Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411589 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58443 Members - Latest Member: Mansreign

May 07, 2024, 01:13:36 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralBooks that would make great games
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]
Print
Author Topic: Books that would make great games  (Read 16094 times)
William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: September 28, 2008, 04:23:06 AM »

For people who liked 'Day of the Triffids' and wanted to play a game of it, I think they would be better served by a conservative shooter where you kill Triffids with water-based attacks.
I think you are thinking of the movie.  It's...not good.
Eh... yeah, I only saw the movie, and even that was a while ago.

Valter
Level 10

kekekekeke

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: September 28, 2008, 08:00:48 AM »

The Great Gatsby
neon
Level 10

DOHOHOHOHO

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: September 28, 2008, 06:21:43 PM »

The Great Gatsby

you're gonna need a good explanation to sell that one

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #83 on: September 28, 2008, 07:56:17 PM »

Dante's Inferno: Punch Your Way Through Seven Levels of Hell

Smithy
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: September 28, 2008, 09:23:59 PM »

The short stories of Cordwainer Smith.

Would be a good MMO. Not that I'm into that kind of thing, but his universe really really would. He was way ahead of his time. I doubt anyone ever heard of him, though. He tried his best not to be popular. Every time he gained an audience he changed his pseudonym and wrote in a different genre. Settled on sci fi with cordwainer smith. Stupid jerk should have stuck with it and let his audience grow.

skaldicpoet9
Level 10

"The length of my life was fated long ago "

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: September 30, 2008, 01:19:45 PM »

Adventure game based on the book Wind Whales of Ismael by Philip Jose Farmer.  Ismael falls through a hole in time and space at the end of moby dick to find himself 3000 years in the future where there are no seas, but nomads make their living fishing wind whales, which are a combination of whales and zeppelins.  Imagine The Curse of Monkey Island combined with moby dick combined with Skies of Arcadia combined with sid meirs Pirates!  

I need to read this book!

I think the Wheel of Time series would make an excellent game. The game would take place during the events of the book but you would control a completely new character that would witness the events that lead up to Tarmon Gai'don the last battle between Rand and Shaitan. It could be either third person or first person and would play like a cross between Oblivion and Mass Effect. The came would be completely open-ended and choice driven. You could join the dark one or join the side of the Dragon. Or choose to become a Whitecloak and hunt both.

Dune would make an excellent Action Rpg/Turn Based Strategy game. You would be at the head of a minor royal house vying for more power on the Landsraad using both stealth and brute military force. Part of the game would be a third person rpg where you control a convert group to carry out missions and the other part would consist of using a larger force in a Final Fantasy Tactics-esque setup to seize control of various resources and trade channels.

Oh and Ender's Game would definitely make a great game as well.

\\\\\\\"Fearlessness is better than a faint heart for any man who puts his nose out of doors. The date of my death and length of my life were fated long ago.\\\\\\\"
muku
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: September 30, 2008, 01:23:58 PM »

I think the Wheel of Time series would make an excellent game.

There is both a MUD and a major 3d action game based on Wheel of Time.

Dune would make an excellent Action Rpg/Turn Based Strategy game.

I feel like I'm stating the obvious here, but do you know the games Dune, Dune 2 and Dune 2000?

Erm Smiley
skaldicpoet9
Level 10

"The length of my life was fated long ago "

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: September 30, 2008, 01:42:07 PM »

Of course I know of and have played the majority of those as well but they just didn't appeal to me. I think the Wheel of Time game was pretty much generic and poorly done. The first Dune game was good and not to mention ground breaking in it's day but I want something more immersive from a Dune game. The Wheel of Time MUD however is pretty good and I have spent a few hours on it. I was thinking of a game that is more expansive then any of those that you mentioned though. These are epic book series so I demand epic games Tongue

\\\\\\\"Fearlessness is better than a faint heart for any man who puts his nose out of doors. The date of my death and length of my life were fated long ago.\\\\\\\"
shrimp
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #88 on: September 30, 2008, 02:11:35 PM »

The short stories of Cordwainer Smith.

Yes! Also something set in the world of "Only Forward" by Michael Marshall Smith. The different city districts (Colour, Cat, the bureaucracy one, the anarchy one, etc) and the Jeamland are quite gamey concepts. Jeamland would be mad (a world made of dreams, very unstable, inconsistent and surreal, but that can be manipulated to save people from their nightmares etc)

Also (thinking of dreams) a Lovecraft MMO or maybe some sort of RPG. I'd like to play as Randolph Carter and have a cat and a ghoul in my party Smiley (Dream Quest of Unknown Kadath spoilerage)

I'd settle for a triffids game though.

deadeye
First Manbaby Home
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: September 30, 2008, 04:04:59 PM »

Yes!  I was trying to think of a way to make this into a game, seeing as how Dante is really just an observer, but adding punching would do nicely :D

I think... I think I actually want to make this game Shocked

tweet tweet @j_younger
muku
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: September 30, 2008, 04:16:40 PM »

Yes!  I was trying to think of a way to make this into a game, seeing as how Dante is really just an observer, but adding punching would do nicely :D

I think... I think I actually want to make this game Shocked

I really seem to be in some kind of obnoxious mood today, so I'll just post

and get it over with already.
Cerogravian
Level 2

Working As Designed

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: September 30, 2008, 04:29:45 PM »

Damn, you've got to love that mood-fitting music Smiley

EDIT: Not to mention the Epic final boss-fight! Shocked
« Last Edit: September 30, 2008, 04:32:49 PM by Cerogravian » Logged
deadeye
First Manbaby Home
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: September 30, 2008, 04:37:33 PM »

Haha, that game looks awesome.  I'm sad they didn't show Minos though, you only get to see his tail Sad.  Also... Joy to the World as the victory song :D

I was thinking of more of a beat-em-up style.  Definitely have to have a level where Dante is riding a dragon though WTF

tweet tweet @j_younger
Jrsquee
« Reply #93 on: September 30, 2008, 05:36:45 PM »

Oh, cool. I made a list of just such books somewhere. *goes and gets it*

Finn Family Moomintroll. It would be kind of like Animal Crossing except with a bigger world to explore, and Moomintroll characters. You can take various characters on your adventures and depending on who you bring, things might turn out a little differently. You also get the Hobgoblin's Hat and can use it to transmute items, kind of like that Harardric Cube thingy in Diablo. And every so often you would get a visit from the Groke and shit yourself.

That sounds like a really really good idea.
Seth
« Reply #94 on: September 30, 2008, 05:41:36 PM »

Haha, that game looks awesome.  I'm sad they didn't show Minos though, you only get to see his tail Sad.  Also... Joy to the World as the victory song :D

I was thinking of more of a beat-em-up style.  Definitely have to have a level where Dante is riding a dragon though WTF

I think the gameplay should change for each circle of hell.  For instance, when Dante is going through the circle where everyone gets blown about by a storm, it plays like a shmup, and so on.
William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: September 30, 2008, 06:55:20 PM »

I imagined it as a sidescroller, because then you could really get a sense of constantly travelling downwards. It would be like descending the mountain in Knytt except it goes on for the whole game.

Alex May
...is probably drunk right now.
Level 10

hen hao wan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #96 on: October 01, 2008, 06:53:42 AM »

I'd like to make a point and clicker out of The Trial

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic