Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411594 Posts in 69387 Topics- by 58444 Members - Latest Member: YomiKu_0

May 08, 2024, 03:44:48 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingNeed Feedback For: CosmiCube - 3D Reflex Game
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Need Feedback For: CosmiCube - 3D Reflex Game  (Read 1163 times)
Daxiongmao87
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: March 25, 2010, 05:18:36 PM »

Hello Indie Gamers,

I've created this game originally as a learning project for a game engine called Unity, but I've been getting good enough feedback where I've considered and started planning on development for the iphone app.

The idea of the game is quite similar to the game labyrinth, where you balance the ball from point A to point B.  Later stages require you to collect spheres before being able to go to the next stage. (I'm thinking about having an indicator for this, as for now there's no documentation stating that).  The game has yet to be beaten, though I've proven to myself that its quite possible.  With quality checking i've been every stage, but never have I completed it from level 1 to 25.

Completely recoding everything I find it now is the best time for some honest feedback on what I can do to make this game a better experience for the player.  A few things I've already planned to implement are:

-A more organized UI
-Sensitivity Configuration
-Capability of scrolling through all online scores, as well as locating your last published.

You can play the game HERE to get an idea of the controls, and the gameplay.

Here's a few screenshots:

You can also watch a gameplay video HERE

Bit Breakers, ltd
John Nesky
Level 10

aka shaktool

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2010, 08:07:50 PM »

This is really cool. Reminds me of the fun I had with Super Monkey Ball, but the physics are different enough to keep it interesting. (the world rotates around the center instead of around the player.) Also your choice of music is great, although for whatever reason the "ding" sound of rolling over tiles doesn't feel like it matches the rest of the chip sounds. Also maybe you should tone down the difficulty of the first few levels...

Also you should introduce yourself, as per the rules.
deathtotheweird
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2010, 08:17:06 PM »

I played this on the Unity forums awhile back. I think the learning curve is too steep, and the game punishes you too severely if you mess up. Makes it frustrating when you have to start over. Main problem is me getting disorientated. It feels like I'm rubbing my stomach and patting my head at the same time.

I just don't understand tilting. It seems very sensitive, too sensitive. Sometimes if the ball just starts rolling, it's impossible to stop. Sharply tilting it will just cause the ball to fall faster, and with a limited set of lives and the fact that a tiny mistake will end it-makes for a very frustrating experience.
Paul Jeffries
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2010, 07:46:20 AM »

Its cool and fun, but its quite difficult to control, I think mainly because you're looking down on it at an angle to begin with so it's quite hard to judge just how much you're tilting.  I would recommend either switching to a top-down view or give some other visual indication of which direction you're tilting in and how much.

www.vitruality.com | SPARTAN - Small Pixel Art Animator and procedural tile generator
Daxiongmao87
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2010, 02:14:24 PM »

Thank you for all the feedback!  It's very much appreciated.

Right, introductions, I apologize.  My name's Patrick Richardson.  I'm currently in the military, but I've been interested in game development ever since I was a teen.  Now delving into something more serious such as Unity.  I have no formal background in programming except that of visual basic and basic in highschool, most is self taught.  Smiley

@John: Are you suggesting that I use a more 8bit sound for the overall game to fit with the theme of the music?  I don't know how that will turn out but there's no sense in trying. Believe it or not i did tone down the difficulty.  What I was thinking to help ease the learning curve is to provide a tutorial, which I forgot to mention was planned.  Let me know what you think!

@Allen:  A lot of my friends complain about the sensitivity too, which is why I said I will be adding the option to adjust the sensitivity.  I do not understand, however, how the tilting can be confusing.  Pulling your mouse towards me would make the cube tilt towards me, moving the mouse to the right, tilts the cube to the right, etc.  What can I do to make this easier for the public (Besides sensitivity as that is addressed)?  Thanks! Smiley

@Firmitas: There is an option to toggle the camera angle to top-down as you suggested in game.  If you look to the right of the screen it shows the picture of a camera and a picture of the "C" key.  Pressing that will allow you to go from your current angle to top down, and back.  Thanks for the feedback and I'm glad you enjoyed what you played!

Again thanks guys for all the input, it's always helpful.  I don't want to make the game too easy, though we don't want it to be impossible either.  As you can see in the video though, with time and practice you can get pretty decent.  I'd appreciate if anyone had any more suggestions I can work with, that would be great Smiley  Thanks for your time.

Bit Breakers, ltd
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic