Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411582 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58445 Members - Latest Member: Mansreign

May 06, 2024, 02:25:59 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsFrog Days
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 15
Print
Author Topic: Frog Days  (Read 57169 times)
swordofkings128
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #200 on: July 10, 2017, 11:01:55 PM »

I've really been wanting to make an "official" gameplay video that demonstrates what the game will be like when done. I've known for a long time what world I'd like to show off as a typical world. I've shown this before, the flower world, it's the first place I thought of when I first started making what would become Frog Days.

Here's some comparisons:

The first render is the first version of the flower world when I was just beginning to learn 3d modeling from December, 2014. The second one is about a week later when I tried again. The current one is from... now! About 5 months shy of 3 years later.

There's a house on the flower(it can be seen poking out on the middle screenshot) and inside was a silverware family. This is from December, 2014.

The tone of the game has changed significantly since then, the house was supposed to be a bit unsettling, but over time the tone became more light hearted until it became rather silly as it will be in the final game.

Maybe it could still be unsettling to some, considering the rug! :p

Looking back on it, I'm really glad that Frog Days isn't like what I originally intended! There's a lot of stuff that's changed, mainly in it's tone, story and puzzle design philosophy, that will make for a way better experience than what I set out to do in the beginning.

This is another big milestone, having one finished, playable world that will be in the final game... in the game! :D I worry sometimes that I won't finish Frog Days, for whatever crazy reason that is within or beyond my control, but this is a good sign that it will be finished.

Sonoshee
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #201 on: July 11, 2017, 05:39:12 AM »

I'm sure Frog Days will see the light one day! You're obviously very motivated about this project, and you're making very good progress too Hand Thumbs Up Right Good luck!!!

freank
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #202 on: July 11, 2017, 10:03:24 AM »

i'm ... i don't like so much the style used...

My last game:

Supporter of
Jay Tholen
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #203 on: July 11, 2017, 10:24:46 AM »

Looks amazing! This is #1 my most highly anticipated game right now. Getting an email that you've made a new post is like Christmas.

Dropsy!

Hypnospace Outlaw - You're a cop/moderator of the future-internet, which looks suspiciously like Geocities. Also you have a sweet car.
swordofkings128
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #204 on: July 11, 2017, 06:55:48 PM »

Thanks Sonoshee, I'm 100% certain that this game will be finished! I wasn't trying to seem unsure of it, it's just over the years I've started plenty of projects but never finished them. However this is way too far along to give up on(and too much fun to make! Well, most of the time anyway Wink)

And thank you Jay Tholen! I feel the same way about Hypnospace Outlaw, the update with the tune sequencer and page builder was amazing...! Though I haven't messed with making a webpage, the tune sequencer is top notch.

Freank, that's fine! Old-ish styled pre-rendered graphics isn't for everyone. I can see why it might not be appealing! I looks dated, it can look messy even before the colors are reduced and it's not even interactive 3d. But for me, making pre-rendered graphics(especially how it looks now) is a dream come! One person's trash is another person's treasure as they say :p

swordofkings128
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #205 on: July 18, 2017, 07:29:14 PM »

I've just finished another world, the second one so far. It's rendered, processed and setup in the game.

*a little birdy-eye view*

The main puzzle, which is fixing the water cooler, isn't implemented yet but it's a simple puzzle to make.

I'd like to show off a few different locations in the gameplay video I mentioned previously so people can get a better idea of the non-linear "open desktop" nature of the game. So this place, the flower world and something else would be in it... or maybe just two places. It'll be a surprise!

For this peanut butter and jelly swamp area, I wanted to have an active swampy, marsh sound to it. Luckily, a couple people were generous enough to put some beautiful recordings of exactly what I wanted in the public domain! The can be found here:
http://freesound.org/people/cognito%20perceptu/sounds/124098/
http://freesound.org/people/kvgarlic/sounds/348570/

Which reminded me, I have sounds I've recorded and processed for Frog Days I've been meaning to make public domain/CC0.
http://freesound.org/people/swordofkings128/

*and don't forget, I also have textures in the public domain you can use! Maybe some day I'll put some models in the public domain...*
https://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=58961.0

There isn't much right now but I have a bunch more I'll upload eventually! It's just a bit of a hassle to tag and describe them all.

jctwood
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #206 on: July 19, 2017, 04:32:05 AM »

I am so excited, these zoomed in close up scenes are amazing. Seeing your older work and how far you have come is really incredible. I have always wondered and can't remember if you already explained, what is the process for actually rendering a scene?

swordofkings128
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #207 on: July 19, 2017, 08:14:58 AM »

Thank you! The process itself is a little unconventional. Most locations I already have a basic environment modeled. In the beginning, the environments were going to be less visually complex. At the time, my computer wasn't up to the task of rendering like 9 million polygons, higher quality ray traced shadows and other fancy effects like reflections and refractions and lots of alpha transparency. And well, the game was just different than what it is now! Less whimsical I guess.

But some time ago it occurred to me that, within the context of the worlds being virtual, digital, file worlds, what if there were someone(s)(or something(s)!?) that were there before you and have edited these virtual places to their own liking. Like they made their own ideal R and R kind of places out of virtual worlds from someone's digitized brain? (that sounds like a bunch of nonsense but trust me... it will make more sense when you play the game)

This was the early version of the pbj world:

*Since this render, besides the obvious changes, I improved the light setup and also made the shadows darker/more dramatic through compositing*

The other file worlds are like this now, they're the clean version of what will be in the game. So in a way, it's an almost "realistic" way of creating a tampered world... go in with a blank canvas and start messing around. Of course, there are other things I keep in mind when adding stuff and messing around... but more about that will be found in the game itself.

So the process is make the vanilla version of a world, start messing around with it as if you were there and had tools to alter objects found in the world and other worlds, then the final step is to set up the camera for interesting shots(and add or move things around so each shot looks interesting)

I have a special folder for scene fodder with 200+ things in it, little objects and things I've modeled just to have as misc objects to add visual interest. Each world has it's own folder that also has it's own more specific scene fodder, but also use that in other worlds as well.

The next location I'll try to document that and put a better explanation here, it's a little difficult to really explain without pictures!

Tabook
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #208 on: July 19, 2017, 09:29:23 AM »

Thank you so much for those textures, I can definitely see myself using many of them in the future. I can't express  my appreciation enough for people who create things for the public domain.

It's good to see that you're making steady progress on this game, and starting to finish off some of the file worlds. This whole thing just seems so unique to me, I'm very excited to play it.
swordofkings128
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #209 on: July 19, 2017, 10:22:08 AM »

No problem! Hope they are useful, I personally have used my tiling cloth bump map and street dirt textures many times. I have a deep appreciation for contributors of the public domain too! I'd love to buy stock photos or sounds when I can't make them myself but I can't afford that... I don't know where I'd be without http://www.publicdomainpictures.net/

I've used so many patterns from that website to fancy-up couches and pillows and stuff... a real time-saver.

*for the record, I don't use 3d models I didn't make! That to me would defeat the purpose of getting good at 3d modeling Tongue the only exception being most trees which are made using the Blender sapling generator and the Utah teapot if it makes an appearance somewhere*

Josh Bossie
Level 3

Fly Safe, Pup

View Profile WWW
« Reply #210 on: July 19, 2017, 11:03:46 AM »

I wasn't even aware I loved this aesthetic until I bumbled into this topic, but now I'm utterly in love. What a fantastic premise and the execution looks wonderful!

swordofkings128
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #211 on: July 27, 2017, 02:24:32 PM »

Thanks Josh @ WARP DOGS, glad you like it! :D

So for making worlds, it's taken some trial and error to get it down to something resembling a process but what I start off with is the basic place I have in mind, usually something I've made awhile ago...

This place goes awhile back. This is from September last year:

The original, basic idea was a very cheap, very shady summer camp in a swamp(maybe the Everglades!?). Run down trailers in the place of cabins. And sharp, rusty objects. Then, the player would walk through a forest path to a deadly beach full of bombs, radioactive waste barrels, rusty nails, shards of glass, etc...

Later on I went back to this and modeled several more trailers.

And kind of left it there, I wasn't entirely satisfied with that concept... So I thought about making it part summer camp, part theme park. Or part summer camp, part water park. This is when I would move on to something else when I got indecisive instead of picking something and working at it... (if I don't make up my mind, I'll never make up my mind...)

And now I'm back to this trailer park/suspicious summer camp idea but from a fresh perspective. The idea of a tetanus filled campscape isn't really the focus... it's something else! When I'm making a world, I have a pretty clear but vague idea of how I want it to flow. Just basic things  For this one, I want:
1. Start inside a trailer(no music, ambient swamp noise)
2. Walk through a trailer "park"(hear the summer camp wandering music) Player sees ferris wheel in the distance, big top tents, hints of what is beyond area.
3. Walk to a turnstile with a carnival on the other side.
4. Requires a puzzle item to pass(if they don't have it, I want them to really want to get in there so that's their goal now)

But then there comes the question- what does the trailer look like inside? What does it look like outside? What would the carnival look like? Any interesting things to see or do anywhere?

*Concept art at it's finest*

I think making things look interesting is very important! I want the graphics to be zesty, especially considering the context of the virtual worlds.  This is a bit of a spoiler, but within Frog Days, there were(are!?) 4 other beings(aliens!?) that have tampered with the virtual worlds before you, the player, arrive. They used digital tools only accessible to them to have god-like dominion over these places. The intention of the tools was to allow access into exploring deeper or obstructed parts of the worlds by manipulating objects in a variety of ways. But things got out of hand very quickly...

*Before, with the idea of a giant fire hydrant*

Each of these beings have their own themes. For example, one uses the FlamingOS paint program within the worlds to paint landscapes and then hangs them on walls... For this location, I've decided this territory belongs to the one who loves Christmas stuff. To keep things brief, say you're an alien who knows nothing about Earth culture or holidays... And now you're exploring virtual worlds reconstructed from an Earthling's digitized brain. Perhaps you like the look of it and just kind of put it around your new found virtual living space or where ever you happen to go. If you stumble upon a door with a wreath on it, there's a good chance this fellow has been there before.

So keeping these factors in mind, I start tamper around with it...

*After*

And at this point I'm ready to setup some camera views.

Setting up a camera is a bit tricky sometimes... same-direction views needs to be spaced out enough to have a steady sense of movement per screen while also looking interesting.

Now just because the camera is in there doesn't mean it's time to render the final shots! I then work on finishing things off, moving things, moving the camera, whatever it takes to get some good interesting looking shots. Sometimes I can add things I've already modeled(like the fire hydrant) other times I model things specifically for the scene(TV, TV stand, bed, pool) and others that will be used later(more Christmas ornaments)

The same goes for the exterior. Here's an (almost done) overhead view:

This section still needs more trees and stuff to it, but it's nearly done. When the environment is close to being done, I get it setup in the game using the viewport renders.

This entire world(minus what's inside the side show tent I'm not showing yet) is 99% done, it just needs a little more detailing. When I'm satisfied with the environment, I render it... then index the renders in photoshop and replace the viewport renders with the final ones. Here's a couple renders:

So that's basically how I go about setting up scenes.

By the way, I've also added more sounds on freesound.org:
http://freesound.org/people/swordofkings128/

That's most of my processed recorded stuff for now, I've got more I need to go through and clean up somewhere... eventually.

swordofkings128
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #212 on: August 03, 2017, 09:34:24 PM »

It seems like I've been knocking out 1 world a week, but this week I'm not quite done yet... That's expected, some worlds are bigger and more complex than others and my ideas get more elaborate as I work on them :p Feel free to pop in some Yanni or Enya because this world is new age, baby...

Based off these two renders it seems like inside this temple is a giant rose garden but it's not! I haven't modeled the temple interior yet...

This world has helped me finally realize the genre of Frog Days- vacation puzzle game. I want my worlds to be inviting and feel like you would want to go there to relax and forget about your problems. Which makes sense as most of these worlds are make shift lounge spots that the aliens themselves made to relax and forget about their problems... Yes that sounds weird but trust me, it'll make a lot more sense when you play the game yourself!

Healing stones for your health:

Bonus brownies:

Made from textures I will be posting in my public domain textures topic soon.

Quicksand-T
Level 4

@Quicksand_T

View Profile WWW
« Reply #213 on: August 03, 2017, 11:08:30 PM »

Those brownies are mouth watering!

jctwood
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #214 on: August 04, 2017, 03:31:49 AM »

Now i'm hungry

swordofkings128
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #215 on: August 04, 2017, 08:54:52 AM »

Thank you! The real brownies were quite delicious and while they weren't exactly home made(had a little help from Duncan Hines) the textures are. If anyone needs tileable brownie textures you can find them here:
https://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=58961.msg1346849#msg1346849

Also if anyone wants to play a really good, high quality short adventure game then give Maggie's Apartment a look:
http://store.steampowered.com/app/652950/Maggies_Apartment/

I'm friends with the programmer who did a fantastic job here. The artwork is absolutely beautiful and the game is fully voice acted(with very good voice acting!)

I had nothing to do with it but I want to share it since it's so good...

RizeoftheSummonds
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #216 on: August 04, 2017, 11:51:38 AM »

Be careful of what you post on your devblogs. For example, you shouldn't be giving away too much information in terms of design choices or scripts. I can see if you're posting programming scripts because you're stuck and need a developer to help you. I'm just giving you a piece of advice in terms of marketing strategy Smiley

Schoq
Level 10

♡∞

View Profile WWW
« Reply #217 on: August 04, 2017, 04:14:30 PM »

How the heck is it "bad marketing" to share scripts or talk about the design? You're basically advising not to have a devlog

♡ ♥ make games, not money ♥ ♡
swordofkings128
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #218 on: August 04, 2017, 09:12:03 PM »

RizeoftheSummonds, I appreciate the advice! However I can assure you I haven't shared anything too crucial. I think sharing design choices or scripts or having a pseudo tutorial now and then make a good devlog! I don't do it as much as I'd like to but an important aspect to a good devlog is having a bit of "here's what I did when I had this problem" or "why I chose to do this" because maybe someone reading it is having a similar issue and having that extra bit of insight could be helpful to them... maybe they think it's stupid and try something completely different and it works out great for them! I'd like to share more stuff in general but because there are so many things I want to be a surprise I don't share them.

However I have realized something and have discovered a possible emergent "marketing strategy" if you want to call it that. But that's information I might not be sharing Wink

Tabook
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #219 on: August 04, 2017, 10:26:29 PM »

How puzzle-heavy would you say this game is? Is it like Myst or is it mostly based on exploring?
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 15
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic