Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411637 Posts in 69394 Topics- by 58449 Members - Latest Member: pp_mech

May 14, 2024, 05:47:11 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperBusinessDealing with unbiased critics?
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Dealing with unbiased critics?  (Read 4462 times)
feminazi
« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2013, 12:48:34 AM »

lol
Muz
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2013, 02:35:51 AM »

I release games and publish regular devlogs under a completely different alias just to avoid the malice and endless drama that can follow you around when you deal with indie devs. By doing this, you eliminate the chance that anyone who's got a grudge against your posting alias to shit all over your game.

Yeah, tbh, I find this the sanest reaction. People still bear grudges on my current alias based on what I said in IRC 10 years ago. If I release something, they swarm all over it and attack it. Neutral minds tend to lean towards slander; just two people ganging up on you can turn a whole group of unbiased people against you. You'll be forced on the defensive, you'll stumble over your words, and more people will keep pummeling you.

People will defend against unfair criticism. Be silent and people will defend you. Talk back too much and people will defend your critics. You will eventually come across the passive-agressive warrior who is a master of drawing you into attacking them.

If you must reply, make sure what you say is absolutely airtight. Never say "I disagree". By default, whatever you say to a critic is a poor response, unless you can point out clearly where they are wrong. And when you do respond, do so in a friendly manner. Anything that resembles a counter-attack will unleash more attacks upon yourself.

The public persona is also a work of art, similar to the game itself. Pen names are common in the writing industry. A 'public face' is common in the music and film industries for good reason. A strong public face prevents people from pressing their biases and expectations onto your image.

A suitable public image complements the game, stretches the cloak of immersion. It allows you to get 'into character'. It creates a stronger brand. It'll allow you to exaggerate parts of your personality that fit into the game's feel. It gives you a mask which dampens your natural shyness in interviews and such.

Most of all, it allows you to comfortably view all criticism from a third person perspective. Never take criticism personally. If it's an attack or worthless praise/insults, throw it away. If it's harshly worded but true, throw it onto your 'fixes' list. Think of critics not as haters, but as bug reports.
Fallsburg
Level 10

Fear the CircleCat

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2013, 08:07:17 AM »

In this thread, people are delusional enough to think that a negative reaction to them on forums is going to negatively affect their sales figures. 
feminazi
« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2013, 10:37:43 AM »

or instead of going through all that trouble you apologize LOL
Muz
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2013, 03:23:10 PM »

In this thread, people are delusional enough to think that a negative reaction to them on forums is going to negatively affect their sales figures. 

seen it happen before.

One of those times created a shitstorm on tigsource front page between 3-4 people who played a lot of politics on another forum.

One of those times involved a friend who was pretending to be an asian schoolgirl and then decided to come clean and use a male persona. Because they shared the same engine, people remembered them and thought the man persona was stealing the schoolgirl's engines. The girl had rather crappy games but got good reviews. He's back to being a college girl now, with an active facebook page and convincing fake pictures, and uses the persona to actively farm tips on graphic design.

One of those times involved a very active, honest reviewer.. probably one of my favorite indie reviewers. He gave a mediocre review (about 4 out of 5 stars) to someone. That someone took it personally. The reviewer was stalked and harassed on several sites, his credibility being hacked away by passive-aggressive warriors until he finally quit.

The last time I released something, people who didn't like me from another forum like 3 years before that decided to shoot it down. Attackers often bring fairly valid concerns (your engine has memory leaks and requests too many permissions, are you fucking incompetent?). People normally won't find some of those things to be an issue, but when worded appropriately, they run away.

Also things like these get amplified when you're on mobile, especially where memory leaks do matter and press is everything.
ANtY
Level 10

i accidentally did that on purpose

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: January 29, 2013, 04:25:36 PM »

on mobile they just type "virus" in ur app's comments lol

VDZ
Level 4

My post is there read that instead ->

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: January 29, 2013, 04:57:38 PM »

a mediocre review (about 4 out of 5 stars)
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: January 29, 2013, 05:31:26 PM »

does anyone have a link to the topic starter's site? i missed it and am curious (he deleted his account and with it the link to his site apparently)

feminazi
« Reply #28 on: January 29, 2013, 06:06:38 PM »

seen it happen before.

One of those times created a shitstorm on tigsource front page between 3-4 people who played a lot of politics on another forum.

One of those times involved a friend who was pretending to be an asian schoolgirl and then decided to come clean and use a male persona. Because they shared the same engine, people remembered them and thought the man persona was stealing the schoolgirl's engines. The girl had rather crappy games but got good reviews. He's back to being a college girl now, with an active facebook page and convincing fake pictures, and uses the persona to actively farm tips on graphic design.

One of those times involved a very active, honest reviewer.. probably one of my favorite indie reviewers. He gave a mediocre review (about 4 out of 5 stars) to someone. That someone took it personally. The reviewer was stalked and harassed on several sites, his credibility being hacked away by passive-aggressive warriors until he finally quit.

The last time I released something, people who didn't like me from another forum like 3 years before that decided to shoot it down. Attackers often bring fairly valid concerns (your engine has memory leaks and requests too many permissions, are you fucking incompetent?). People normally won't find some of those things to be an issue, but when worded appropriately, they run away.

Also things like these get amplified when you're on mobile, especially where memory leaks do matter and press is everything.

if you want a perception revieiw all of this sounds liek ur talking about urself and now i dont trust anything you say!!! beter make a new persona!
Zaphos
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: January 29, 2013, 06:13:20 PM »

does anyone have a link to the topic starter's site? i missed it and am curious (he deleted his account and with it the link to his site apparently)
adhgarra.com

How to Be a Tree | Voro | Realistic Kissing Simulator | twitter | Programmer at Epic Games
zalzane
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 29, 2013, 06:17:52 PM »

adhgarra.com

oh my god i cant stop laughing

I can't tell what's worse; trying to use images like this as sex appeal, or forwarding every single link on the site through an ad-landing page.
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: January 29, 2013, 06:31:42 PM »

thanks -- the site looks a bit bad

also the games on his youtube channel are among the worst i've ever seen (and i've seen a lot of bad indie games in my time); they rip graphics left and right and use them very poorly: http://www.youtube.com/user/adhgarra/videos?view=0

basically i think he needs to reexamine the idea that he has detractors that hound him and are out to get him, because i never heard of this guy before and i still think his site and games look really bad

ANtY
Level 10

i accidentally did that on purpose

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: January 29, 2013, 06:43:39 PM »

adhgarra.com

chicks dig adgharra

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: January 29, 2013, 07:00:56 PM »

Klaim
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: January 30, 2013, 04:59:34 AM »

You just killed my eyes.

Oskuro
Level 3

Coding in Style

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: January 30, 2013, 06:37:06 AM »

To me, this guys feels like someone who is into making games not for the sake of making them, but for the social reward (popularity, attention, fame, etc...).

His content is mostly an ego trip about how awesome he is, and it wouldn't surprise me that he'd eventually drop the whole indie game making angle for something else he perceives will give him what he craves faster (Or when the current indie dev's are cool fad washes over).

Then again, this is based on a superficial look at his content and attitude, maybe there is hope for this one. Deep down.

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 23, 2013, 03:19:36 AM »

codergames 2: electric boogaloo
iosoftware
Level 0

Old-school gaming lives on

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: February 23, 2013, 08:00:28 AM »

As a developer of a fairly popular strategy for iOS, I can tell you that no matter how good you make it, there will always be negative feedback. Some will say your gfx sucks, your game is boring, no solid concept, dumb, and the author is gay.

Let it be.  Blink  Blink

On the other hand, no matter how bad your product is - someone will still buy it. And some will even like it.
Ant
« Reply #38 on: February 23, 2013, 08:07:19 AM »

On the other hand, no matter how bad your product is - someone will still buy it. And some will even like it.

pls nobody make gams on this basis
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic