Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411677 Posts in 69399 Topics- by 58453 Members - Latest Member: Arktitus

May 17, 2024, 08:49:06 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperDesignStarting indie development: what about programming?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
Print
Author Topic: Starting indie development: what about programming?  (Read 9624 times)
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 04, 2011, 12:41:44 AM »

I'm not sure if anyone has said this yet, but if you are highschool take a computer science class.
i took what i guess is my country's equivalent of computer science in high school but only because it was easy and i could play games during it. i'm a nerd so i already knew all of the stuff we were tought. i had already made my first crappy ASCII game then.
 Cool
Player 3
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 04, 2011, 06:01:31 AM »

I'll have whatever you're smoking. Not a lot of us want ads in our games.

It doesn't give you ads in game  Tongue

It's giving un-noticeable ads but in IDE (the very bottom of it). And these ads are always showing TGC site.

Notice that Blitz may be a bit better, but it isn't free  Concerned
Then I'll be giving DarkBASIC a shot!
st33d
« Reply #42 on: September 04, 2011, 06:11:32 AM »

if there really is any point in committing yourself to learning a full language, or if it's best to simply cover "just enough" to meet the needs of your projects?

Nobody learns a full language. Just make something.

Back in 2005 I had an idea that I would learn programming. I would learn it through sheer determination despite the fact that I was too stupid to know how to program.

I've made over 20 games now and my IQ has probably jumped up 10 points.

If you stop saying what you can and can't do, you find out you can do anything.

Fuck it, I think I'll fly today. Anyone need a lift?
Masakari
Level 0

Unknown Robot

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: September 04, 2011, 06:43:03 AM »

As an artist, programming really is a pain in the ass. I can only do so much, and my mind really isn't formatted to the kind of analytical thinking I see from programmers I know.

I've been doing a side scroller on/off for about 2 years, was doing it in UDK since I've worked with UE3 professionally alot, but I recently concluded I can't dedicate the time or resources to making it the game I want to make with that kind of production values (think Shadow Complex but without bland art). So I'm gonna start rebuilding the project as a 2D game, somewhere between [Canabalt + Flashback + Another World] kind of visuals.

But since I'm not a programmer, I'm looking at engines with editors that really help me out - the two options I'm most inclined for at the moment are Construct 2 and Unity. I fully expect I will end up hiring or joining forces with a programmer regardless - at some point, even if I did get confortable with the programming, it will be better to focus just on the art and design of the game.

baconman
Level 10

Design Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: September 04, 2011, 07:20:10 AM »

Game programming and art are both about proper space control/usage. Only difference is with programming, you're using math to do it. But then again, you use that for pixel art anyways. Wink (looks at avatar)

st33d
« Reply #45 on: September 04, 2011, 07:21:01 AM »

I'm an artist as well and I don't have a logical mind. I tackle programming in a right-brained fashion.

My point is that you can break your own mould.

It's not about being talented. It's about being willing to invest enough time to change who you are. If you don't have the time, then that's alright. But it irks me when people say things are impossible for them. I've spent many years trying to prove that isn't the case.
baconman
Level 10

Design Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: September 04, 2011, 07:24:26 AM »

Wow, that is some pretty effin', st33d!

Ultima Ratio Regum
Level 7

Game Studies Lecturer, "Ultima Ratio Regum" person

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: September 05, 2011, 08:16:41 AM »

It's about being willing to invest enough time to change who you are. If you don't have the time, then that's alright. But it irks me when people say things are impossible for them.

I totally agree. While I had the mathematical and artistic sides down, I always persuaded myself I simply couldn't learn to program - happily, this turned out not to be the case. I think anybody can learn to program, but finding a good tutorial for either your language, your genre, or - ideally - both, is a huge help.

Nix
« Reply #48 on: September 05, 2011, 09:47:19 AM »

It's not about being talented. It's about being willing to invest enough time to change who you are.

This is useful advice for every aspect of life.
Headless Man
« Reply #49 on: September 06, 2011, 10:35:53 PM »

I'm an artist as well and I don't have a logical mind. I tackle programming in a right-brained fashion.

My point is that you can break your own mould.

It's not about being talented. It's about being willing to invest enough time to change who you are. If you don't have the time, then that's alright. But it irks me when people say things are impossible for them. I've spent many years trying to prove that isn't the case.

This is wrong.  And it is particularly ugly kind of wrong because it's at once happy-clappy 'you can be anything you want to be' bullshit, and also condescensing, judgemental 'you just aren't trying hard enough' bullshit.  The truth is, you have no idea what other people are or are not capable of.  Likely they don't either - but they no doubt have a better idea than you.  Some people are just no good with abstract problem-solving, are wasting their time past a certain point, and would be better off focusing on the skills that come more naturally. Congratulations, you have reached competancy at several different things - but not everybody can do that, and often it's not a terribly good idea to do that even if you're theoretically able.
That said, to some extent basic knowledge of these different things are really important for everybody involved in the collaborative process - especially for designers/planners, so it's good to give different stuff a shot.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2011, 10:41:10 PM by Headless Man » Logged
st33d
« Reply #50 on: September 07, 2011, 12:01:58 AM »

Well maybe if you had a happy clappy attitude you'd have a few more super powers.

Try to bear in mind that I'm in my mid-thirties and been around the block long enough to know that you can learn skills by investing time (5 years minimum) as opposed to assuming you're incapable.
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 07, 2011, 01:04:06 AM »

Programming in something like GML is the easiest shit in the world. I hate math, was terrible at it in school (despite my best efforts) and am sort of annoyed by math geekery. If someone like me can make a decent game in Game Maker, so can you.  The whole idea of these "easy game making tools" is that they don't require any "talent" for abstract problem solving to use.

Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 07, 2011, 02:01:55 AM »

Programming in something like GML is the easiest shit in the world. I hate math, was terrible at it in school (despite my best efforts) and am sort of annoyed by math geekery. If someone like me can make a decent game in Game Maker, so can you.  The whole idea of these "easy game making tools" is that they don't require any "talent" for abstract problem solving to use.

Are you saying you were bad in school math, or bad in abstract problem solving? At least my school math had nothing to do with abstract problem solving (which I later found out I am good at). I only barely survived math in school.

mirosurabu
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 07, 2011, 02:09:39 AM »

Also, if you're struggling to make progress while learning on your own, find someone else to help you / teach you. While learning from books and the Internet is cool, it's way less effective than when you're learning with someone else / when someone else is teaching you.

And, the "natural skills" thing is bullshit. Skills coming "naturally" is equivalent to things being explained to you very well. I, for one, know that programming didn't come to me naturally at all (at least, great deal of it).
ink.inc
« Reply #54 on: September 07, 2011, 07:59:14 AM »

Game Maker: So Easy, Even C.A. Sinclair Can Do It

moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: September 07, 2011, 04:10:48 PM »

I've not seen a gamemaker game by CASinclair yet

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 07, 2011, 04:50:17 PM »

thats because u r dum and you don't read the feedback forumz
http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=12423.0
http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=8226.0
http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=10097.0
http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=13519.0
http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=9651.0

i haven't seen any games from you btw
« Last Edit: September 07, 2011, 05:29:24 PM by C.A. Sinclair » Logged
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 07, 2011, 10:51:28 PM »

Damn those look fresh, I really should finally give a GM a go too...

st33d
« Reply #58 on: September 07, 2011, 11:33:03 PM »

I've not seen a gamemaker game by CASinclair yet

He had a few in his sig when he had the angry moustache man as his avatar
Fauxfox
Level 0

Never knows best!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: September 09, 2011, 11:30:52 AM »

I highly recomend. http://www.scirra.com/ I swaped from game maker to this, and i couldn't be happier.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic