Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411605 Posts in 69388 Topics- by 58445 Members - Latest Member: gravitygat

May 08, 2024, 04:04:09 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingNe Touchez Pas IV
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Ne Touchez Pas IV  (Read 1961 times)
NAL
« on: March 11, 2010, 10:57:23 PM »

Ne Touchez Pas IV is a game which builds off NTP3 in the pursuit of improvement. It is a game which compiles many variants of don't-touch-the-walls games (including two from my past - Rockit and NAL's Jet Pod).

There are 50 levels, playable with six separate characters:
Bird will be familiar to anyone that's played Messhof's Flywrench or any of the previous NTP games. New to NTP4, Bird has an autoflap button as well as a manual flap. Left/Right make the bird strafe, Z is for manual flap and Up for autoflap. Down can be used for the level start if you want to start with a freefall, not an upwards movement.
Jetpod is the only character unaltered from NTP3. It's basically a slower, easier version of the bird with smooth upward thrusting and strafing.
Missile is a redesigned version of NTP3's "Rockit". Since mouse controls are disallowed from Competition 05 entries I had to alter the controls. The D-pad now makes the missile hurtle in whichever direction is pressed. It's at one set speed and is unaffected by gravity.
Spaceman has been changed from NTP3 significantly. He's still unaffected by gravity and friction, but now the entire screen rotates as he does and you have to keep control of him and track of the level as it turns before you. Pretty good at inducing dizziness.
Vehicle, first of two new characters, is a small, speedy car in which you use up to accelerate, down to decelerate/reverse and left/right to turn. This is a fairly easy one to do since you can be patient with it and it's nippy and agile enough to get through the tightest of gaps.
Square is named to reflect its simplicity. Direction keys simply move it in whichever direction is pressed. It stops instantly when you let go. It's fairly slow (though holding Z will double its speed), but small enough to get through super-tight gaps. Designed to be similar to World's Hardest Game, though is much easier.

The menu system has been redesigned also. It's more polished than NTP3's was and is easier and more fluent with the gameplay style to use. Controls for the menus are given so I needn't go in-depth into them.

Any feedback, bug reports, and even plays/topic views are much appreciated. Thanks. Smiley

Game is ~8.55MB, mostly thanks to the music by KiraKhyber (13 minutes of it). V1.0. Made in Game Maker 8.0 Pro.

Ne Touchez Pas IV on Game Jolt
Direct link - V1.0
Direct link - Demo V0.2 (for historic reasons)

r.kachowski
Level 5

and certainly no love below

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2010, 03:36:05 AM »

very cool! awesome style!

but I noticed while playing as the rocket - the objects that usually rotate, do not.
JMickle
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2010, 09:04:15 AM »

this was ok, and has your usual great presentation, but the gameplay was iffy in my opinion. I'm not a huge fan of these types of games anyway, though. It's definitely better than 90% of these games, but I don't think it was anything particularly noteworthy. The style and music and presentation are what makes this game.

BoxedLunch
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2010, 10:42:31 AM »

very cool! awesome style!

but I noticed while playing as the rocket - the objects that usually rotate, do not.
that's usually intentional, i've played the last installment and it's the same thing with rocket. it's probably to make it easier.
NAL
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2010, 02:44:47 PM »

The turbines not spinning in the Missile levels is intentional - as it's on a single, set speed, it's far too difficult to judge getting through them when they're moving. Missile is thin so it can easy slink around them instead.

Thanks for all your feedback. S'appreciated. Smiley
ThetaGames
Level 5

Informatikmeister

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2010, 12:28:28 PM »

I liked this a lot, especially how you used elements of other "don't touch the wall" games.  In general, the bird felt a little awkward, though, and did not feel much like the "Flywrench" bird, though (I suppose you wouldn't want it to be exactly the same, though). 

I found the jetpod to be the most fun to play with.  Nice game!

~ Theta Games

Randomasta
Level 1

wait, what?

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2010, 07:09:00 PM »

This is a nice game, I especially liked the music! A bit too hard for me, can't get far except by using the square, but then again I suck at playing games. And the spaceman feels like it's just an easier version of the bird.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2010, 07:24:32 PM by Randomasta » Logged
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic