Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411636 Posts in 69394 Topics- by 58448 Members - Latest Member: Danque_Birbington_II

May 14, 2024, 12:39:57 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperDesignHow do you decide what game you're going to work on?
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: How do you decide what game you're going to work on?  (Read 4756 times)
eiyukabe
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« on: April 11, 2011, 05:54:02 PM »

This was being discussed in another thread, and I wanted to ask this question but didn't want to take that thread off topic.

How do you decide what game you're going to work on? I was hypothesizing that the game's genre is the first thing people think of when they start talking themselves into working on a game. It's certainly one of the first things used when describing the game to other people.

For me, when I was a kid drawing games on paper, I would just make a game similar to whatever I was playing at the time that I loved, so mimicry was my inspiration. Then as I grew up, I believe that genre was the next thing -- I was in the mood to draw some fighting game characters and moves, so I did just that. By the time I was actually programming games, I was pretty much limited by my lack of experience into simple text and 2D games. Nowadays, it's hard to say. I have a list of games that are very important to me to make in my lifetime but can't necessarily work on now (not because they're AAA MMOs or anything, just because I need to flesh them out some more), so I work on simple games to develop my skills. The next reasonably big game that I'm going to make (likely a multiyear project) is going to be a combination of a shmup and an RPG. I wanted to set out and make a game that has the epic feel and longevity of an RPG but with the grinding replaced with a mechanic that I find to be more fun. The shmup+RPG combo is something I've thought about for several years, though this setting and mood is pretty different from what I always thought I would end up with. Very genre-guided thinking.

What about you? What lead you to decide on the game you're currently working on? How do you choose which game you want to make in general?
Theophilus
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2011, 06:06:51 PM »

I start with an idea that is generally already covered by a genre, and then describe it by the genre with what it is.

For instance.

"I have an idea! A game where you live in a village full of friendly monsters!"

"It's a life simulation on a more personal level."
Philtron
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2011, 06:56:38 PM »

I don't worry about genre. I just work on whatever made me excited about the game in the first place whether it's the story, some central mechanic, or the levels' design and atmosphere. I work on what keeps me excited and new ideas spawn from that for other facets of the game. If I hit a dead end or lose my inspiration I let it go until inspiration strikes again or until I can use the ideas for a different project.

Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est
http://electriccartilage.wordpress.com/
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2011, 08:45:51 PM »

I'm asking myself what games need right now, what I want to see in game that isn't there yet? (ie not a sonic clone)

Then I ask me what research and what skills I need to make that happen (ie mak games (art, sound, music, code, design, writing))

ANtY
Level 10

i accidentally did that on purpose

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2011, 09:06:11 PM »

I'm asking myself what am I able to do now and waiting for some great idea to match my mad skillz.

punking
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2011, 09:31:01 PM »

I spend several months looking for the game online because it's so OBVIOUS what a great subject for a game it would be until I give up and start programming it myself.  Or I set myself a challenge like making a game where all the creatures are actually cellular automata rules that behave like creatures (it works better than it sounds).
adam_smasher
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2011, 09:31:51 PM »

How do I choose what game to work on?

I don't.

The game chooses me.
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2011, 11:21:40 PM »

i have a big list of designs; games i intend to make one day

of those, i choose between them based on the resources (in terms of time, experience, tools, and team members) that i have available. for instance, when i'm first learning an engine, i pick a relatively easy game to make, and use that as a learning experience (for instance, alphasix with game maker).

sometimes i ask people which game among alternatives sounds the most fun to play. i believe i chose to work on SD because of a poll in my livejournal that it won (among other possible designs that i posted up for people to choose between).

tergem
Level 1

It's a pony!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2011, 03:20:11 AM »

1.) Mimicry to improve my skills. That way I have a benchmark to meet, and know what the game would look like.

2.) When under pressure from a programming class (a current project of mine is just that).

3.) Sometimes the game seems to come to me. It just pops out, really well formed. The problem is that they are requiring far more time and effort then I have.

Games made so far (completed):Spike teh dodge, Unnamed puzzle game, Galaga clone, Generic Top-Down Shooter, overly simplistic business simulator In dev: Platformer!
mirosurabu
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2011, 04:03:35 AM »

I play games, then play some more, then let my imagination and visualization do the job. Music helps, so does talking out loud. Depending on how relaxed I am, all sorts of games unfold in my mind. It's easy to get hyped with no good reason though, so some form of post-visualization evaluation is necessary.

I come up with lots of different ones, but tend to choose ones that are elaborate, clear and doable. These tend to be the ones that are clearly inspired by many related things. Often, there is one or several ones that are at the core of the influence, and these often define the genre of my game.
eclectocrat
Level 5

Most of your personality is unconscious.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2011, 04:22:31 AM »

Show of hands, how many people don't make a 'choice' but rather have one particular vision in mind?

*raises hand*  Hand Metal Left

I make Mysterious Castle, a Tactics-Roguelike
Theophilus
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2011, 10:05:04 AM »

Show of hands, how many people don't make a 'choice' but rather have one particular vision in mind?

*raises hand*  Hand Metal Left

Toast LeftTigerBro Fist RightBro Fist LeftTigerToast Right
Zecks
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2011, 11:32:02 AM »

i believe that visions are the stuffs with more potential for legends

indy games are a bull shit
Theophilus
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2011, 11:34:39 AM »

I wish I had more insights. I did have a recent one, but my partner seems to be away, and I'd like to wait for him.
eiyukabe
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2011, 01:34:44 PM »

What do you guys mean by "vision"? As in, you just get inspired to make something and don't fully know/remember why?
Theophilus
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2011, 01:46:16 PM »

What do you guys mean by "vision"? As in, you just get inspired to make something and don't fully know/remember why?

Sort of. By Vision, I mean inspiration out of nowhere.
antymattar
Level 5

Has earned the contemporary *Banned* medal

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2011, 01:54:39 PM »

Sort of. By Vision, I mean inspiration out of nowhere.
What he means is that armok sends you a VISION and you must do EVERYTHING POSSIBLE to MAKE IT or else you WILL go INSANE!!!

eiyukabe
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2011, 02:44:12 PM »

What he means is that armok sends you a VISION and you must do EVERYTHING POSSIBLE to MAKE IT or else you WILL go INSANE!!!

Oh, that sounds rough  Epileptic
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2011, 03:33:25 PM »

More precisely, you'll start randomly and blindly hitting people and destroying their property. If you happen to kill one of them in the process, it'll cause all their friends and relatives to fall into deep depression, eventually driving them insane too. And then... well, I think you know where this is going...
 Evil

The other option would be committing suicide or stripping naked or wandering around aimlessly until you starve to death.
SundownKid
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2011, 06:25:20 PM »

There's a drug joke in here somewhere...  Cheesy

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic