Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411708 Posts in 69402 Topics- by 58457 Members - Latest Member: FezzikTheGiant

May 20, 2024, 12:34:09 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralFight Thread Pollution! Post here if it's not worth a new thread!!!
Pages: 1 ... 1288 1289 [1290] 1291 1292 ... 1393
Print
Author Topic: Fight Thread Pollution! Post here if it's not worth a new thread!!!  (Read 2334175 times)
Capntastic
Community Friendlord
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25780 on: September 17, 2016, 11:55:09 AM »

I always thought it was funny that Pokemon's ethos was like "just have fun with your monster friends" and the badguys cared about collecting all of them or their fighting power, etc

But in the games there's (especially the first set) no progress markers beyond collecting and training and stuff.
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #25781 on: September 17, 2016, 11:58:25 AM »

pokemans is deep
Manuel Magalhães
Forum Dungeon Master
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25782 on: September 17, 2016, 11:59:35 AM »

pokedeep

Capntastic
Community Friendlord
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25783 on: September 17, 2016, 12:02:13 PM »

I had 138 pokemon on Pokemon Blue that I had attained during Summer vacation and I'd planned via phonecall to trade a bunch of the remaining ones with friends (we both had captured doubles for this purpose) once I got back home.  Then one morning I had 1 pokemon because my cousin overwrote my save with a charmander named "faggot"
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #25784 on: September 17, 2016, 12:20:44 PM »

i have a mew that i got from an official event where they were handed out
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #25785 on: September 17, 2016, 12:37:42 PM »

No progress marker in pokemon?
1 - badges and final elite 4 (which gate the overall progress, give a sense of rpg story progression, give a closure)
2 - pokedex (encourage exploration by looking at the nooks and crannies)
3 - level of pokemon (the optimization game)
4 - HM locks and keys (gate progression of 1 and 2)
Pokemon works because it completely weave all its progression together seemlessly
- all locked areas are mini open world where place are given meaning with clear function (wilderness, town, "dungeon", special)
- pokedex give an incitive to look everywhere and each area limit the number of pokemon to drive discovery in control with only a few pokemon and things at the time
- pokemon level (as in evolution and learning techniques) have some level of management (which technique to learn) which refresh the use of explorable area for collecting (xp, pokemon, variation of build per pokemon)
- HM allow shortcut to be open and increase the openness of the game to facilitate travel in all area with minimal backtracking.

Basically the game grow its complexity organically in way most game really dont (take that no man's sky) by providing meaningful milestone and checkpoint (take that again no man's sky)

JWK5
Level 9

A fool with a tool is an artist.

View Profile
« Reply #25786 on: September 17, 2016, 12:40:58 PM »

Pokemon is a JRPG with a lot of characters. Suikoden did it better. Cool

My Art Tutorials:
 Here

"Today is victory over yourself of yesterday, tomorrow is victory over lesser men." - Miyamoto Musashi
Capntastic
Community Friendlord
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25787 on: September 17, 2016, 12:42:19 PM »

No progress marker in pokemon?
1 - badges and final elite 4 (which gate the overall progress, give a sense of rpg story progression, give a closure)
2 - pokedex (encourage exploration by looking at the nooks and crannies)
3 - level of pokemon (the optimization game)
4 - HM locks and keys (gate progression of 1 and 2)
Pokemon works because it completely weave all its progression together seemlessly
- all locked areas are mini open world where place are given meaning with clear function (wilderness, town, "dungeon", special)
- pokedex give an incitive to look everywhere and each area limit the number of pokemon to drive discovery in control with only a few pokemon and things at the time
- pokemon level (as in evolution and learning techniques) have some level of management (which technique to learn) which refresh the use of explorable area for collecting (xp, pokemon, variation of build per pokemon)
- HM allow shortcut to be open and increase the openness of the game to facilitate travel in all area with minimal backtracking.

Basically the game grow its complexity organically in way most game really dont (take that no man's sky) by providing meaningful milestone and checkpoint (take that again no man's sky)

Yeah you just listed a bunch of gating mechanisms dependent on collecting and stats, which is literally what I described. 
Capntastic
Community Friendlord
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25788 on: September 17, 2016, 12:43:21 PM »

The later games added like dressup contests and cooking (?  I don't really remember) and like minigames and stuff.  Those are better examples
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #25789 on: September 17, 2016, 12:45:35 PM »

so did shin megami tensei  Noir
JWK5
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #25790 on: September 17, 2016, 12:48:14 PM »

so did shin megami tensei  Noir
You shut your face! I spent 3 and a quarter days coming up with that irrelevant and sad attempt at an edgy retort. Give me validation, goddammit! GIVE ME VALIDATIOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONNNN!!! Cry

Also, you are correct.

My Art Tutorials:
 Here

"Today is victory over yourself of yesterday, tomorrow is victory over lesser men." - Miyamoto Musashi
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #25791 on: September 17, 2016, 12:54:42 PM »

but i AM validating you. my reply sharpened the edge in your edgy retort into a diamond razor blade. not even shadow the hedgehog can handle the edge that we created, collaboratively.  Cool Noir
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #25792 on: September 17, 2016, 12:57:30 PM »

[insert nitpicky semantic meltdown about progressions and activities]

JWK5
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #25793 on: September 17, 2016, 12:58:11 PM »

but i AM validating you. my reply sharpened the edge in your edgy retort into a diamond razor blade. not even shadow the hedgehog can handle the edge that we created, collaboratively.  Cool Noir
*sniffle* Oh... right... *sniff* I knew that... I was just testing you or something like that, so yeah...   So are you excited for Persona 5!?!? Grin It looks pretty awesome! Grin

My Art Tutorials:
 Here

Capntastic
Community Friendlord
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25794 on: September 17, 2016, 01:03:05 PM »

When you win Pokemon RBY you're told you did it because you loved your pokemon and they weren't just tools, but the game is entirely about collecting them and using them to battle from a mechanical point of view.  That's not semantics, the stated ethos of the game is fundamentally at odds with how the game is played, which is really funny.
Landshark RAWR
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #25795 on: September 17, 2016, 01:03:46 PM »

i got this bad boy

Manuel Magalhães
Forum Dungeon Master
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25796 on: September 17, 2016, 01:05:12 PM »

hot damn

Capntastic
Community Friendlord
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25797 on: September 17, 2016, 01:06:22 PM »

i got this bad boy

Cuddles is a good raticate
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #25798 on: September 17, 2016, 01:15:20 PM »

When you win Pokemon RBY you're told you did it because you loved your pokemon and they weren't just tools, but the game is entirely about collecting them and using them to battle from a mechanical point of view.  That's not semantics, the stated ethos of the game is fundamentally at odds with how the game is played, which is really funny.

pokemon is a thinly veiled attempt to morally justify dog fighting fyi
Capntastic
Community Friendlord
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25799 on: September 17, 2016, 01:16:33 PM »

Pokemon was supposed to be about collecting bugs and then it became a way to let kids pretend to be warlords
Pages: 1 ... 1288 1289 [1290] 1291 1292 ... 1393
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic