Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411670 Posts in 69397 Topics- by 58452 Members - Latest Member: homina

May 16, 2024, 03:56:34 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingintervalo (ld48)
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: intervalo (ld48)  (Read 1242 times)
Manuel Magalhães
Forum Dungeon Master
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« on: December 15, 2013, 05:05:45 PM »

http://www.stencyl.com/game/play/23153
http://www.ludumdare.com/compo/ludum-dare-28/?action=preview&uid=2490

intervalo is a game where you move your character in a sole period of time. after that, the character will move with the timing of your presses.

controls:
-enter to set direction/change texture
-r to reset
(you can change volume with '/+, although i don't know if flixel hotkeys change depending on the keyboard scheme)

Manuel Magalhães
Forum Dungeon Master
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2013, 03:42:25 PM »

Just wrote a postmortem on what worked and on what didn't in my game. http://www.ludumdare.com/compo/2013/12/21/intervalo-postmortem/

pglinker
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2013, 06:10:17 PM »

Nice work.  Surprisingly engaging, given the simplicity of the mechanic (once I realized how it worked).
pladmi
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2013, 05:29:25 AM »

I got a negative impression, actually. I just didn't like the challenge of predicting the movement of the triangle and trying to time it right.

Lets be friends!
PeteHuf
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2013, 06:13:30 PM »

I also didn't have a great time with it. I think my main issue was the combination of the exacting nature of the required input, the lack of immediate feedback of success/fail (the nature of the mechanic, but still) and the long period to retry. I like the idea of setup then execute, but more-so in the context of something like Frozen Synapse.

Biodrome Devlog! Competitive exploration in procedural platformer adventure worlds.
Manuel Magalhães
Forum Dungeon Master
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2014, 09:45:00 AM »

@pglinker Thanks. Smiley

@pladmi & @Ubrasaur Thanks for the feedback, I'm sorry to hear you didn't like it. If I ever do a pos-compo version I'll try to brush the annoyances. The game will still be delay-based, but I'll add some things that will make it more pleasing to play. (like a trajectory line,  maybe a fast forward/skip key, etc.)

---

This is the game's LD rating. I need to improve on some categories for the next compo, but I'm still happy with the #9 place on Innovation. I think this was my best LD entry and I'll hopefully participate on it next time.

KevinNolan
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2014, 04:20:41 PM »

Simple, interesting, original and hard as nails Smiley

I wouldn't call it fun though. I think it's because there's too much room for error so it doesn't feel fair. Possibly if the game worked on a grid or the rotations were in 15 degree increments I'd feel that a mistake was more my fault than an arbitrary imprecision. Same with the time bar on the bottom of the screen - if it went up in segments, timing the colour changes would feel more reliable.

Also, being able to modify the previous attempt rather than redo it from scratch each time would be a good service.

Also consider removing the abstraction and making it work on a real objective that would feel much more satisfying to the player. Eg. it's a linebacker who charges towards a goal - set the direction then his avoidances (duck, dodge, barge etc.)
« Last Edit: January 09, 2014, 04:26:52 PM by KevinNolan » Logged
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic