Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411594 Posts in 69387 Topics- by 58444 Members - Latest Member: YomiKu_0

May 08, 2024, 12:49:57 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingRuined- WIP
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Ruined- WIP  (Read 1782 times)
Ethan718
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: March 20, 2010, 06:42:29 AM »

Ruined

Ruined is a 2D exploration platformer about a man named Alec who has been trapped in the desert for many years trying to fix his broken ship. Although he managed to put all of the pieces back together, his battery had run dry and the ship can barely take off the ground.
In one last desperate effort, Alec must try to create a power core than can take him out of the desert. But as he digs deeper and deeper, he'll find things that should have remained forgotten.

Gameplay is in Metroidvania/explorational platformer style.

Current Features
  • Over 200 screens
  • Every one of the 4 worlds is accessible
  • 4 bosses
  • Some story
  • Music
  • Lead up to final boss (but no final boss)

Features to Come
  • 1 more boss
  • A whole lot of complicated story
  • 3+ game endings
  • More scenery

Credit
  • Pinpickle - Design and programming
  • Ethan718 - Design and graphics
  • Caleb Cuzner (Nijg) - Music

Download from GameJolt
Download from Yoyogames

Known Glitches/Possible Annoyances
  • Some screens may lead to uncompleted screens
  • Incorrect placement of tiles
  • Dying without saving on a new game could be prone to error

Windows only.

NOTE: Do not directly play this from your Download manager in your browser.

Instead, go into your My Downloads folder (or wherever you wish to put a save file) and play the game. This allows the game to save properly
« Last Edit: March 20, 2010, 08:11:48 AM by Ethan718 » Logged

Falmil
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2010, 09:36:27 AM »

I tried it and got an error in the scene in the beginning of the game where the rebuilt ship raises and then crashes down again.
----------------------------------
ERROR in
action number 1
of Draw Event
for object obj_gameControl:

Error in code at line 3:
   if obj_player.y < 100
                 ^
at position 16: Unknown variable y
------------------------------------
Ethan718
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2010, 09:54:16 AM »

Thanks for the report- did you download from GameJolt?

If so, I forgot to update the download file from there, and I think in the newest version that should be fixed.

If you could please try re-downloading, that would be great. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Falmil
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2010, 10:45:43 AM »

Well, that's a bit disappointing I was getting pretty far in the violet tower/castle and sky area in the other version (21?). I did check and the opening bug didn't happen again. I would have to start the game over though and I don't really feel like doing it right now. Can you make the game use an external save file so you can transfer saves between versions?

Anyway, I took some notes while I was playing the older version, so I guess you can just ignore anything you already fixed, which hopefully isn't all of it:

-The menu is confusing where left/right goes up and down the menu and up/down switches the submenu. Maybe have the submenus horizonal across the bottom instead of vertical at the right?
-Are you supposed to be able to stand on what appear to be gas clouds underground?
-After the bee battle, I thought the black energy ball was a power up, but it teleported me back to my ship, which would have been fine, except I grabbed it before the battery part. Maybe it should be after the part?
-A few collision issues: a few rooms to the left of the ship, there are 2 sandy blocks in midair that you just fall behind/through. There is also a downward tunnel to the left of the robot looking thing underground that has a thin black line over it that you can't fall through. Not sure if these are mistakes or just disabling paths to areas you haven't finished yet. If the black line is a game object locking the tunnel, it could probably stand to appear more like a locked hatch or something recognizable.
-Found a way to a dead end room with a red pot looking thing underground but couldn't interact with it.
-East from the ship on the surface, one room left from the second large charging ant thing, there was a ledge I was able to climb upon with my high+double jump, except there is nothing higher up and continuing to the right along the top gets you stuck somewhere in the ceiling.
-Sometimes the health ring gets in the way of seeing obstacles.
-When saving, got an error (saved too many times?):
-----------------------------
ERROR in
action number 1
of  Step Event
for object obj_savePoint:

Cannot open another file (maximum exceeded).
-----------------------------
Ethan718
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2010, 10:58:25 AM »

Wow, a lot of feedback, thanks a ton! I'll come back and edit this post later with more comments about it but...

There actually is external saving, and you CAN load save files from version to version. I am positive it works.

The data is saved in a folder called "data" win whatever folder you played version 21 in. Make sure version 23 is in the same parent folder as "data" and 21. (Sorry if that doesn't make sense)

Falmil
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2010, 11:14:08 AM »

Oh, so you can. My file didn't appear the first time I tried the new version. I guess I'll play more then.

EDIT: More notes!

-Error when hitting jump rechargers? If this requires a power up, I do not have it yet.
-------------------------------
ERROR in
action number 1
of  Step Event
for object obj_energyJump:

Error in code at line 16:
       timer -= 1
       ^
at position 6: Unknown variable timer
--------------------------------------
-While hopping across clouds toward the castle/tower, a combination of things makes it very difficult. Jumping too high moves you a screen up and you cannot see where you're going to land. At the end/beginning of a room, it isn't immediately clear that you are not, in fact, safe and that you have to keep moving before clouds disappear. Due to the "puffy" nature of the clouds, their bounding boxes are smaller than their sprites so when you jump off of them, you sometimes run too far and just do a tiny midair jump into oblivion.
-After beating the boss in the castle/tower, opening and entering the door, there is a pit you can fall into with no way out.
-While fighting the dragon, projectiles will come from odd directions and some times his tail will appear at the edge of the screen.
-While fighting the dragon, I was going to jump off the edge and give up, but I got hit and died, after the death animation was over I was alive will full health, fell all the way down to the sand area, and fell in quick sand until I died again except I got an error because I guess I died twice or something:
-------------------------------------
ERROR in
action number 1
of  Step Event
for object obj_player:

In script check_border:
Error in code at line 53:
           global.mapHCon[global.roomX, global.roomY] = 1;
                                 ^
at position 32: Negative array index
-------------------------------------
-I see you added an area above that sand area where I got stuck before.
-It is difficult to determine jump balls from spikeballs in the sand area.
-Near the top of the castle outside, the jump rechargers are very difficult to use. It seems like I fall too fast to use them well.(These are what crashed me before).
-I was able to just walk across the top of the castle outside underneath the blue gem, jump up to the jump recharge, and use it to jump to the gem, skipping the few rooms of platforming before it.
-I realized I could "stomp" through those black lines over vertical tunnels.
-While falling down to another room, I somehow double jumped into the air back to the upper room and was caught at the bottom in mid air, unable to move.
-Underground, is ther a way to tell between death pits and pits to other rooms?
-Had to cross lava room with no platforms? Oh I see there are platforms in the lava that are nearly invisible. Adjusting brightness on my screen doesn't seem to help.
-The platforming section with the teleporter bubbles under the castle is also difficult. I must have tried the first part for 15 minutes before I got it because it seems like I fall too fast. Also, there is nowhere to save once you're down there.
-ARGH, after another one of those teleporter bubble parts, the save at the end crashed me. I assume it was the same error. Frankly, I was a bit too frustrated to copy it.
-A later scene after you have activated all 4 structures has replaced the name 'Alec' with 'Player'

At this point, I think I am as far as I can go. All it all, it seems like a nice platforming game aside from the sometimes frustrating falling too fast issue.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2010, 02:00:33 PM by Falmil » Logged
deathtotheweird
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2010, 07:13:12 PM »

Very interesting. Music gets quite repetitive and thus annoying. Strongly reminded of Knytt, isn't totally a bad thing though. I don't want to play much of it, would rather play it finished. Controls felt good. Thought the health meter was too large and unnecessary, maybe make it smaller and move it to the upper right corner? Or leave it there and make it smaller. Either way, it's too big for such a small res game.
Ethan718
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2010, 07:56:17 PM »

@Falmil: Thanks again for all the feedback. Actually, after the cutscene after the dragon boss (with the accidental "Player" title), there is one thing left to do. See the 4 diamond slots in the box where the ship used to be? Each of the four environments have a hidden key (hint: they are usually in places you haven't been before). After that, it is the final boss, which is not in the game yet of course.

@Allen: Thanks for the suggestion. I personally think the Knytt style is a good thing, and makes for a great atmosphere. Of course I have an extreme bias Tongue. I understand how you wouldn't want to play an unfinished game, but there really is a lot of content in the game. In fact the only stuff that's not in there is the final boss (and what's after it).

Falmil
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2010, 09:57:53 PM »

The gems? I already got all 4 of those.

Also, I beat the dragon before the ghost thing which was pretty difficult due to the lack of patterns in its attacks.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic