like to show "Project: Trinity" (working title) to TIGsource.. for feed back and to see if the idea has any traction.  Beg

About Myself
I'm a graphic designer/web developer by trade but Ive always wanted to make a game.. though it took a while for me to decide to use Unity due to the fact that learning C# felt scary. But after looking at the possible results of the software, I decided to jump in and suck it up. I'm still learning but so far nothing has exploded...yet.

My Game
I have a bunch of video game ideas, but I thought as I'm still a beginner I would start off with something a bit simple... This game is a simple idea I am aiming towards mobile, tablet and desktop users. It is based around the concept of being able to get results in a short amount of time...ie on the way to work, waiting for a bus/train or when waiting for your friends to login for a game of League of Legends, GTA Online or whatever you're playing.

The story so far is very simple, its a fantasy setting where "good" and "evil" battled. "Good" succeeds in sealing "evil" but in doing so splits into 5 dragons that govern the rules of the world, the earth, the sky, the sea, the beginning(life), the end(death). The act of sealing "evil" is not perfect and the by product of such a process is what creates the worlds unnatural creatures such as undead, golems, elementals etc.

Gameplay
You control a team of 3 characters based around the holy trinity idea. A tank, a healer and a Damage dealer.
The general idea of the game is a cross between real time Boss fights similar to Final Fantasy, and the gear farming of MMOs and Diablo...
Though the gear is limited to weapons and accessories.

Each character has 4 skill slots, these skills are determined by the weapons you currently have equipped.
Each weapon has 3 skills attached to it and possibly a passive but no stat increases... stat buffs can only be obtained by performing a skill or from a passive.  Hand Fork Left
Equipping a weapon will change these 3 skills on a character (the 4th is a slot that you can equip any skill you've "learned")... and the same weapon has a chance to have different skills attached to it.. Similar to the random Stat system for Diablo weapons.
Accessories only have passive buffs that effect the game rules or provide a small stat altering buff.

The main aim of the game is to defeat bosses around the world in order to get different gear that will change the way your team works.
Combat at the moment is quite fast paced, you spend action points to perform skills and some actions, these action points regenerate over a short period of time per character.
Each boss requires different tactics and team set ups in order to defeat them within the time limit.

There's a little more going on but for now this is a basic outline.
I'm still working on the sprites for the other 2 characters so they aren't visible yet....Also have a bunch of animations, art and coding to do... but a lot of the back end core stuff is working relatively well.  Beer!
That's it for now, I'll do my best to update this on a weekly basis.
Thanks for the read.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2015, 04:39:38 PM by stemconcepts » Logged
stemconcepts
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2015, 12:30:43 PM »

Hi again,
have a couple of updates to show.
Been working a bit more on the visuals and a little bit on the menu system (though thats not at a point where I would like to show it)

2nd Character first phase design and animation has been put together.. still have a little bit of detail to add to the face , then Id like to go through all the characters and add more interesting detail.
Also Added a bit of UI design and a few skill Icons so it would look the part a bit more. Still needs a bunch of work though.

« Last Edit: November 20, 2015, 01:03:54 PM by stemconcepts » Logged
CFlickster
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2015, 03:14:15 PM »

seems cool so far. Keep it up!

Audio for Games
@cflickster | WB Game Audio | IMDb
stemconcepts
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2015, 07:50:02 PM »

seems cool so far. Keep it up!

Thanks much appreciated... still lots to do
stemconcepts
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2015, 09:53:15 AM »

Hi again,
more updates.
Added a few UI tweaks

and programmed movement into the attack animations.

stemconcepts
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2015, 04:37:48 PM »

Hi again,
another small update..
Been working on making the game look a little better

Added shadows to 2 characters and drawn a cave backdrop..
It has 3 layers.. and Im considering doing some slight parallax scrolling when characters move in to attack in order to show some sort of depth... Also need to work out how to do animations in the backgrounds...

Background without Characters

Background with Characters

took a while to get the right sort of balance of saturation so the characters aren't lost.
big skeleton guys needs to be made lighter..
stemconcepts
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2016, 01:35:08 AM »

Busy Busy,
been some time since I put up an update but here are a couple,
Here are a few notable changes

Visual display on skill cool downs
Hit and screen Shake Effects

Slow mo when targeting with a skill to ease control, also fades over time

UI for character movement within grid for dodging and blocking attacks

Enemy movement to target and back to original position on grid

Updated character animation, sprites

Still a bunch of tweaks to do to improve the above improvements

« Last Edit: June 24, 2016, 01:45:42 AM by stemconcepts » Logged
jctwood
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2016, 01:45:08 AM »

This is looking really beautiful! I have to ask what you are using for animation?

stemconcepts
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2016, 01:55:52 AM »

Thanks very much Smiley

Currently using Spine
http://esotericsoftware.com/

its pretty good for what it does, check out the trailer

I hope to maybe purchase the pro version and play around with the mesh tool
stemconcepts
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2017, 05:22:00 AM »

Hello,
Apologies again for the long time between updates.. but here they are

Bloom and lighting - Added bloom and lighting to the game, helps it look a little prettier
SafeZone gameplay - Counter or dodge enemy attacks by moving your tank to the Counter Panel, or moving players out of the Danger Panels

Purchased Spine Pro - Added Mesh animations to some of the animations ...again makes the game look better

Overlap UI - This needs tweaking but allows you to change characters or target them for skills when they overlap on the grid panel

Gameplay Update Skills - Reduced the amount of skills per character to 3, found that having 4 was too much choice. Gameplay decisions seem much more fluid with 1 less choice
Gameplay Update FocusZone - Added a focus zone to the front 3 panels, if the Tank doesn't stand here, most enemies will attack one of the 3 characters chosen at random. This was to encourage more movement based gameplay and give a more definite reason for some enemies to always target the Tank.

Thats all for now, Im currently doing a bunch of balancing. Like changing costs of skills and their power till the game feels intuitive.
foofter
Level 4

MAKE THAT GARDEN GROW

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2017, 05:42:56 AM »

Reminds me of Fearless Fantasy's battles! You should check it out if you haven't already. Smiley

@_monstergarden (game) and @williamzwood (me)
See Monster Garden progress here: https://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=56012.0
Davi Vasc
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2017, 08:40:57 AM »

Really cool art. Nice work  Wink Hand Thumbs Up Right

Davi Vasc - Video Game Composer
Twitter: https://twitter.com/VascMusic
stemconcepts
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2017, 04:48:06 AM »

Reminds me of Fearless Fantasy's battles! You should check it out if you haven't already. Smiley
Oh yikes layout wise it is really similar. Funny enough when I started working on this game idea, "Darkest Dungeon" was released and I had to change a few of my ideas as to not copy them haha
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic