Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411581 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58445 Members - Latest Member: Mansreign

May 05, 2024, 07:34:34 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperBusinessDid you quit your job to go indie?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10
Print
Author Topic: Did you quit your job to go indie?  (Read 31146 times)
Orymus
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: August 29, 2013, 04:55:12 AM »

DaCo,

Apologies but I must be in full disagreement with your current situation and advice.

I do not recommend quitting your job to make a video game for any reason other than it being your only option of advancement and you can stand eating once or twice a day, drinking only water etc. I especially advise against it if you are doing the art and programming by yourself.

I don't believe going indie is something to be taken lightly. It's not something you can just succeed at randomly, without any prior experience. I'm not saying you need industry experience, but education helps, or cheer dedication.
More importantly however, I especially don't agree that the only reason to go indie is because of a lack of options, quite on the contrary. I believe you should decide to go indie. Choosing to let go of something in order to start something else makes you weight the pros and cons and see exactly why you'll succeed or not.
It's not impossible you'll succeed by being "forced to be indie", but its unlikely at best.

Also, if you do the art and programming on your own, you're actually cutting off on upfront payment, which means you lessen the financial risks of your project. This is a particularly efficient approach. It allows to reach further into your development cycle by only paying for your rent and food, without actually bothering about freelancers, etc.
The reason why this is particularly encouraged is because its hard to find people that are both SERIOUS and willing to work for royalties. You either get serious people that have made the reality check that most projects won't reach market, thus, they'll want a contract, or non-serious indies that will settle for royalties but never deliver.
On the rare chance that you get someone that fits both criterias (and I was lucky enough to find at least one) you're simply extremely lucky and should respect that relationship.

In other words, going indie requires you to do "everything", whether you like it or not. It's a good time to start doing UI design, art and programming if you haven't before. The product might be shitty, because you may not be good in all of these fields, but it will make you a stronger candidate on the indie market.

You also need a B Plan (and C...)
Going indie as your last plan and expecting to somehow win big is a bit silly if not altogether crazy. On the extremely unlikely chance that your game will be great, there's an even smaller chance it will even get noticed, or even sell out. This is a thriving business with a lot of competition. Look at the appstore for example. Staying in the top 10 for longer than a few hours is near impossible.

I wish you luck, but I believe you should revisit your approach to indie devving.
Onimwad
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 29, 2013, 07:19:59 AM »

When I talk about a lack of options, I don't just mean going indie in general. I'm talking specifically about quitting one's job and working full-time and unpaid on one's own project. I personally took the plunge because the longer I'm at that crap job, the longer it's going to be before I can move to the next step in life. If I don't do something, I will just sit where I am, making tiny, lateral moves until I die homeless. Thus, my only option is to use what I know to further myself, shutting everything else out. Making money is not my goal. My goal is to prove what I can do and open up new opportunities. If I do not make this game, or make something, that will not happen. Sacrifices are made along the way.

If you haven't been pushed far enough to put your work over your well-being, there's no reason making that kind of sacrifice. That means you're at least a little satisfied where you are, so take it slow if you can.
Orymus
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: August 29, 2013, 09:22:04 AM »

When I talk about a lack of options, I don't just mean going indie in general. I'm talking specifically about quitting one's job and working full-time and unpaid on one's own project. I personally took the plunge because the longer I'm at that crap job, the longer it's going to be before I can move to the next step in life. If I don't do something, I will just sit where I am, making tiny, lateral moves until I die homeless. Thus, my only option is to use what I know to further myself, shutting everything else out. Making money is not my goal. My goal is to prove what I can do and open up new opportunities. If I do not make this game, or make something, that will not happen. Sacrifices are made along the way.

If you haven't been pushed far enough to put your work over your well-being, there's no reason making that kind of sacrifice. That means you're at least a little satisfied where you are, so take it slow if you can.

Thinking that the only way to better one's condition is to do it all from scratch at home would be a mistake. I left fast-food jobs to go into retail, and then retail to go into game development without having the proper education. Sure, I've been programming since I was 9 as a hobby, but I never felt the urge to leave my day job to better my condition.
The only reason I'm sure I'll leave by Q1 2015 is because I have a set goal of what I'm trying to achieve.

I am somewhat satisfied by the industry I'm in. I mean, I don't like what I do per se, but I'm good at it, I get respect for it, I get money for it.
I however prefer working directly with clients, as I get a more hollistic understanding of what they want and can better gauge priorities, etc. Going indie for me is also having clients (part time). I think its good to keep in touch with others, see what they need, it pushes you to evolve as a developer.

That said, the will to create one's "own thing" thrumps it all for me. My motivation to do this is constructive, and not a reaction to the current environment I'm in. I'm not "fed up" with what I do. It's just a job. One I can leave.
Tuba
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: August 29, 2013, 09:41:44 AM »

I believe this fits in this thread: http://zenpencils.com/comic/128-bill-watterson-a-cartoonists-advice/ Smiley

ekun
Level 1

caffeen

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: August 29, 2013, 03:44:20 PM »

Thanks everyone for the stories. It's always nice to get perspective on these things.

I feel like I'm ignoring most of the advice from those of you who've done this before, but I can't stop myself. I've gone ahead and taken the plunge. No more cushy salary for me, I'll be full time indie come next week.

Scared, yet excited at the same time  Smiley

Liza
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: August 29, 2013, 09:21:53 PM »

Thanks everyone for the stories. It's always nice to get perspective on these things.

I feel like I'm ignoring most of the advice from those of you who've done this before, but I can't stop myself. I've gone ahead and taken the plunge. No more cushy salary for me, I'll be full time indie come next week.

Best of luck!

Orymus
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: August 30, 2013, 05:17:50 AM »

Be sure to let us know what you're working on Smiley
mychii
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 30, 2013, 06:37:24 PM »

@Tuba nice article thanks.

Good luck! :D
Urthvas Williamson
Level 0

Urthvas Williamson

View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: September 04, 2013, 05:07:36 PM »

I quit my job to go indie! I think that is the right way to do it. If you are trying to do another job, or even just contracting, it can be very distracting. It is already pretty hard to make good games, so you don't want your focus broken up by work or other things like girls.

"I'm not gonna change into anything, Ty. I must take him on as a man. So the others realize they can stand up to him.  Without fear."

See the I.G.F. Announce trailer for BREATH OF THE DRAGON:

See updates on the tumblr at: http://urthvas.tumblr.com
oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 05, 2013, 02:59:11 AM »

Well, I did not technically quit, because the company I was working for went bankrupt, and I obviously had to go. We all had. However, I took the opportunity to try to get back into full-time game development again after that, and have been trying for a couple of months now. No luck so far, but hopefully soon. Otherwise, I shall try to apply for a coding job at one of the other game development studios within the office complex where we are now seated, and hopefully be able to use the advantageous situation of having my own office in the same place. Not yet, though!

Good luck, ekun!

Liza
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #70 on: September 05, 2013, 03:30:19 AM »

Well, I did not technically quit, because the company I was working for went bankrupt, and I obviously had to go. We all had. However, I took the opportunity to try to get back into full-time game development again after that, and have been trying for a couple of months now. No luck so far, but hopefully soon. Otherwise, I shall try to apply for a coding job at one of the other game development studios within the office complex where we are now seated, and hopefully be able to use the advantageous situation of having my own office in the same place. Not yet, though!

Good luck, ekun!

Could you elaborate on what you mean by "no luck yet"? Are you looking for clients to develop games for, or a publisher, a game you've released isn't actually making money yet, or just having no luck with the development process itself? Ie what part of the process is going wrong?

Whatever it is, good luck and I hope it gets better for you soon!

King Tetiro
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #71 on: September 05, 2013, 04:43:35 AM »

I'm considering quitting to go indie myself. I found myself at a company and whilst it is good to be working, I've been preparing for since secondary school to go indie as it's been my dream (sappy I know but we all need dreams). And working at a global company makes me feel like I've ignored that dream. Especially when all I've got from my new trilogy project is praise. If I went indie, I'd be developing the first game by the end of the year. (Every saturday I spent working on the engine. I am now 6 weeks ahead of schedule due to blocking all distractions)

I look forward to october though. I took up a bookkeeping course so I could learn how to keep the books. And on circumstances, I may even be developing my games full time! God knows how fast I could develop if I was given all 7 days instead of just one :O
ktalkimist
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #72 on: September 05, 2013, 06:16:11 AM »

Wow, I'm surprised there are married folks with kids who leave their jobs to go indie. How do you explain to/convince the spouse?

I was under the impression that starting out as an indie (not going indie from many years of saving up and gaining experience doing AAA games) required specific circumstances, such as having no financial obligations other than your own survival.

Gregg Williams
Level 10

Retromite code daemon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #73 on: September 05, 2013, 07:40:29 AM »

Wow, I'm surprised there are married folks with kids who leave their jobs to go indie. How do you explain to/convince the spouse?

I was under the impression that starting out as an indie (not going indie from many years of saving up and gaining experience doing AAA games) required specific circumstances, such as having no financial obligations other than your own survival.

You just do it I guess. Happiness is better than money and false security.

Muz
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: September 06, 2013, 01:57:31 AM »

Yeah, it's hard. Had to convince my mother and in-laws too. But what can they do about it? Easier to ask for forgiveness than ask for permission.

I justify it under the following - taking risks is better than optimistic denial. Showed them that the wage didn't cover for living costs. Showed them the risk calculations. Showed them that my company has been slow in paying overtime and delays raises until someone quits. Showed that even with standard raises, it would take 2 years just to break even with living costs what with the baby and all.

The majority of my career moves involved moves to convince my family members that what I was doing was right. I think the hardest thing is strategic withdrawal - when you get a good job or build a strong business and then withdraw to get a better one. People are way more likely to prevent losing money than to actually earn money.

It was a great gamble though.. not that it's much of a gamble at all. Games would probably be more of a gamble, because you'd have to stay firm for at least 2 years to make it to a top 10% list or be stable.

But I went for indie app development as a stepping stone into indie game development. It's nice to have a bunch of money flowing in while I do nothing, and really easy to convince people when you have a year-long track record of being able to work on your own and feed the family.

Also, if you married the right person, your spouse should be able to prevent the family from starving anyway Tongue
Orymus
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #75 on: September 06, 2013, 05:14:13 AM »

My way to convince my significant other was simply to put facts in front of her:
Having a job in the industry sometimes isn't half as stable as being your own boss.

Risks of being your own boss include not finding contracts or not being able to sell your product, which both means lack of income, but through hard work, you can overcome this.

Risks of the industry include that you could be axed at any given point, no matter how confident you feel about your position. And there's NOTHING you can do when that happens.

I've been let go once, for economic reasons, with a reference letter in hand, but it was a rough time for our family (though it lasted only 4 weeks before I started at another place). Being my own boss allows me to prevent this from happening. If things go awry, you get to see it coming and can plan accordingly.
luxregina
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: September 08, 2013, 09:23:43 AM »

Hello everyone! This is somewhat my first post here.

I'm actually surprised by this topic - I didn't know there were so many people that took the same type of risk I did - it's somewhat heartwarming! Smiley

I've been making "small" indie games on the nights and week ends since the 2000's and after releasing my 14th game, I decided to drop my job and go "full indie".

I used to be a Creative Director in a somewhat high profile advertising agency, so I was able to save enough money to make sure the bills were paid for a year (mortgage, various bills, and a bit of pocket money) - that's the argument I used to convinced my wife that this was the right move. To the poster that was wondering how "tough" it would be to convince the spouse: they usually care about you Smiley and I'd say if you are taking the risk to go full indie, then you most likely belong to one of those two situations (if not both):
- You are burnt out with your job, lost the passion, or can't stand anymore various things about it
- You made some definitive progress on one of your personal project that leads you to think it may be successful enough to allow you to plan a future for yourself and your family.

In my case, that's definitely both: I was tired of having to feel "dragged down" by either agency politics and/or client politics, and my last game before quitting did quite well, that I wondered how things would go if I was able to dedicate myself full-time to a project.

Here we are, 4 months and an LLC later, about to release our game on Greenlight and about to sell a version of the game to sponsors... In those 4 months, I haven't made much money, but it was expected. The success (or flop) of our current game will most likely shape the things to come but I'd say that even if that thing doesn't pan out the way I want, I took "time off" from the ugly politics, added a project on my portfolio I'm extremely proud of, and gathered a solid experience in small business management that will definitely be profitable to my carrier in the future.

I think that the secret, as far as I'm concerned, is not only to anticipate for success, but also for failure: what do you get out of it if it fails - if you can put something in that column, then you never truly lose and it makes the risk much more palatable Smiley
Orymus
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #77 on: September 08, 2013, 05:36:59 PM »

Luxregina, dare I say you make kickass games at that?
Gratz on the move, really refreshing stuff to see there, and you've been doing this for a while which is even greater.
luxregina
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: September 08, 2013, 06:03:09 PM »

Thanks much! I'm lucky to work with a very talented coder! and by looking at the variety of games announced here, I'm far from being the only one - and I think that's precisely what's great about that "financial" risk, is that, at worst, it buys cool portfolio pieces very few would get at a regular job Smiley

Not sure if it's bad to post a link here, as it belongs to the announcement section, but here's a link to the product we are hoping to release in few weeks on Steam >

(it's the second trailer, showing some gameplay this time)
Apologies to the mods if this doesn't belong.
oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: September 08, 2013, 07:08:10 PM »

Good luck, ekun!

Could you elaborate on what you mean by "no luck yet"? Are you looking for clients to develop games for, or a publisher, a game you've released isn't actually making money yet, or just having no luck with the development process itself? Ie what part of the process is going wrong?
One little game out. No success. Decided to make it free. Now working on something bigger which requires preparation and time and we hope to get some funding somewhence.

Whatever it is, good luck and I hope it gets better for you soon!
Thank you!

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic