Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411588 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58443 Members - Latest Member: Mansreign

May 06, 2024, 09:14:55 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralEncyclopedia Tigmatica
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7
Print
Author Topic: Encyclopedia Tigmatica  (Read 17292 times)
William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« on: September 21, 2008, 05:27:01 AM »

This is a thread to catalogue the various memes of Tigsource, maybe for people who are new and don't understand some of them. There are plenty from the old days that I don't get (like DigiPen) so post your own!

Cave story ripoff: One of our most venerable memes, this one began when information began to surface about a game called The Underside, which looked suspiciously similar to our beloved Cave Story. People started calling it a 'cave story ripoff' while others defended it. Soon people began to refer to many other games as Cave Story ripoffs, even if they didn't look anything like Cave Story. In fact, the less Cave Story-like a game is, the funnier it is to say it's a Cave Story ripoff. However, the meme has now fallen into disrepute and those seen using it will be frowned upon in the same manner as a 4chan poster who declares "so I herd u liek mudkips".

Badges:There is no official name for the pictures that appear above someone's postcount, but some people refer to them as badges. Only admins can bestow these, and almost all of them are unique. Some are a mark of some special honour, while others are intentionally embarassing. Shinygerbil, Benzido and TAMER have perhaps the most famous badges.

Manbabies: Members with exactly one post are manbabies, and get a special badge to display this. They are then allowed to post once in the Mancrib forum. Once they have used their second post, they cannot see the Mancrib again until they reach 300 posts. Statistically speaking, most manbabies never see their manbaby post again. There is also an unrelated website (manbabies.com) featuring disturbing photoshops of men with babies' bodies and babies with mens' bodies.

Ban Hammer: The idea of hammer that bans people is as old as the internet. One of the special badges a poster can get is the BANNED badge, which appears after they are banned and displays a Hammer Bro squashing Mario with a hammer. For a while it was common to post pictures of various hammers in any thread that was certain to be locked and banned.

Giant Hotdog: Later it became customary for a moderator to replace the post of a spambot or other undesirable with a picture of an extraordinarily long hotdog. In response to this, those posting in doomed threads would comment on the spambot's post as if it made references to long hotdogs, even though it didn't.

Airship 2600: A meme that we flagrantly stole from some other website where there was a pathetic game dev competition with only two mediocre entries. People there all decided to vote for a nonexistent game called Airship 2600 and talked about how it was the greatest game ever. On Tigsource it has become more like a messiah figure than an actual game.

Polybius: An urban legend about an old arcade game that caused seizures and suicide. On Tigsource, Polybius is considered the antichrist, the polar opposite of Airship 2600. People sometimes post in bold red to signify that they are possessed by Polybius, usually uttering variations on the phrase 'everything is fine.'

Sick Panda: This meme began after the forums were infected with terrible virusy code somehow and they shut down for several days while Derek found a new host or something. He posted a picture on the frontpage of Tigsource showing a sick panda, to represent the forums. Because everyone was suffering from 'forum withdrawal symptoms' they all posted in the comments of the Sick Panda post, making it possibly the most commented post in all of Tigsource. Sick Panda appeared several more times on the front page and was also references in increpare's Lady Boy Love Collection.

Giant Naked Men: A meme that began with somebody posting an image of a game he was working on which featured a giant naked man stomping on a village (or possibly saving it). Later, people clamoured to have a Tigsource competition based around Giant Naked Men, but the suggestion was thankfully ignored.

TAMER: The poster with the best ratio of fame to number of posts. He posted perhaps four times, always eschewing grammar and spelling to the point where many considered him a spambot even though he never posted any links. His first post in particular, 'HOW CARE AOUT THE GRAPHIC' is well remembered by all. All of his posts were later made into cheesy lolcats, or in one case a lolsloth.

www.downloadviruses.com: After TAMER was accused of being a spambot, many other users faced similar accusations. The more respected and eloquent a member is, the funnier it is to say he is a spambot. When people pretend to be a spambot, they  end their posts with a link to www.downloadviruses.com. Nowadays, the word spambot is also used to refer to posters with high post counts, since they obviously only got so many posts by spamming.

Merlin: There is a picture of a bald guy who I think is Merlin. I have never worked out where he came from or why people find him funny, but he crops up all over the place.

The face swapping disease: Some forum posters catch a disease that causes their avatars to swap faces with another poster's avatar, or sometimes more than one. Nobody knows what causes it and there is no cure but luck and patience.

Tigersauce: A while ago Derek decided, in his infinite wisdom, to change the banner on the frontpage from 'TigSource' to 'Tiger Sauce'. This was kind of funny because it had that cheesy picture of a tiger jumping through fire. But it really became hilarious when Derek received a spam email asking him to feature their game on Tigsource, except they actually referred to it as 'Tiger Sauce'. Derek posted this email on the forums and many lulz were had. (Though to be fair on the spammers, it was a very polite email apart from that).

« Last Edit: September 23, 2008, 07:39:28 PM by chutup » Logged

ChevyRay
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2008, 05:40:58 AM »

Pfft, memes.
Mr. Yes
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2008, 05:57:46 AM »

The face swapping disease: Some forum posters catch a disease that causes their avatars to swap faces with another poster's avatar, or sometimes more than one. Nobody knows what causes it and there is no cure but luck and patience.

Ah. So that's what's been going on...

Valter
Level 10

kekekekeke

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2008, 06:00:58 AM »

We at the TIG hospital division have been working on a cure to the infamous "face swappitis". We have isolated the disease in a controlled testing environment, and are fervently studying it to find an antidote. Cures will be distributed as soon as we can manage. Gentleman
William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2008, 06:05:28 AM »

Pfft, memes.
What have you done? I was free from the virus up till now!!

muku
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2008, 06:32:49 AM »

For the love of god, don't forget about the crotch dolphin.
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2008, 08:45:24 AM »

Cave story ripoff: One of our most venerable memes, this one began when information began to surface about a game called The Underside, which looked suspiciously similar to our beloved Cave Story. People started calling it a 'cave story ripoff' while others defended it. Soon people began to refer to many other games as Cave Story ripoffs, even if they didn't look anything like Cave Story. In fact, the less Cave Story-like a game is, the funnier it is to say it's a Cave Story ripoff. However, the meme has now fallen into disrepute and those seen using it will be frowned upon in the same manner as a 4chan poster who declares "so I herd u liek mudkips".
Our most respected and beloved meme

Badges:There is no official name for the pictures that appear above someone's postcount, but some people refer to them as badges. Only admins can bestow these, and almost all of them are unique. Some are a mark of some special honour, while others are intentionally embarassing. Shinygerbil, Benzido and TAMER have perhaps the most famous badges.
Where's my "UGLY WITH POWER" badge  Cry

Giant Hotdog: Later it became customary for a moderator to replace the post of a spambot or other undesirable with a picture of an extraordinarily long hotdog. In response to this, those posting in doomed threads would comment on the spambot's post as if it made references to long hotdogs, even though it didn't.
The point of posting about hot dogs in the thread is that, once the thread has been moderated all these comments become relevant!
FHTYKG

Merlin: There is a picture of a bald guy who I think is Merlin. I have never worked out where he came from or why people find him funny, but he crops up all over the place.
Uh ? Huh?

Corpus! Corpus was the one to bring this filth among us Angry

Crotch dolphin
It's a tailfin dumbass.

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2008, 09:19:07 AM »

Giant Naked Men: A meme that began with somebody posting an image of a game he was working on which featured a giant naked man stomping on a village (or possibly saving it). Later, people clamoured to have a Tigsource competition based around Giant Naked Men, but the suggestion was thankfully ignored.
It was actually, I believe, the image of one of two "what's this game about?" threads, in which a picture would be posted - a screenshot of a nonexistent game - and members would then commence to come up with ideas on how it would play based on this one image alone. I can't seem to find the original threads, but I didn't look very hard, either.

And shhh about the M.C.!

Renton
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2008, 10:32:20 AM »

I wish I had been around the time of TAMER.

Also, this should be made sticky.
muku
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2008, 10:36:54 AM »

Uh ? Huh?

Yeah, now that I think about it.... what in the world are you talking about?
Corpus
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2008, 10:43:40 AM »

It's not cool if people understand what you're talking about.

How will we communicate our superiority now?

EDIT: Who the dick is Merlin man?
« Last Edit: September 21, 2008, 10:48:14 AM by Corpus » Logged
Tanner
Level 10

MMPHM *GULP*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2008, 11:30:32 AM »

What about Martha Stewart?

Massena
Level 4

Satisfied.

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2008, 11:36:53 AM »

This man-god is some Nordic hard rock star who stared into the camera for minutes on end! MINUTES!
I can't find the video Sad

Hideous
That's cool.
Level 10

3D models are the best

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2008, 11:44:15 AM »

A quick youtube search for "Norweigan Metal" gave me this:

He's at the beginning, and at the end of that part.

Corpus
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2008, 12:13:55 PM »

Oh, right. He's not bald, though. He has a profusion of hair, if I remember correctly.
medieval
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2008, 01:15:54 PM »

GENTLEMEN
OWLS
MONOCLE
Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2008, 01:52:03 PM »

This man-god is some Nordic hard rock star who stared into the camera for minutes on end! MINUTES!
I can't find the video Sad

You asked... the wrong... question...

I dunno, ask Terry, he worships that image.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
Renton
« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2008, 01:57:53 PM »

OWLS

Yes. I have to know about the owls. Tell me about the owls.
Corpus
« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2008, 02:33:03 PM »

Renton, play Owl Country. It will tell you all you need to know.

(I don't have time to explain properly atm, but I will if nobody else does it before me.)
Saker
« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2008, 02:36:41 PM »

I wish I had been around the time of TAMER.
me too @.@

by the way .. neon called me mos def .. does that mean anything ??
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic