Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411604 Posts in 69388 Topics- by 58445 Members - Latest Member: gravitygat

May 08, 2024, 02:55:18 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsLeilani's Island
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 67
Print
Author Topic: Leilani's Island  (Read 412589 times)
jsmars
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #400 on: August 10, 2016, 06:26:37 AM »

Thanks Smiley Regarding DKC, the main games I've played are actually Returns and Tropical Freeze. I also had some of the Game Boy ones when I was little. The gameplay of Leilani is more closely related to Wario / Mario games but I like a lot of the feel of how DKC games play, and also the atmosphere that is injected in a lot of levels. It's also a big inspiration for the music too!

I've just queued up DKC3 for download on my 3DS, so I'll play through that! I'm definitely interested in getting inspiration for the overworld, which is something I'm hoping to start working on for Leilani towards the end of this year or early next year, so I'm looking forward to seeing what they do with it. Is there anything you particularly like about the DKC3 overworld?

Sweet, let me know what you think about it. I sure spent a lot of hours in it in my childhood so I'm biased of course. I'm also working on a platformer and going to try to get some of the feel from DKC3 into my game. I agree, the music in most DK games is amazing and I'm glad you are using it as inspiration!

The overworld in DKC3 is a mini metroidvania in itself, where you move freely around the overworld, and as your progress you get a vehicle which allows you to get to new areas, which can be upgraded for even more moveablity and areas. The overworld itself also has secrets unlocks and unlockables which can be discovered.

I guess it might be a bit over the top, depending on what kind of overworld you will be having and if you want to stay to the more classic overworld, but check it out and see what you think.
James Edward Smith
Level 2

Mover & Shaker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #401 on: August 10, 2016, 07:14:27 PM »

This game is great! I've had a yearning to play a cute island themed game ever since I randomly heard the main theme to a childhood favourite of mine, Adventure Island 2. What is it about games set on islands that is so naturally fun and joyful?

Pike `n Shot  the first pshmup ever made. Twitter:@JamesEdSmith
Ishi
Pixelhead
Level 10

coffee&coding

View Profile WWW
« Reply #402 on: August 14, 2016, 07:22:12 AM »

This game is great! I've had a yearning to play a cute island themed game ever since I randomly heard the main theme to a childhood favourite of mine, Adventure Island 2. What is it about games set on islands that is so naturally fun and joyful?

Islands are definitely the best setting for any game. Smiley The first Adventure Island also featured a Princess Leilani!

Rainbow Drops improvements

Time for my weekly update. I have a bit of a mental block on actually designing full levels for this game, so I'm currently working towards a point where I will spend at least a whole month making as much playable content as possible without adding any new features. I think after that I'll be able to get a better feel for how big the scope of the game should be, etc. Before I can get to that point I want to polish off as many of my existing features as possible so that they're actually useful.

I previously added this feature similar to the red/green coins in mario, where collecting all 7 rainbow drops before they disappear gives you some sort of reward. You can see the initial post here.

Here's the new improved version:

The biggest change is that the drops now fall slowly rather than hanging in the air. Previously you had a ~2 second window to collect each drop before it disappeared. In the new version, you have to collect the drop before it hits the floor. I much prefer this kind of physical, logical timer over an arbitrary, invisible timer.

There's a small moving sparkle animation to link each rainbow drop together, which makes it clearer that they're part of the same sequence, and makes it more obvious where to look for the next one.

Finally, the rainbow previously just destroyed all the enemies on the screen. I've now removed that feature as it wasn't very useful, and the rainbow can now dispense powerups or other items. Oh and the animation for the rainbow appearing is a bit better.

The hoop that Leilani jumps through at the start is placeholder - I couldn't decide what to use to trigger the rainbow drop sequence, so I just stole the hoop idea from Mario for the sake of getting something in the game. I will replace it with something else later.

Devlog updates might slow down...

I'm going to be quite busy in my free time over the next 2 months, and then will be away for another month on top of that. I'll post small updates if I have things worth showing but don't worry if I don't! I'll keep working on the game when I can, but regular service will be resumed sometime in October.

Forstride
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #403 on: August 14, 2016, 07:39:43 AM »

The rainbow seems kind of weird when it's just sitting there with no additional animation or effects or anything.  Maybe make the white outline pulse or flash a little bit?  Or maybe just make the whole animation go without stopping in the middle.

Anyway, game is looking amazing as always!

jsmars
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #404 on: August 14, 2016, 11:04:21 PM »

Great move on focusing on content in that way. I've also been in a similar situation where it's difficult to focus on working on levels rather that coding some feature. A method I use now is that some days, I'm not a code, but solely a graphics artist or a level designer, and not allowed to work on anythign else than what I chose for that day. It usually works pretty well.

Would be kind of neat to use the rainbow together with the "myth" or what you want to call it that there is treasure at the end of the rainbow. For example, after collecting all the raindrops, the rainbow appears with a threasure chest at the end, which you have to reach before the raindrop dissapears, or else the treasure will dissapear as well. And to close the loop, the "ring" activator could also fit the rainbow theme, maybe a dark cloud or umbrella?
Storsorgen
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #405 on: August 15, 2016, 02:58:08 AM »

Rainbow looks great , but what they mentioned is probably true, it could use some more juiciness when its on the screen :D
EJlol
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #406 on: August 15, 2016, 03:09:39 AM »

The hoop that Leilani jumps through at the start is placeholder - I couldn't decide what to use to trigger the rainbow drop sequence, so I just stole the hoop idea from Mario for the sake of getting something in the game. I will replace it with something else later.

Do you really need the hoop? In the mario games the hoop is required because there is not an order you have to take the red coins. As soon as you go through the hoop all the red coins appear for a certain time, and you are free to pick up the coins in whatever order you like (though most of these can only be done in only order if you want to make it on time).

In your case you can only take the second drop after you have taken the first drop. In this case letting the first drop float instead of falling should be enough in my opinion.
Basil
Level 0

Starting more projects than I can finish

View Profile WWW
« Reply #407 on: August 15, 2016, 04:01:56 PM »

Tis bootyful!
PetterBergmar
Level 2

Animator by day, gamemaker by night. And fridays.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #408 on: August 17, 2016, 01:18:14 PM »

I wanna taste the rainbow drops! Looks sweet! The clouds in the background appear as if they are vibrating a bit horizontally and that sort of bugs me.. I think it is due to the fact that they are animated in the x axis and parallaxed on top of that. In my humble opinion, if having them being still (just follow the parallax depth) would eliminate the pixel-shaking I would remove the cloud animation.. Just a thought. And your game looks awesome and I want to play it all the time!

Twitter: @pbergmar
Ishi
Pixelhead
Level 10

coffee&coding

View Profile WWW
« Reply #409 on: August 19, 2016, 04:59:28 AM »

Thanks for the feedback! It would be nice to make the rainbow a little more alive, maybe it just needs some sparkles. I'd also like to make a bigger deal of the powerup/reward being spawned out of it so you get some warning before it happens, which would also help.

The clouds in the background appear as if they are vibrating a bit horizontally and that sort of bugs me.. I think it is due to the fact that they are animated in the x axis and parallaxed on top of that. In my humble opinion, if having them being still (just follow the parallax depth) would eliminate the pixel-shaking I would remove the cloud animation.. Just a thought. And your game looks awesome and I want to play it all the time!

The clouds are on the furthest layer so they don't have any parallax with the camera movement, they just scroll at a fixed rate. They look jittery because they move really slowly, and the fact that both layers of clouds move at different speeds makes it worse. It bugs me too so it's something I'll get around to fixing at some point! (Seems Owlboy had the same issue)

MekaSkull
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #410 on: August 19, 2016, 10:54:58 AM »

You can mask the cloud jitter if they jitter at a constant rate. You can achieve this by giving them a 3 frame animation. Nothing fancy, just redraw the clouds a few times, but be a bit inconsistent to create a noise in the shapes. Think of Yoshi's island.

So to make the jitter less noticable, make them jitter more  WTF

Twitter @MekaSkull
Cyber Shadow Devlog
indieDB
Winter
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #411 on: September 01, 2016, 05:22:56 AM »

I'm developing it in C++ on PC, using SDL 2.0 and OpenGL 2.1.
Shocked
Why are you using SDL 2 and OpenGL 2.1 ??

SDL 2 provides hardware-accelerated (2D-)rendering and OpenGL is just old as the hills and deprecated.
For me it feels like you'd buy a sports-car and build in an old 3-cylinder engine.
sjdswanlund
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #412 on: September 02, 2016, 04:09:09 PM »

I was curious about a few things.

In earlier posts you talked about the Fire and Water powerups, and how they would work, especially in how they would be opposites in terms of defense and offense, etc.  Seeing that the Bubble would be used for defensive and traversal purposes, it reminded me of some Castlevania games I've played.  In one of them, attacking enemies with an ice-based element will freeze them into blocks of ice, which you can jump on to get to higher, secret areas.  This made me think that, you could also use the Bubble ability on the enemies, to make them float, so you could jump onto them and bounce to higher places, or simply use the ice-block feature I mentioned.

As for the fire ability, you talked about it being able to take down higher level enemies you wouldn't be able to under normal circumstances.  I thought it might be interesting if, between your starting and ending points of the roll, fire is left burning on the ground, which would take a while to disappear, and enemies that were on it, or moved to it, would be damaged over time. 

Also, in one of the earliest updates you had made, you said you didn't know exactly what would change between the size of enemies, from small to large.  I thought it would be interesting if certain enemies that were too big for you, or perhaps covered in spikes, could only be damaged by smaller enemies you rolled into so they rolled into them.  This could really come into play during boss sequences, if there are bosses.  One boss might be so large it's immune to Leilani, but not from spiked minions that it continually summons forth, which need to roll into it.

Lastly, I wanted to say I really like how you are handling the machines at the end of the level.  You said that by destroying them completely, you might get a certain bonus, but you didn't know what that would be.  I'm not sure if you know this, but in Super Mario World 3D, if you get to the top of the flag, it turns yellow.  After that, it will show as being yellow on the world map.  Getting all of them like that is necessary to get to a bonus challenge level at the end of the game.  I thought it would be interesting if, in Leilani's Island, destroying all the machines in a zone completely would disable a barrier to a secret level in that zone, or something similar.

I was wondering what you thought of these suggestions, or if you already were thinking of similar things to implement into the game.  Either way, I'm looking forward to playing.
PypeBros
Level 0

Simplest, but not Simpler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #413 on: September 18, 2016, 11:28:14 AM »

Rainbow Drops improvements

Time for my weekly update. I have a bit of a mental block on actually designing full levels for this game, so I'm currently working towards a point where I will spend at least a whole month making as much playable content as possible without adding any new features. I think after that I'll be able to get a better feel for how big the scope of the game should be, etc. Before I can get to that point I want to polish off as many of my existing features as possible so that they're actually useful.
Nice idea to move the drops to limit the amount of time player has to collect them. I noted something similar in Rayman Origins with bubbles holding items that are taken up to the skies ... that is more demanding to the player as coming a bit late requires increased platforming skills to grab it. Yours is more player-friendly, as far as I can tell.

Ashedragon
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #414 on: September 25, 2016, 03:50:45 PM »

This is so sexy it hurts. I always forget to actually post something here, haha.

AnaGuillenFdez
Level 0

Artist, interested in design too

View Profile WWW
« Reply #415 on: September 28, 2016, 01:44:12 PM »

It reminds me to GBA platformers.
At this moment, what I like the most is the artistic style, which is cute, colourful, sweet and really, really polished. Level design looks nice too, from the last Fire devlog you posted I specially liked the bomb object, I think it can lead to many interesting ways of using it.
All the devlogs you posted are quite interesting to read. I am thrilled to see more!

Afterglow 20.51: emotional synchronization on a paper train
@FdezGuillen - @NuggetTeamDev
AlexVsCoding
Level 7

Enthusiasm at dangerous levels.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #416 on: October 11, 2016, 03:40:31 AM »

Hey!

Found out from a developer meetup in Cambridge that you're local! (Can't remember who, I think Tom Kail mentioned it?) The game is absolutely gorgeous. Me and my partner have started running game jams in the local area, it'd be awesome for you to come along!

Photon
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #417 on: October 26, 2016, 06:13:30 AM »

This is really slick-looking. I really like how you've put your own spin on the Mario platformer formula with your own clever mechanics.

I've sort of skimmed the devlog and noticed a couple conversations about how to utilize shells now that your game doesn't have a life system. I have a couple suggestions to make that I don't recall seeing made.

One thing you could do is have an end-of-level mini-game a la Super Mario Land 2. In that game, if you could ring the end goal bell, you would get to play a mini-game where you could acquire one of the game's powerups. Instead of an end-game bell in your game, you could make there be a target shell count you need by the end to play it. These games also worked with a limited prize pool, so similar style mini-games could fit into the current scope of what you have. This does mean, however, you might have to work a little harder to balance the shell count in each level.

If you wanted even more flexibility with shells, you could also implement something similar to Super Mario World. Instead of playing a mini-game at the end of a level, Super Mario World tallied bonus points (that were acquired by hitting the end-level tape.) Once you pass a bonus point/shell threshold, the player is whisked to the special end-level mini-game to earn some spoils.

At any rate, hope you figure it out! Keep this up, because it looks fantastic.
Ishi
Pixelhead
Level 10

coffee&coding

View Profile WWW
« Reply #418 on: October 29, 2016, 01:47:12 AM »

Hello all, I'm back from my break! Prepare for a massive reply session, sorry some of these are very late replies:

You can mask the cloud jitter if they jitter at a constant rate. You can achieve this by giving them a 3 frame animation. Nothing fancy, just redraw the clouds a few times, but be a bit inconsistent to create a noise in the shapes. Think of Yoshi's island.

So to make the jitter less noticable, make them jitter more  WTF

Yeah that could work, it might give them a bit more life too. I would have to be careful not to create too much extra work for myself in terms of adding animations to all the other backgrounds in the game, as it's important that they feel consistent! For now I've been able to reduce the jitter by speeding the clouds up a little and making sure their subpixel movement is matched up better.

I'm developing it in C++ on PC, using SDL 2.0 and OpenGL 2.1.
Shocked
Why are you using SDL 2 and OpenGL 2.1 ??

SDL 2 provides hardware-accelerated (2D-)rendering and OpenGL is just old as the hills and deprecated.
For me it feels like you'd buy a sports-car and build in an old 3-cylinder engine.

I'm using the tools I'm using because I have existing code to work from, I have experience using them, so they're a safe bet. I like how SDL handles input and some other stuff, but I've never used the graphics side of it so I don't want to learn that now. Please don't place too much importance on the technology game devs choose to use, it's a pretty personal thing to them and it doesn't affect the players in most cases.

I was curious about a few things.

In earlier posts you talked about the Fire and Water powerups, and how they would work, especially in how they would be opposites in terms of defense and offense, etc.  Seeing that the Bubble would be used for defensive and traversal purposes, it reminded me of some Castlevania games I've played.  In one of them, attacking enemies with an ice-based element will freeze them into blocks of ice, which you can jump on to get to higher, secret areas.  This made me think that, you could also use the Bubble ability on the enemies, to make them float, so you could jump onto them and bounce to higher places, or simply use the ice-block feature I mentioned.

I have considered this kind of putting-enemies-in-bubbles ability, it's interesting. The enemy interactions can be fairly complex already so I'm not sure if it's necessary to add this.

As for the fire ability, you talked about it being able to take down higher level enemies you wouldn't be able to under normal circumstances.  I thought it might be interesting if, between your starting and ending points of the roll, fire is left burning on the ground, which would take a while to disappear, and enemies that were on it, or moved to it, would be damaged over time. 

That feels more like a Kirby-ish attack - in the Kirby games the enemies have a proper health system so you can do things like attacks that damage them over time. In Leilani I'm going more for a Mario-style feeling where the enemy is either alive or dead. You should be able to tell the state of the enemy by looking at it so there's no hidden health bars etc.

Also, in one of the earliest updates you had made, you said you didn't know exactly what would change between the size of enemies, from small to large.  I thought it would be interesting if certain enemies that were too big for you, or perhaps covered in spikes, could only be damaged by smaller enemies you rolled into so they rolled into them.  This could really come into play during boss sequences, if there are bosses.  One boss might be so large it's immune to Leilani, but not from spiked minions that it continually summons forth, which need to roll into it.

This is really nice Smiley using smaller enemies / objects as weapons to attack larger enemies will definitely be something I do!

Lastly, I wanted to say I really like how you are handling the machines at the end of the level.  You said that by destroying them completely, you might get a certain bonus, but you didn't know what that would be.  I'm not sure if you know this, but in Super Mario World 3D, if you get to the top of the flag, it turns yellow.  After that, it will show as being yellow on the world map.  Getting all of them like that is necessary to get to a bonus challenge level at the end of the game.  I thought it would be interesting if, in Leilani's Island, destroying all the machines in a zone completely would disable a barrier to a secret level in that zone, or something similar.

Yep something like this could be good, not sure on the exact details! I did enjoy getting the golden flags in 3D World / 3D Land. In some ways I'm not so keen on the idea of making the player replay a level just to get the golden flag, but that does help to add a lot of tension when you're jumping towards the goal pole - you really want to hit the top of the pole so you don't have to come back to the level later!

I was wondering what you thought of these suggestions, or if you already were thinking of similar things to implement into the game.  Either way, I'm looking forward to playing.

Thanks for the suggestions, much appreciated Smiley

Nice idea to move the drops to limit the amount of time player has to collect them. I noted something similar in Rayman Origins with bubbles holding items that are taken up to the skies ... that is more demanding to the player as coming a bit late requires increased platforming skills to grab it. Yours is more player-friendly, as far as I can tell.

Yeah that's a very good point, the falling drops get easier to grab as they drop down, but if they floated upwards they would require more skill to get. Worth thinking about...

Hey!

Found out from a developer meetup in Cambridge that you're local! (Can't remember who, I think Tom Kail mentioned it?) The game is absolutely gorgeous. Me and my partner have started running game jams in the local area, it'd be awesome for you to come along!

Hiya! Always good to hear from other local devs Smiley I go to CB2 Indies every week, if that's of interest to you. Now following you on twitter!

This is really slick-looking. I really like how you've put your own spin on the Mario platformer formula with your own clever mechanics.

I've sort of skimmed the devlog and noticed a couple conversations about how to utilize shells now that your game doesn't have a life system. I have a couple suggestions to make that I don't recall seeing made.

One thing you could do is have an end-of-level mini-game a la Super Mario Land 2. In that game, if you could ring the end goal bell, you would get to play a mini-game where you could acquire one of the game's powerups. Instead of an end-game bell in your game, you could make there be a target shell count you need by the end to play it. These games also worked with a limited prize pool, so similar style mini-games could fit into the current scope of what you have. This does mean, however, you might have to work a little harder to balance the shell count in each level.

If you wanted even more flexibility with shells, you could also implement something similar to Super Mario World. Instead of playing a mini-game at the end of a level, Super Mario World tallied bonus points (that were acquired by hitting the end-level tape.) Once you pass a bonus point/shell threshold, the player is whisked to the special end-level mini-game to earn some spoils.

At any rate, hope you figure it out! Keep this up, because it looks fantastic.

Thanks for the suggestions! All solid ideas.

Artifice Machine
« Reply #419 on: October 29, 2016, 05:39:43 AM »

WOOO!! YAY!!

Ishi's back!

Coffee
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 67
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic