Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411526 Posts in 69381 Topics- by 58436 Members - Latest Member: GlitchyPSI

May 01, 2024, 11:53:34 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingCorners of my Mind
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Corners of my Mind  (Read 3333 times)
PlayMeTape
« on: May 13, 2009, 01:22:09 PM »

This is a little game/project I've been working on for a little while and would like to hear your opinions about. For now, it's finished. But I might add levels and try to make it better in other ways if you would help me out.

So please, try it out at least. Tell me what you think!

It's called Corners of my Mind and it's a puzzle/platformer about a mathematician gone mad. Use WASD-keys to flip the screen and steer the character with the arrows. Space is for jumping.

yoyogames link: http://www.yoyogames.com/games/show/81640

rapidshare link: http://rapidshare.com/files/232865622/Corners_of_my_Mind.rar  (fixed)

Sorry about all the fuss with the links, I messed up!

Thanks to anyone who will voice they're opinion!

A little help please, how do I post pictures?
« Last Edit: May 19, 2009, 07:46:39 AM by PlayMeTape » Logged
Bood_war
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2009, 02:02:18 PM »

Downloading.

PlayMeTape
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2009, 02:26:41 PM »

Downloading.

Great, report back to me pretty please Smiley!
jazzuo
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2009, 02:41:21 PM »

wooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooow
i have reach eaternity is it over???
i was first angered by the art aproach but by time i started to like it suits the game. Anyway it first took me like 10 deathes to figure out why i die??? whats going on, why i cannot change the gravity feely. It took me while to figure out gravity goes to where i point, and get all the hang of it. Otherwise it was little long but enough interesting to keep me at it. i knew not about load so i finished on first try

good game man
PlayMeTape
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2009, 02:46:26 PM »

wooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooow
i have reach eaternity is it over???
i was first angered by the art aproach but by time i started to like it suits the game. Anyway it first took me like 10 deathes to figure out why i die??? whats going on, why i cannot change the gravity feely. It took me while to figure out gravity goes to where i point, and get all the hang of it. Otherwise it was little long but enough interesting to keep me at it. i knew not about load so i finished on first try

good game man

Thank you for the kind words. I know the learning curve is a bit... steep. But I didn't want to make a very long game. The ending is really abrupt but that was my intention, hopefully that comes across. There are some problems (like walking off ledges with spikes on the side) that I might mend. Overall I am pretty satisfied since this is basically my first 'completed' project.

To anyone that wonders, the game automatically saves when you press ingame. But it's limited to one save file. This shouldn't be a problem though because the game isn't very long. It's just pretty hard. In my opinion at least Tongue.
Curseman
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2009, 07:34:33 PM »

The rapidshare link doesn't work.
PlayMeTape
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2009, 01:24:24 AM »

The rapidshare link doesn't work.

I fixed it, sorry for the inconvenience.
Kamos
Level 0

Hey.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2009, 05:28:51 PM »

Hey PlayMeTape,

I had some mixed feelings about your game. First, let me say I thought the music was really good. The graphics, though, were... "Epileptic" - especially a screen that flashes white-black-white-black-white-black-aaaaaah! at 100.000.000Hz.

(Fortunately, it seems I'm not one of those guys that starts bleeding through their noses with flashing screens.  :D)

Yeah, I get the point... madness and all. Nonetheless, I think it would be ok only if it were used as a small effect, something that lasted for half a second, but in that specific case it was a text screen, so I had to force myself to filter the changing colors to read.

About the mechanic: it's very cool. On the other hand, walking off ledges that have spikes is a bit annoying and the random dying is frustrating. That, plus some of the insane jumps and the length of the levels, makes me want to throw my keyboard out of the window at times.  Evil

Ok, suggestion time: the most fun I've had in your game was when I was rotating the screen like a mad man (I think that really suits the crazy mathematician theme, too). That happened, i.e., when there weren't so many spikes and the puzzle was more about navigating a lot of small platforms in a more-or-less clear path.

I think an added emphasis on trying to move as fast as possible toward the end (instead of jumping/avoiding spikes) would really make the game more fun. I'd try to make something like... no spikes at all, an abyss you can fall into if you take a wrong turn and a maze you have to go through, on a timer.

Like a rubik cube, only YOU are inside. Or something.   Screamy

Anyway, it was fun. Good job.  Beer!

EDIT: Trying to fix my engrish.  Embarrassed
« Last Edit: May 15, 2009, 05:31:58 PM by Kamos » Logged
SelfTitled
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2009, 06:36:35 AM »

I tried to play it but it was really laggy, the controls wouldn't respond and the sound kept cutting off. Sad I wanted to play it too, as the concept sounds fun reminds me of yet it moves. As has been said already graphics need work

PlayMeTape
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2009, 09:18:04 AM »

Hey PlayMeTape,

I had some mixed feelings about your game. First, let me say I thought the music was really good. The graphics, though, were... "Epileptic" - especially a screen that flashes white-black-white-black-white-black-aaaaaah! at 100.000.000Hz.

(Fortunately, it seems I'm not one of those guys that starts bleeding through their noses with flashing screens.  :D)

Yeah, I get the point... madness and all. Nonetheless, I think it would be ok only if it were used as a small effect, something that lasted for half a second, but in that specific case it was a text screen, so I had to force myself to filter the changing colors to read.

About the mechanic: it's very cool. On the other hand, walking off ledges that have spikes is a bit annoying and the random dying is frustrating. That, plus some of the insane jumps and the length of the levels, makes me want to throw my keyboard out of the window at times.  Evil

Ok, suggestion time: the most fun I've had in your game was when I was rotating the screen like a mad man (I think that really suits the crazy mathematician theme, too). That happened, i.e., when there weren't so many spikes and the puzzle was more about navigating a lot of small platforms in a more-or-less clear path.

I think an added emphasis on trying to move as fast as possible toward the end (instead of jumping/avoiding spikes) would really make the game more fun. I'd try to make something like... no spikes at all, an abyss you can fall into if you take a wrong turn and a maze you have to go through, on a timer.

Like a rubik cube, only YOU are inside. Or something.   Screamy

Anyway, it was fun. Good job.  Beer!

EDIT: Trying to fix my engrish.  Embarrassed

Wow, thank you for taking the time to write all of that. There's some great points in there. I've just begun working on a new version now and one thing I'm going to implement is the fast turning/rotating as you suggested. What's fun about that is that when I mailed it to Cactus and asked for a few pointers he said the exact same thing, that the game was at it's best when played very fast.

About the textscreens, I realize that the one you wrote about can be a bit of an eyesore. Those screens were mostly just me trying to throw together some pretty quick small "thoughts" that pop up inbetween levels. I might change that one now that you pointed out how annoying it was haha.

I tried to play it but it was really laggy, the controls wouldn't respond and the sound kept cutting off. Sad I wanted to play it too, as the concept sounds fun reminds me of yet it moves. As has been said already graphics need work

Yeah, it seems like I might have to give up the particle effect (the one that streams out of his head) for something different. I am looking into that for my next version. Thanks for trying though Smiley!
Noyb
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2009, 05:09:48 PM »

Fun!

The "inversion" in the last level was very effective.

You explored the concept well without getting into overly finicky timing or placement.

Walking of ledges with spikes is annoying.

It seems like half of the game is waiting for the screen rotation to catch up with the gravity.

pgil
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2009, 05:29:45 PM »

I had the same problem. The controls didn't respond most of the time.

It looks like an interesting game, though. And I really like the music that I heard.
BMcC
Senior Editor, Hero,
Level 10

Bee Mixsy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2009, 05:39:51 PM »

Put the URL of the image within img tags.  Like this:
Code:
[img]http://www.site.com/image.gif[/img]

Curseman
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2009, 03:47:45 AM »

I could've sworn that I left a feedback comment here, but I don't see it now.

Well anyway, by far the biggest problem I remember having was the unresponsive controls.  Sometimes the character wouldn't move when I wanted him to, and sometimes he wouldn't stop moving when I let go of the key.
PlayMeTape
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2009, 07:44:21 AM »

I could've sworn that I left a feedback comment here, but I don't see it now.

Well anyway, by far the biggest problem I remember having was the unresponsive controls.  Sometimes the character wouldn't move when I wanted him to, and sometimes he wouldn't stop moving when I let go of the key.

Okay, but that's probably not a problem with the controls but rather the slowdown that some people seem to experience. I will probably alltogether cut the particle effects from the game in the upcoming version. Thanks for telling me Smiley!
Put the URL of the image within img tags.  Like this:
Code:
[img]http://www.site.com/image.gif[/img]

That's odd, it won't work for me... Do you know if it can display .bmp images, because otherwise I'm thoroughly confused Tongue.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2009, 07:48:40 AM by PlayMeTape » Logged
Dr. Sleep
Level 0

Trust Me. I'm a Doctor.

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2009, 04:35:02 AM »

I did -not- have any of the control problems/lag that people have been talking about. It might just be raw horsepower, tho. Crysis hangs tough at 35fps on this machine, even when there's a bunch of stuff blowing up.

Loved the game. Quirky, off-kilter. When I first looked at the control setup I thought it was really gonna suck, and I was pleased that I was completely wrong. Took me a second to get the hang of it, even after reading the keymappings, but that's understandable considering the weird nature of the game.

Was -not- a big fan of getting poked by spikes on the edges of blocks. Much of navigating in this game is getting a peek over to the edge of the screen to avoid having to make a speculative leap, and getting killed by a spike that's not even pointing at you kinda sucks.

Also, loose the flashing segues between levels, or at least add a counter to the intro screen that tells you how many people have swallowed their tongues because this game gave them a seizure. You said that you were trying to acheive the feel of random thoughts popping into your hero's head? You seem like a pretty competent programmer. Maybe there's something you can do with surfaces to make it look like you're zooming into the mathematician's head after he finds the level's exit? Then you display the text, then you zoom back out and he's in the new level.

Anys, really nice work. Keep it up.

JustinGameDesign
Level 1

Sprite artist and indie game dev.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2009, 06:52:27 PM »

My machine cannot handle your particles, so massive slowdown, but the concept is still solid! Wink  If I could have moved and rotated at a better speed it would have been great.  As is it's still worth trying out.

I guess my only other request would be that you put halfway points into the longer levels or else work on your level design some.  I had to give up after being forced to (very, very slowly repeat one level about 20 times in a row. Cry  Also, I'm glad you put in the auto-save feature, but you might want to flash a "saving" message--some people won't realize they can take a break a come back later.

I liked the color scheme, and the blocky hero.  It took me a while to figure out that the spikes were spikes though.  I could not understand what was killing me.  The fall?  But I got it eventually and other people may not be as dense as myself.

I also liked the idea of oddball quotes between levels, although I'd like to see them presented a little better.  For example the first quote reads "I've been a mathematician all my (words cut off) and it shows." and you can't read the middle bit for a few seconds.  If you were trying to make the player feel disjointed, it works, but to me it came off as just an oversight.  Still a cool idea though!

On the whole a great project with only a few notable points to work on!  Hope to see more from you soon!   Wink

PlayMeTape
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2009, 06:20:13 AM »

Thanks for all the great advice, I'll take them all into consideration and it's great to know all the game's biggest weaknesses. Keep 'em coming if you come up with anything else as I've started working on the next version.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic