Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411634 Posts in 69394 Topics- by 58450 Members - Latest Member: wcored

May 13, 2024, 01:58:54 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperDesignEnder's Game
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Ender's Game  (Read 2396 times)
X3N
Level 6

View Profile
« on: April 13, 2011, 04:22:50 AM »

I searched for "ender's game" and saw no results. Really.. ?
Listening to the audio-book, my second time through it.

Is anyone working on a 3D battle room simulation? No gravity, obstacles, disable body parts.. tricky part is all the maneuvers for managing friction and spin.

destiny is truth pre-op
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2011, 08:40:39 AM »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ender's_Game:_Battle_Room
krasimir
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2011, 12:55:52 AM »

So we'll never see it. Though battle room was a game for kids, the big starship simulation is where the money is!

X3N
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2011, 04:22:33 AM »

So we'll never see it. Though battle room was a game for kids, the big starship simulation is where the money is!
There are starships games already. Haven't seen seen something like the Battle Room.

Thanks for the link, C.A. Sinclair. Wonder how we could get the source to that.

destiny is truth pre-op
JMickle
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2011, 11:44:56 AM »

0space by teknopants was inspired by Ender's Game.
http://www.tigsource.com/2011/03/31/tigcompo-winner-0space/

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2011, 02:11:32 PM »

Probably not at all Sad

Shame too, I've liked all of Chair's games so far and I have no doubt this would have been fun as well.
X3N
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2011, 09:33:06 AM »

Probably not at all Sad

Shame too, I've liked all of Chair's games so far and I have no doubt this would have been fun as well.

We need a shadowrun.

destiny is truth pre-op
Richard Kain
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2011, 09:52:37 AM »

Huh, I just thought of a way that an Ender's Game style battle room title could be developed in an "indie" fashion.

Use 2D sprites, but use scaling to give the illusion of depth. Make the game from the top-down perspective. Accuracy of shots would be based on z-distance from target. (and unique stats associated with each character) Moving "forward" in the game would bring you closer to the enemy's position. After all, "the enemy's gate is down."

The game would be part action game, and part management sim. You would only control one unit in each game, but would be able to assign roles to other team members between matches. Each individual team member's stats would develop along with their performance. It would be more an exercise in AI design, and response to the player's input than actual twitch gameplay. You could make it so that you have the ability to switch control from the main player over to other squad leaders on your team, but there would be a penalty for doing so. (perhaps that squad leader receives less experience when you do so) Growing and managing your team properly would be the most important aspect of the game.
Qbopper
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2011, 11:51:59 AM »

I posted an idea last night about a game like the battle room.

God damnit, I have 2 major projects to do and one is due tomorrow so I can't start...
Vegas
Level 0

Skull Servant

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2011, 05:53:36 PM »

There was a counter-strike map (or some other half-life mod) that was the battle room. I think you can find it on Moddb.

Search...

Well, there's this UT mod: http://www.moddb.com/mods/null-grav/images/null-grav-single-player-level-one2

"You can go to hell, and I will go to Texas"
Philtron
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2011, 11:45:32 PM »

I'm more interested in the other game Ender played; the one used to monitor childrens' psychology; the one where Ender, as a mouse, devoured a giant's eyes; the game that creates new portions of itself when a player reaches an event that the programmers didn't anticipate and which can find and utilize new images by going online. How long before we get that game?

Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est
http://electriccartilage.wordpress.com/
Vegas
Level 0

Skull Servant

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2011, 12:01:22 AM »

Not long, I'd say. Data-mining is more popular among big companies than ever. Imagine if a video game could access your facebook or google search data... they'd know a lot about you, and would be able to change the parameters of their game based on that information. So I would say that game is just around the corner.

"You can go to hell, and I will go to Texas"
Destral
Level 10

Climbing that mountain...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2011, 01:04:15 AM »

Both of those are games that would get their creators mad cred. I'd probably play both until I died.

Currently working on: Sword Surfer
X3N
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2011, 08:20:16 AM »

I'm more interested in the other game Ender played; the one used to monitor childrens' psychology; the one where Ender, as a mouse, devoured a giant's eyes; the game that creates new portions of itself when a player reaches an event that the programmers didn't anticipate and which can find and utilize new images by going online. How long before we get that game?

SPOILER Didn't the buggers hack that and code stuff eg. "we've never seen this part of the game before. Whoever made it was sick". If so you're asking for an (not Artificial) Intelligence

destiny is truth pre-op
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic