Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411633 Posts in 69393 Topics- by 58448 Members - Latest Member: wcored

May 13, 2024, 04:54:51 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperDesignRPG battles
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: RPG battles  (Read 1697 times)
JasonPickering
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« on: April 03, 2011, 09:39:31 AM »

alright guys so I am working on an RPG and I need some help with the combat system. I have a couple ideas so what do you think.

Type 1:
you are attacked by a level 5 monster. you are a level 3 and have a +1 sword you use a potion to add +3. you win 7 to 5, monster dies.

Type 2:
you attack the monster and do two damage. the monster attacks and does one damage to you. you go until one of you is dead.

Type 3:
your attack + a dice roll vs Monster defense + a dice roll. if you win you do one damage.
Monster attack + a dice roll vs Your defense + a dice roll. if you lose you take one damage.

Type 4:
your attack + a dice vs monster attack + a dice. winner takes one damage.

Type 5:
you have 1 attack. you are up against a slime. the slime has 1 attack and tie goes to the
monster. you use a potion to give you +1 you defeat the slime.

(keep in mind that the dice will not be shown. players will see attack numbers as a range like 3 - 5.)

so I think my favorite one so far is type 4. what do you think. keep in mind I won't be using final fantasy numbers. there is no 9999 damage. I am thinking of never leaving double digits. dice will probably only be +0, +1, +2.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2011, 10:23:17 AM by JasonPickering » Logged

Coz
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2011, 10:38:07 AM »

Uhmm.
I don't understand what you want us to do.
I'm guessing( but might be wrong ) that those are different combat mechanics.
Or are those fighting scenarions that use the same combat mechanics?

Please explain better.
JasonPickering
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2011, 10:52:57 AM »

sorry. those are just the different ways I could do combat mechanics. I am looking for which one everyone likes. I would only be choosing one. I want something simple but still give some luck and strategy.

jwk5
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2011, 11:23:18 AM »

I don't think you'll ever find one that everyone likes so start with one you personally like and go from there. You'll have a better shot at getting solid opinions (and suggestions) on an idea you've worked out and expanded a bit.

That being said, all those setups you listed will pretty much boil down to mindless button mashing rather than making the player think carefully and tragically about what they are doing. When designing the system try to work out what strategies you are intending for the player to use, not just the numbers, because in the end it will be all the possible strategies available to the player that will determine if the battles are enjoyable or not.
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2011, 03:00:34 PM »

The most important question here is: Is the combat turn-based or realtime?

If it's the former, fixed damage will turn battles into simple puzzles, given your game has "dumb" AI. I personally prefer a bit of luck management.
X3N
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2011, 04:25:37 AM »

Type 4: winner takes one damage?

destiny is truth pre-op
The Monster King
Level 10

FRKUC im ALWAYS ANGRY AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAnerd

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2011, 07:24:00 AM »

i dont like winner takes damage because I hate winning or losing because of a dice. If you like it though take it?

i'd go with a mix of 1 and 2 or something
JasonPickering
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2011, 08:23:03 AM »

What I did was something along the lines of 2. Player has health and attack, monster has health and attack. I added a 1 in 6 chance that you Miss and a 1 in 6 chance that you Crit, doing extra damage. this really livened up the battle although it seems luck can be a fickle lady now.

Theophilus
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2011, 09:24:26 AM »

Type 1:
you are attacked by a level 5 monster. you are a level 3 and have a +1 sword you use a potion to add +3. you win 7 to 5, monster dies.

Type 2:
you attack the monster and do two damage. the monster attacks and does one damage to you. you go until one of you is dead.

Type 3:
your attack + a dice roll vs Monster defense + a dice roll. if you win you do one damage.
Monster attack + a dice roll vs Your defense + a dice roll. if you lose you take one damage.

Type 4:
your attack + a dice vs monster attack + a dice. winner takes one damage.

Type 5:
you have 1 attack. you are up against a slime. the slime has 1 attack and tie goes to the
monster. you use a potion to give you +1 you defeat the slime.

(keep in mind that the dice will not be shown. players will see attack numbers as a range like 3 - 5.)

so I think my favorite one so far is type 4. what do you think. keep in mind I won't be using final fantasy numbers. there is no 9999 damage. I am thinking of never leaving double digits. dice will probably only be +0, +1, +2.

Type 1: I don't like this because it makes it nearly impossible to defeat stronger monsters without boosting your stats incredibly high.

Type 2: BORING, but would work. No strategy element.

Type 3: Only 1 damage? This would also work.

Type 4: Again, only 1 damage? I like type 3 more than this because it takes defense into account instead of it being a useless stat.

Type 5: No. Again, this makes it difficult to defeat monsters higher level than yours.

I'd say the best type would be 3, though you need to have more than one damage. Perhaps both roll a dice based on the 'luck' statistic (Or luck+'ing items). This bonus dice has a number of sides equivalent to your luck statistic divided by 2/3/4/whatever/maybe-another-statistic-of-yours. Of those sides, make some bad ones, with fewer the higher your luck stat is. Roll this dice and then damage accordingly (+10 for good, -10 for bad).
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic