Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411634 Posts in 69394 Topics- by 58450 Members - Latest Member: wcored

May 13, 2024, 02:41:21 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperDesignMario/cavestory jumpin, the air walker and other decisions
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Mario/cavestory jumpin, the air walker and other decisions  (Read 1612 times)
antymattar
Level 5

Has earned the contemporary *Banned* medal

View Profile
« on: March 25, 2011, 02:48:45 AM »

So Im making a game and I have this very very important decision to make. Should I try to make it more like the cave story phisics or should Imake him run if he presses a key and stop instantly on the release? Or should I do something in etween.

I'm very sad because I am using GM and I don't have the slightest idea of how to implement the slow horizontall motion increase effect. (Sorry)

Zecks
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2011, 02:52:17 AM »

the floaty physics were what i hated the most about cave story

indy games are a bull shit
supershigi
Level 7

No Yoshi is an Island

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2011, 03:00:58 AM »

I think you should spend some time experimenting in order to come up with something in between that feels good to you.  I'm not a huge fan of the overly "sticky" physics in games like Wii Super Mario Bros., but at the same time it's nice to have a bit of floatiness so that the controls aren't so rigid.     

Laura Shigihara | Composer and Game Designer
Facebook | Youtube | Twitter
antymattar
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2011, 10:03:11 AM »

OMG! Shocked I didn't know! Thanks dude!

iffi
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2011, 07:33:44 PM »

I never found Cave Story's physics to be very floaty. Super Meat Boy's physics, on the other hand...

What sort of physics you implement depends on the game you're making. I can't really say what would be best for the game you're making since I don't know anything about it, but I tend to prefer not very floaty controls. An instant start/stop would probably be a little too jerky, but I usually like something along the lines of VVVVVV or Knytt Stories.
Whatever you choose, make sure it feels consistent. One thing that really bugs me about Super Meat Boy is that if I let go of all the direction keys, Meat Boy stops instantly, but if I press the direction key opposite to the direction I'm running, Meat Boy slides to a stop before turning around. It never really made sense to me from a gameplay standpoint, since to turn around quickly you have to let go of the arrow keys and then press the direction you want to move in.
antymattar
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2011, 02:17:48 AM »

Right now I have this: http://www.mediafire.com/?7ppr0uiir8o5c1s

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic