Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411599 Posts in 69387 Topics- by 58445 Members - Latest Member: gravitygat

May 08, 2024, 09:35:19 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArt (Moderator: JWK5)Should I buy a tablet?
Poll
Question: I'm getting a tablet, which should I get?
5x3" Bamboo for $100
8x6" Bamboo for $200
Intuos for $250
Other
Cactus

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Should I buy a tablet?  (Read 4746 times)
Pineapple
Level 10

~♪

View Profile WWW
« on: February 16, 2011, 02:10:05 PM »

« Last Edit: June 27, 2021, 06:57:19 AM by Pineapple » Logged
Landshark RAWR
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2011, 02:11:39 PM »

I got a wacom bamboo for $100 and I am pretty satisfied with it

Hangedman
Level 10

Two milkmen go comedy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2011, 02:16:24 PM »

Yes. Cheap or fancy. Start cheap and upgrade is usually best.

Bamboo Pen.
Not Pen&Touch, because it can have weird hardware screwups that lead it to be a giant useless touchpad.

AUST
ITIAMOSIWE (Play it on NG!) - Vision
There but for the grace of unfathomably complex math go I
ink.inc
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2011, 02:50:13 PM »

I got a wacom bamboo for $100 and I am pretty satisfied with it

I got mine for 65 usd at Fry's.  Shrug
Landshark RAWR
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2011, 03:28:57 PM »

ok i looked it up and it was 87.99 at future shop

Nate Kling
Pixelhead
Level 9

Caliber9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2011, 05:51:08 PM »

Yeah Bamboo is a great tablet. Go for it. Do not get anything other than Wacom.  Unfortunately wacom has a total monopoly on the tablet industry, but fortunately their products are really good.

:^)
Level 10

wat a hell

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2011, 06:33:32 PM »

I have one of those older design bamboo tablets, before Wacom came out with the Pen&Touch.

Totally the bomb.  Well, hello there!

Small. Simple. If you have Windows/Mac it works pretty swell. It lags a bit on my Linux running pc though.

But, still totally the bomb.  Well, hello there!
« Last Edit: February 16, 2011, 06:39:24 PM by Heinz » Logged
Sakar
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2011, 06:56:54 PM »

Yeah, definitely get a Wacom tablet. Bamboo's are cheap.

Also offtopic, but I voted the third option because it happens to be my favorite plant Smiley
BlueSweatshirt
Level 10

the void

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2011, 09:56:15 PM »

I have an old school Bamboo as well.

The USB cable wears down easily, from what I've seen. Be careful winding that thing!!  WTF

Helmeted
Level 0

Death Panelist

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2011, 07:10:30 AM »

I don't want to discourage you, if the price is decent and you've got the cash to spare then go ahead. But my own experience with tablets has been mixed.

I never fully acclimatized to the disconnect between my hand and the lines I drew on the screen. My drawings with the tablet were always clumsy as hell. I didn't have the control I was used to, it was almost like drawing with my off hand or after falling to the floor drunk (If I can still stand, I draw pretty good).

Eventually, I got a baby Cintiq, which has totally changed my life.

:^)
Level 10

wat a hell

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2011, 09:39:57 AM »

Oh heck yeah. If you can afford a Cintiq, get that.
Konidias
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2011, 10:11:48 AM »

I don't want to discourage you, if the price is decent and you've got the cash to spare then go ahead. But my own experience with tablets has been mixed.

I never fully acclimatized to the disconnect between my hand and the lines I drew on the screen. My drawings with the tablet were always clumsy as hell. I didn't have the control I was used to, it was almost like drawing with my off hand or after falling to the floor drunk (If I can still stand, I draw pretty good).

Eventually, I got a baby Cintiq, which has totally changed my life.
Story of my life. I bought a wacom tablet way back in the day and I just assumed I'd be able to sketch with it like I do using pencil and paper. The disconnect was just too much and I still don't use tablets to this day. I'd much rather draw directly on the screen. I'll have to consider getting a Cintiq one of these days... maybe if there is a price drop or a special or something... It's not something I *need* but it would be nice to have around.

mankoon
Level 4

And that is how you get to Llama School.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2011, 10:12:26 AM »

The jump from no tablet to tablet is HUGE. It really is a life changer. However, when I made the jump from tablet to cintiq it wasn't as big of a deal. I have the 20 inch model so I can only speak for that one. The nice benefit from a hand held tablet is you can maneuverer through interface with only a wrist movement. On a 20" cintiq, it's a large arm movement... Yawn

One other thing to note about cintiqs is that they attract cats because they generate so much heat. Sort of like the way bowls attract cats...

PowRTocH
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2011, 10:20:45 AM »

Bamboos are a bit annoying because they don't have buttons. At least I find that a bit annoying, because I'm used to my other super old Wacom which I could undo and redo with simple clicks. It's a nice thing to have.
JoGribbs
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2011, 10:21:42 AM »

I have a Bamboo which is great but unfortunately I cannot draw. I maybe should have thought about it longer or I should practice my artings more, but I don't like doing either of those things.
Jad
Level 8

Bomb Boy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2011, 02:59:42 PM »

I have an intuos medium size and it is the best thing. It just is the best thing.

Buy a tablet.
Konidias
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2011, 03:24:41 PM »

Update: Coincidentally, my work was having an IT Tech day today and had the largest version of the Cintiq set up to try out. So I got to play with it and I'm really loving it. I don't think I'd need the biggest size (I think it runs $2k). I'd be happy with a notebook sized Cintiq. Definitely on my wish list though, if I have some spare cash floating around.

I don't think anything beats actually drawing directly on to the screen. But I guess if you're on a budget, a tablet would be okay. Just not for everyone.

ink.inc
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2011, 04:38:27 PM »

I don't think anything beats actually drawing directly on to the screen. But I guess if you're on a budget, a tablet would be okay. Just not for everyone.

For some reason I was under the impression that a tablet was a touchscreen. What should I get if I do want to be able to draw directly onto the screen?

Also, my budget is fairly expansive. However, I would definitely be hesitant to buy if the device costs more than $150.

The cheaper Wacom Tablets are not touchscreens. They are merely input devices, like a mouse. There's no screen on em. You draw while looking at the monitor. There's a bit of a disconnect first, but you get used to it pretty quick.

If you want to draw directly on a screen, those are a bit more pricey.

The Wacom Bamboo (roughly 70 USD)

The Wacom Cintiq (1000 USD+, depending on size)

As others have said, buy Wacom only. All other brands, however few there may be, are crap in comparison.
ink.inc
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2011, 05:10:12 PM »

Yep.
emacs
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2011, 06:51:42 AM »

If I had the money, I'd get a Cintiq.  Right now I'm using a medium Intuos4 and carry a last year's model Bamboo around with me for my laptop.

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic