Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411644 Posts in 69395 Topics- by 58450 Members - Latest Member: pp_mech

May 15, 2024, 02:13:18 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsA silly little RPG about a couple wishful monsters [dead topic]
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Author Topic: A silly little RPG about a couple wishful monsters [dead topic]  (Read 4648 times)
Pixel Noise
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: January 30, 2017, 06:02:26 AM »

I think it looks great.

Pixel Noise - professional composition/sound design studio.
 https://soundcloud.com/pixel-noise
 https://twitter.com/PixelNoiseMusic
 https://pixelnoisemusic.bandcamp.com/

Recently completed the ReallyGoodBattle OST!  https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=2&v=vgf-4DjU5q
breakfastbat
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 31, 2017, 09:26:13 AM »

Hmm... December...

« Last Edit: January 31, 2017, 09:58:26 AM by eidobunny » Logged

♫ December, ♫
♫ December. ♫
Mahn
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 02, 2017, 08:36:54 AM »

You fell in love with your own sprite didn't you Smiley
breakfastbat
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 09, 2017, 01:30:18 PM »

Just finished my new business card!

The links on the card:

Twitter: http://twitter.com/eidobunny
Tumblr: http://eidobunny.tumblr.com/
Newsletter/demo: http://eepurl.com/co3Alv
« Last Edit: February 19, 2017, 05:49:50 PM by eidobunny » Logged

♫ December, ♫
♫ December. ♫
Stricle
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: February 09, 2017, 04:27:29 PM »

It looks very professional! I like your art style.
I also like the fact you already have dates set.

I can't wait to play your demo and see your game's mechanics.

My devlog:     My twitter:
Private Party      twitter
breakfastbat
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: February 09, 2017, 06:01:22 PM »

Thank you! Deciding on an art direction was the hardest part for me, but now I'm starting to feel like I understand who my characters are and what kind of world they live in, so I can start bringing that together with the in-game assets now. I've been trying to bring this idea together for about a year now and it's finally taking off, I'm so excited! The amount of time and thought I've put into my world definitely helped refine my style and development timeline. Some things can take months to come to you. But yeah dates also help keep me focused and motivated.

This week I'm going to try to get the starting area together and the dialogue system. Historically, starting areas are some of the hardest to put together because it's the player's first impression of your game. I probably should have started in the middle and worked backwards, but instead I just spent a lot more time than normal considering my first step, partly due to the fact that I'm trying to go to Kickstarter so I can quit my job (so I need to develop what's going to be in the demo, which is the beginning of the game). I'm not sure if it was the right approach but hopefully I'll nail the landing just the same.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2017, 06:12:00 PM by eidobunny » Logged

♫ December, ♫
♫ December. ♫
Stricle
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: February 10, 2017, 04:05:06 AM »

Thank you! Deciding on an art direction was the hardest part for me, but now I'm starting to feel like I understand who my characters are and what kind of world they live in, so I can start bringing that together with the in-game assets now. I've been trying to bring this idea together for about a year now and it's finally taking off, I'm so excited! The amount of time and thought I've put into my world definitely helped refine my style and development timeline. Some things can take months to come to you. But yeah dates also help keep me focused and motivated.

Game developing has many fun parts, but I think the world building is one of (if not) the funniest!

This week I'm going to try to get the starting area together and the dialogue system. Historically, starting areas are some of the hardest to put together because it's the player's first impression of your game. I probably should have started in the middle and worked backwards, but instead I just spent a lot more time than normal considering my first step, partly due to the fact that I'm trying to go to Kickstarter so I can quit my job (so I need to develop what's going to be in the demo, which is the beginning of the game). I'm not sure if it was the right approach but hopefully I'll nail the landing just the same.

I totally get you. About starting with the beginning, I'll tell you what I have experienced, maybe it can be useful to you...
I started with the beginning because of the demo as well. But I felt it wasn't turning out that fun, and, I feel like if an indie game doesn't get you since the beginning, most people will just give up on playing it. So, I decided to make the parts I already knew would be fun, and wait until a great beginning comes to my mind.
This choice comes with pros and cons:

Pros:
I don't have to stress about coming up with the beginning (now);
It may come to naturally;

Cons:
The demo either will take longer to be done or will be about other part of the game;
If I change something important in the beginning, I may have to change some other stuff I have made to happen after this part; (it probably happens in both ways)

breakfastbat
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 10, 2017, 08:05:25 AM »

I think I've spent enough time planning it that the beginning is going to be fun, but we'll just have to see! I'm building it now Smiley (except I have dayjob Fri-Mon >_<)

♫ December, ♫
♫ December. ♫
Luno
Level 1

now comes good sailing

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: February 10, 2017, 02:02:59 PM »

Off to a fine start! Would you consider making the demo a separate thing? e.g. instead of a piece of the final game, a non-sequitor that demonstrates the kinds of things likely to be in the final game

It might work better for a game with humor that is comfortable breaking the fourth wall. I've thought about this approach, but for a serious game I'm worried that it would just confuse people.

Ah yes, successful kickstarter and then quitting your job. It's the dream right? Very daring/difficult! I don't think it'd be wise to kickstart without a playable prototype and some compelling footage, but I think you can succeed without a publicly available demo.

breakfastbat
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 10, 2017, 06:55:10 PM »

Off to a fine start! Would you consider making the demo a separate thing? e.g. instead of a piece of the final game, a non-sequitor that demonstrates the kinds of things likely to be in the final game

It might work better for a game with humor that is comfortable breaking the fourth wall. I've thought about this approach, but for a serious game I'm worried that it would just confuse people.

Ah yes, successful kickstarter and then quitting your job. It's the dream right? Very daring/difficult! I don't think it'd be wise to kickstart without a playable prototype and some compelling footage, but I think you can succeed without a publicly available demo.

Thank you!

I wouldn't really consider making a non-canon demo, I don't think it's worth the time investment. The only way that would happen is if I built the demo and then after the fact decided to change the story in such a way that the demo became obsolete.

My game has a serious overarching story with silly in-between. I'm basically following the formula that Undertale / Super Mario RPG / etc. used.

I've been researching Kickstarter for a year now. I'm positive I will hit my goal ($10k), but my goal alone won't allow me to quit my job, just cut my hours down to 2 days a week. The more I surpass my goal, the earlier I'll be able to quit, but having a job one or two days a week isn't that bad, I get a lot of inspiration interacting with people that I wouldn't get being alone in my room 24/7. Anyway I'm releasing the demo 2 months before the Kickstarter, which gives me a month to refine it, and a month to prepare the Kickstarter and contact press / let's players. If I hit $20k I could probably quit outright, which given the quality of my project, the amount of research I've done, and the recent history of Kickstarters, I think is totally possible.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2017, 07:02:54 PM by eidobunny » Logged

♫ December, ♫
♫ December. ♫
Zorg
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 11, 2017, 11:45:55 AM »

Good luck with your game. It seems you have pretty detailed agenda in mind. Don't be disappointed if everything does not work out exactly like you planned. I'm looking forward to the next updates. Hand Thumbs Up Right
breakfastbat
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 11, 2017, 01:30:18 PM »

Good luck with your game. It seems you have pretty detailed agenda in mind. Don't be disappointed if everything does not work out exactly like you planned. I'm looking forward to the next updates. Hand Thumbs Up Right

Thank you!

I'm over the "disappointment" phase of game development. My entire project didn't go as planned twice now, so I'm used to change, even better I embrace it now!

But if I can't raise 10k after 2 years of Kickstarter planning and strategizing with a game I think is incredibly good, well... then I might be quite disappointed!

♫ December, ♫
♫ December. ♫
breakfastbat
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 16, 2017, 05:13:38 PM »

Business cards are in!

The links on the card:

Twitter: http://twitter.com/eidobunny
Tumblr: http://eidobunny.tumblr.com/
Newsletter/demo: http://eepurl.com/co3Alv

♫ December, ♫
♫ December. ♫
breakfastbat
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 16, 2017, 09:38:28 PM »

By the way, I'll be at Anime Milwaukee and Anime Central this year (and potentially a few other conventions), so if you see me, let me know! I'll be "cosplaying" as the Undertale legendary artifact.

♫ December, ♫
♫ December. ♫
breakfastbat
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 17, 2017, 10:15:53 PM »

A totally normal, everyday fence. Nothing weird going on here.

♫ December, ♫
♫ December. ♫
subliminalman
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: February 17, 2017, 10:37:44 PM »

I'm liking the art direction you have going. The proportions of the character sprites in particular, I like that they are taller and kinda lanky while having a bit of depth brought on by their tail and horns.

breakfastbat
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 17, 2017, 11:00:11 PM »

I'm liking the art direction you have going. The proportions of the character sprites in particular, I like that they are taller and kinda lanky while having a bit of depth brought on by their tail and horns.

Thank you!

I'm glad someone likes the art direction haha!

I will be making more body types but I wanted tall and skinny for the ones I've shown.

♫ December, ♫
♫ December. ♫
Stricle
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: February 18, 2017, 05:59:47 AM »

Luno, that's a cool idea. It would be like a "pilot" episode of the game.

I'm optimistic about your future kickstarter campaign, eidobunny. Hopefully you'll get over funded. 

Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic