Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411636 Posts in 69394 Topics- by 58448 Members - Latest Member: Danque_Birbington_II

May 13, 2024, 10:36:13 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperDesignLevel design for a TBS horror
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Level design for a TBS horror  (Read 1969 times)
Muz
Level 10

View Profile
« on: February 28, 2011, 10:42:22 AM »

Some background...

I'm making a turn based RPG/strategy game. It involves a girl who gets trapped in a mansion-maze with some creepy dolls. In every level, she finds a key somewhere and needs it to defeat the big doll boss.

Combat is similar to D&D 3.5. Square grid, 8 dir movement. Mostly melee attacks, with a few projectiles, like some dolls throwing rocks/knives/needles. Main damage type is psychological/sanity where the girl loses the will to keep going and game over. There's still physical damage, dolls will try to break her limbs, stab her, etc, but to prevent the game from getting too gory, physical damage is mostly used to increase the helpless feel.

The feel of the game is to make the player feel like a trapped rat. Unlike in most RPGs, the default stance is to escape, while fighting is used when running is not an option. Many enemies will be sort of undefeatable, like cloth puppets, which can be knocked around with a baseball bat or thrown, but won't be neutralized.

It is a turn based game.. I want to have it feel like X-Com. End turn, pray that no enemies are around the corner, pray they get unlucky and miss you. Start turn, keep running or fighting and try to end turn in a location where they can't get ganked.

Surprises are a core part of horror, but the player should be able to anticipate a surprise. A seemingly dead doll might rise and grab her, might jump out of a box, might break down a door, or run from around a corner when you hear footprints earlier. But shouldn't pop out of nowhere and the players would learn possible hot spots early in the game.

Difficulty is mostly so that the player can get through intuitively, without having to repeat and memorize the level. Deaths should feel deserved, as in the player did something stupid or made wrong assumptions on the level/enemy behavior. The player should die very rarely, but the threat of dying/losing should feel real enough. I don't like a savescumming level of difficulty as it ruins the atmosphere, and goes against the "you can still survive" feel of the game.

So, on to the main point...
It looks like a large segment of the game depends on the level design, so I want to take it quite seriously. There isn't a lot of manuals and examples on the TBS horror genre, so looks like I'll have to make something up. I've brainstormed sort of the following elements in a level.

Damaging trash: An encounter designed to weaken, but not kill the character. Not really for any tactical purpose, but it's sort of to get the character at a moderate health level to make them worried. And to discourage people from being perfectionist savescummers.

Mobs: Weak encounters, mostly harmless, but they keep her from getting through. Might be combined with a tough encounter as some sort of artificial wall, might just be there to give the player something to hack and slash and burn through.

Chase: I like chase encounters in horror games. It would probably involve a highly damaging or undefeatable creature. The player would be running into a place they can't follow, desperately trying to open doors or crawl into things. But not certain how it could be done in turn based games without being annoying.. run, end turn, run, end turn.

Entrapment: Enemies try to trap the character in a position where she can't fight and would be whittled down.

Treasure: Often combined with entrapment encounters, would be the key, save point, or something like a weapon. Usually well guarded, the player is made aware of the risks and a possible treasure.

Decoy: Acts like a Treasure but turns out to be nothing, or something very minor. Less damaging than an actual treasure encounter.

Surprise: Often used to spark Entrapment encounters. Or to ruin some kind of plans, like make a Treasure encounter tougher than the player expected. Can't really think of a good use for them, aside from giving an "Oh shit" feel.

I haven't really figured how and where I'd use them. If anyone has any extra ideas, suggestions, tips, or a good article/book on it, I'd be very interested. Smiley
Pishtaco
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2011, 11:16:37 AM »

I've sometimes thought about making a horror game based on minesweeper. An important part of horror is fear, that is, anticipating the horrible thing, and minesweeper gets this across really well. I haven't yet had a good idea about how to keep the horror part of minesweeper while getting rid of the mathematical part.

Tiderion
Level 0

Game Writer/Designer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2011, 08:43:14 PM »

Play Laser Squad Nemesis for ideas.

You'll probably want to create a set of themes for the background and build some basic levels to experiment. You could also randomize the levels based on attributes or set designs. Lots of ways to go.

Fatal Frame is not exactly the same thing but if you want to take a look at how to do survival horror level design right then that's the one. They happen to randomize about 90% of the instances.

You might also consider save points. Fatal Frame placed theirs far and few in between. We all remember Resident Evil making save points available but you needed the ink to do it. The Horror genre relies on you having to gamble a lot because you cannot save a lot.
eclectocrat
Level 5

Most of your personality is unconscious.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2011, 09:00:18 PM »

Your game sounds cool. I'm working on something really similar, although not in the horror genre. I'm having a tough time making levels that feel dangerous and edgy. One effect that I like is the juxtaposition of space. By that I mean, I like having a narrow tangled corridor lead into a big vault, and I like large safe rooms with lots of light to narrow out into a dingy sewer tunnel. It gives a visual indication of your sense of vulnerability and you can play with the tactical implications quite a lot.

I hope you put up a blog or something so I can see your game soon. I am intrigued.

Good luck!

I make Mysterious Castle, a Tactics-Roguelike
Muz
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2011, 08:30:46 AM »

Ha, thanks. Don't think I'll be blogging it until I get at least a full demo out, unless there's something interesting design things to write about Tongue

I got Laser Squad Nemesis, but never really had the chance to play it out. Was waiting to play it to comment, but ah well. Heh, but it reminds me of X-Com's design and what I loved/hated about it.

Bad ones were the ones where you had to spend 2-3 turns inside a small room, and rooms in rooms, often finding nothing after hours. That kind of level design eventually made me stop playing the game because it was so tedious. It made the surprise somewhat bigger, but only by increasing boredom levels

The great ones were where you know where the tiny areas where you knew the enemy was, mainly the crash/base scenes. You know there was some powerful enemy who could kill you immediately, prepare your troops for it, and wince as you watch your men drop. Heart beats faster watching them step out and fire at you, and when you try to approach them for the kill. It's those calculated risks that make it fun.

On the contrary, I think minesweeper isn't scary because it's not a huge risk. It's a bit too calculated. It's not really praying for the game to save you, it's more like looking at it carefully to make sure you don't overlook. Instead of increasing the sense of urgency, you lower it.

I'd say if you could pin fear on one thing, it comes from the unknown, and a lack of defense from that unknown.
RayJack
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2011, 07:51:24 PM »

Chase: I like chase encounters in horror games. It would probably involve a highly damaging or undefeatable creature. The player would be running into a place they can't follow, desperately trying to open doors or crawl into things. But not certain how it could be done in turn based games without being annoying.. run, end turn, run, end turn.

You could implement a time limit for deciding your action for the turn. When the character's sanity level is low, the music could get louder, the screen could become darker, and the turn time limit could get shorter. Or, you could add in a "panic" stat that increases whenever the character is surprised, injured, ambushed, or at set times (like during a chase scene), and you could base the time limit on that.
bart_the_13th
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2011, 12:45:53 AM »

I'm not sure if turn based game can be scary horror, although I'm not sure what kind of horror you're trying to achieve. Will it be creepy looking theme's that make you think twice before having some snack while playing the game, or a suspenseful situation where your character is cornered inside a room waiting a creature bust in the door and eat her. Or both, I hope.
Now that you mentioned it, a demo or any sneak peak can be a good idea Wink

Chipacabra
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2011, 02:51:06 PM »

One game you might look at for inspiration is the old DOS game Space Hulk. It wasn't a TBS, but it had a clever way of stressing the player out. Since the player controls a squad, he doesn't have the same immersion that you'd get from an FPS, say. Instead, the player is acting as the squad commander, and is fed small tunnel-visioned helmetcam views from each marine. The tension comes from worrying about if all the lines of sight are covered, wondering if a Genestealer is lurking just off camera, and frantically trying to pull things together when one of the screens suddenly goes to static...
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic