Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411674 Posts in 69399 Topics- by 58452 Members - Latest Member: homina

May 17, 2024, 07:08:37 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperDesignSequelitis version 2...
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Sequelitis version 2...  (Read 1105 times)
baconman
Level 10

Design Guru

View Profile WWW
« on: October 26, 2011, 09:50:17 AM »

VS.

Was one clearly better designed than the other?

WEIGH IN!

For those not in the know:
Supplimental LP of DuckTales.
Immediately subsequent LP of DuckTales 2.

Gazillion
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2011, 10:05:24 AM »

Duck Tales was definitely one of my favourite games growing up. It was only when I decided to start collecting NES games that I found out about Duck Tales 2. I haven't played it yet because that game is hard to find for a reasonable price!

The LP of the sequel makes it look as solid as the first but since I haven't played it then it makes it a little tough to judge.

Robotwo
Level 2

I'm a complicated being after all

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2011, 10:14:28 AM »

Going to be honest here and say I haven't gotten very far in any of them  Concerned
They just didn't spark my interest that much, although I loved the soundtrack in them Smiley
Second one is just about as solid as the first one IMO, but it also adds a few nice gameplay elements  Wink

What we are is simply a stepping stone to what we can become
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2011, 11:08:52 AM »

I haven't played the NES versions of these games, but I have the Gameboy ports, which are identical AFAIK.

Let's see. Ducktales 1 is a straight-up linear platformer, the second game adds more exploration and item hunting aspects and feels a bit more "Metroidvania-"like.

The first is definitely the one I played more and was one of my fave GB games as a kid. I think DT2 has a slight case of  the Simon's Quest syndrome where the "exploration" aspects feel shoehorned into a game that doesn't really need them. Upgrading your pogo stick and shopping are additions that don't disrupt the game per se, but still feel a bit superficial. DT1 also had the better level designs, or at least they were much more memorable. Who could forget the moon? Great music in both games.
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2011, 12:05:16 AM »

I never played DT2, but I sure played DT1 on NES a lot. What engaged me into it was that all the times it felt twisted and scary. It was sick stuff. Can't really but my finger on it, but maybe it was how the levels were designed and the music. It is haunting.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic