Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411669 Posts in 69397 Topics- by 58452 Members - Latest Member: homina

May 16, 2024, 11:15:11 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralattn: nerds. Lets play POKEMON!
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: attn: nerds. Lets play POKEMON!  (Read 10665 times)
___
Vice President of Marketing, Romeo Pie Software
Level 10

View Profile
« on: July 10, 2008, 08:45:18 AM »

THE POKEMON TCG! (of course!)

HISTORY
The Pokemon TCG hit North America in December of 1998 when Wizards of the Coast began publishing the game.  It started out with the amazing Base Set, where everyone wanted that damn Charizard even though it really sucked in the actual game (but it had the highest HP, HOLY SHIT!)

Yeah, you remember Pokemon cards.  Nobody actually played the game, they just collected all the holofoils, I know I did.  I had one of those little books full of like 150+ holofoils, and yes I was definitely the coolest kid in my school in 7th and 8th grade.  Good times.

Anyway, the game continued on but in July 2003 Wizards of the Coast lost their license to publish the game (I assume the contract expired) and the game was picked up by Nintendo and Pokemon USA Inc, so now the game is actually governed by the heart and soul of Pokemon.  With Wizards out of the picture, Nintendo changed some of the rules of the game around a little bit, and continued to publish the game.

HOW DO I CARE ABOUT PLAYING
Thats SIMPLE!  If you want to see every detail of playing the game, then why not just watch this flash tutorial: HERE, and then you can look up specific rules HERE. But if you dont want to do any of that, I'll give you a quick run down.

You make a deck.  A deck must contain 60 cards, no more and no less.  There are three major types of cards, Pokemon, Energy, and Trainers.  Trainers then split off into Supporters and Stadium cards.  Pokemon are your main concentration, trainer cards should help out your deck, and energy is used to fuel your pokemon in battle.

During your turn, you start by drawing a card.  You can play basic pokemon to your bench, evolve some pokemons, attach 1 energy card (you can attach 1 energy per turn), play some trainer cards, switch your pokemon, use poke-powers, and finally you can attack and attempt to destroy your opponent.

You can win the game by three different ways.  When you start the game, you set aside 6 prize cards after drawing your initial 7 cards.  When you knock out an opponents pokemon, you draw a prize card.  When you draw your final prize card, you win.  Also, if you knock out your opponents pokemon and they cannot bring out another, you win.  And last, if it is your opponent's turn to draw and they have no cards left in their deck, you win again.

WHAT ABOUT ALL THOSE OLD CARDS
Well, they're useless really.  The pokemon game is in "Modified" format so that means only certain sets can be used.  For a list of sets and the updated rules, go HERE.

PLAYING... ONLINE?!
Yes, of course!  Now the point of this post.  Theres a program you can download called LackeyCCG that lets you play online card games.  It's basically this global card game application, and there are plugins for various card games.  There's a pokemon plug in, but right now its kind of outdated but I have the necessary files to update it to the full set if people are actually interested in playing a little bit.  You can download this huge pokemon.rar file here.  This goes in your plugins directory for lackeyCCG, so it should be "plugins/pokemon"  Then its a simple task of setting pokemon to your current plugin, and building a deck.  For more help, see the lackeyccg tutorial.

SO!  If you're interested in playing the pokemon TCG for some sort of nostalgic factor, or even for FUN!  Then get lackeyccg, the pokemon plugin,  and start building that deck.  You can look up every card that's legal to play HERE and then look up some already existing decks on these forums.  Isn't that awesome? (YES)

I have a couple people playing, and I'm always looking for more people to STOMP with that Tyranitar up there.  HOORAH.  Also:

(lol I'm not legal)

battlerager
Level 10

I resent that statement.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2008, 09:28:45 AM »

That sounds awesome  Evil

I also collected those cards, of course.

VENUSAUR  Cool

I will definately download this and check it out, I am kinda out of the loop with the rules changes and stuff, but I used to play that game when there were just 151 pokemans.

Hm, I gotta check how "Magcargo" is. That was one of the few new pokémon I know and like. Smiley
Cheater‽
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2008, 09:37:11 AM »

I have a set of cards I bought around 8 years ago. You know, when there were only 151 pokémon.
___
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2008, 10:26:39 AM »

Get with the times people!  There's almost 500 pokemon now!  I was talking to Bobo about possibly getting some people playing for TIGS Game Nights in the IRC.  POKEMON TOURNAMENT!
Nillo
Level 10

Raunchy Raccoon

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2008, 10:42:37 AM »

Oh man, this brings back so many memories. I would really like to play a game with you guys, but, I've tried these online card game simulators before and was repelled by their weird functions and not-so-friendly user interface. How good is this program?

My finished games: Griddy RPG
My current project: SummonerRL
On hold: Griddy Heroes
Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2008, 11:17:49 AM »

I'll try it all out, and if I like, I'm totally up to slaughtering some pokemanz with my enslaved fighting monsters!

The things we sugar-coat as children. Tongue

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
Lazer
Level 3

:S

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2008, 02:29:21 PM »

YES.

YES YES YES YES.
Xotes
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2008, 03:16:56 PM »

OH HELL YES! Never collected the cards myself, but I always liked card games like these in general. I PROUDLY ACCEPT THE LABEL I FORCE UPON MYSELF!

“I have brought you T, Master. It took quite a lot of searching on your Galaxy’s non-holographic communications network, but no man is beyond the reach of a Sith.”

Meanwhile, poor Mr. T was left to hang upside down in the middle of the room, informing us that we were both fools, to be pitied.
___
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2008, 03:44:22 PM »

Damn, this thread has gotten more replies than I thought.

Well dudes, hop on tigIRC if you ever want to play, I'm always around!  (or message me on AIM mayhaps?  My screen name is in my profile page.)
deku
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2008, 07:33:11 PM »

if your laking scans i colected past the ex seris
my trumps an ex raqraza
which seeing this i think is going on ebay
http://cgi.ebay.com.sg/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=350036606795

invincible with a waited coin
im defently up for some online play
« Last Edit: July 10, 2008, 07:50:50 PM by deku » Logged

procrastination is the best part of game design<br />http://deku1.deviantart.com/
Farbs
Man
Level 10

/Farbs

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2008, 08:23:37 PM »

Bloody hell. Am I the only person of a respectable age making indie games these days? Trading cards hit their peak before either you or your pokeymans were even conceived!

Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2008, 08:49:09 PM »

Can you play with those?

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
Tanner
Level 10

MMPHM *GULP*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2008, 08:53:56 PM »

No, but you can give people fucking welts if you know how to throw cards.

Farbs
Man
Level 10

/Farbs

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2008, 10:09:47 PM »

Can you play with those?
Not directly, no. They were a form of currency accepted by most of the playground organizations.
William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2008, 12:41:34 AM »

How do you get your virtual cards? Hopefully not by buying them for the same price as real cards, like in Magic: The Gathering  Lips Sealed

skaldicpoet9
Level 10

"The length of my life was fated long ago "

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2008, 01:03:58 AM »

I love how simple the game is at it's core but if you want you can come up with these really crazy strategies.

Count me in  Beer!

I can't do it until next weekend though...
« Last Edit: July 11, 2008, 01:28:46 AM by skaldicpoet9 » Logged

\\\\\\\"Fearlessness is better than a faint heart for any man who puts his nose out of doors. The date of my death and length of my life were fated long ago.\\\\\\\"
shinygerbil
Blew Blow (Loved It)
Level 10

GET off your horse

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2008, 01:35:28 AM »

I'd be up for some pokeyshenanigans Gentleman

olücæbelel
battlerager
Level 10

I resent that statement.

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2008, 02:33:54 AM »

HALP

I cant load the plugin Sad

The MtG plugin worked....
___
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2008, 07:34:18 AM »

HALP

I cant load the plugin Sad

The MtG plugin worked....

Download the rar and put it in your plug ins directory so it looks like "plugins/pokemon"

Go to preferences, go to the plugin tab.  Next to Current Plugin, click browse, you should have "war3000" and "pokemon" at least.  Click pokemon, then click the "choose" button.  I think you then have to click "load plugin".  It should then say "3125 cards" under plugin info for pokemon.  You should be all set after that :O
Nillo
Level 10

Raunchy Raccoon

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2008, 10:30:51 AM »

Haha, I made a really simple deck to try it with and got my ass kicked. Grin But now I think I understand how this thing works. I'm gonna make some more interesting decks, and hopefully I can find one of you guys on the irc later.

My finished games: Griddy RPG
My current project: SummonerRL
On hold: Griddy Heroes
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic