Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411572 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58444 Members - Latest Member: darkcitien

May 04, 2024, 09:00:45 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)CreativeThe Progress Accountability Thread: Meet your goals lest we point and laugh
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]
Print
Author Topic: The Progress Accountability Thread: Meet your goals lest we point and laugh  (Read 36377 times)
centerorbit
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #140 on: May 02, 2011, 08:58:06 PM »

Wow... I promise I'm not crazy! I am pretty sure that the server time is either wrong, or maybe in a different frame of time than current world strand. As I click submit it is 11:57 on 5/2/2011 ... Central Time, US

wow.. this server is -4 hours off from my current time.

That will be good to know for future progress goals.

So yes Marty... I win this one!
« Last Edit: May 02, 2011, 09:22:56 PM by centerorbit » Logged
RCIX
« Reply #141 on: May 03, 2011, 03:09:03 PM »

I'd post a goal, if my project todo was in a clear enough state that I knew a semi-far-off task that would actually fit on it ^^ (it's all there i think, just needs to be sorted by completion date)
noah!
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #142 on: May 05, 2011, 02:50:49 PM »

Alright, screw it. I'm gonna finish this game! And YOU'RE gonna help me!

5/31/2011 - Release a playable build of my freaking game.

Bam.
Pikmin259
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #143 on: May 05, 2011, 03:23:03 PM »

Well, HOW am I gonna help you?
centerorbit
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #144 on: May 07, 2011, 04:53:26 PM »

Noah, I WILL hold you accountable now!! And you set quit a large span to accomplish. Must be an epic game! Will you release incremental updates??
noah!
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #145 on: May 08, 2011, 01:49:36 PM »

Well, HOW am I gonna help you?

Noah, I WILL hold you accountable now!! And you set quit a large span to accomplish. Must be an epic game! Will you release incremental updates??

Eh, about that, May 31 is when I want to get the first incremental update out there. No, the final release is probably gonna be months after that. And it probably won't be as epic as you expect; even though it's a large timespan for a lot of indies, I like it because I work abysmally slowly. (I figure that if I set the bar low I'll at least have a chance of making it...)
centerorbit
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #146 on: May 09, 2011, 09:38:04 PM »

Alright, round 3 for me. I haven't done a lot of work on this project in the last week with just solo ambition simply because of good weather. And as I expect good weather to continue somewhat, I am gonna set my goal pretty spanned out too.

Deadline: end of May (on or before the 31st)

Goals:
  • Major focus on aesthetics and general navigation. Make things redirect when need be and provide ample information as far as how the website works.
  • A more custom, self skinned Picture taker.
  • Maybe a few bug fixes along the way.
  • Also considering creating a few bugs to drag back a possible release date a little bit more... <-Still considering this one though Wink
  • More aesthetics
  • Make more pages open to the public, as so people can get the point about what goes on within the site, without having to actually sign up first... In this way I hope to provide the explanation up front better, and gain user trust so they know what they are getting into which will in turn make them less leery to sign up for an account.

Martoon
Level 0

Derp!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #147 on: May 30, 2011, 01:12:30 PM »

Wow, I am so sorry, guys!  I'm subscribed to this thread, but for some reason I stopped getting email notifications (even though I have it set for that), so I never saw the last couple posts (or the goals that were added).  I've put them in the table now.  At least I got them in there the day before their deadlines, so you're still accountable. Wink

Again, my apologies.  I have no idea why I didn't get the email notifications (they're not in  my spam folder, either).  If anyone posts a goal and doesn't see it in the table within 24 hours, please PM me (hopefully, I will get that email notification).

noah!
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #148 on: May 31, 2011, 03:39:02 PM »

5/31/2011 - Release a playable build of my freaking game.

Bam.
ugriffin
Level 0

Boo.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #149 on: June 11, 2011, 04:23:37 PM »

Release YSWMI, the sequel to you probably won't make it, (link), before July.

If that can be done, I'm awesome.

Articulated
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #150 on: June 12, 2011, 02:14:18 PM »

Love the idea of this thread!  It's just what I need to stop faffing around and get on with stuff.  Ahem...

Goal: To finish my road tileset (112 images, 64x64) and stop fiddling with it!

Deadline:9pm, Sunday 19th June.

____________________________________________________________________________________________

Edit: Oh GOD!  How is it Sunday morning already?!
« Last Edit: June 19, 2011, 12:53:00 AM by Arbitrax » Logged

Need a Voice Actor for your game?  Check out my demo reel on YouTube!

http://www.youtube.com/user/jc5124

I have a blog too!

http://arbitrax.wordpress.com/

Follow @JC5124 on Twitter!
Articulated
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #151 on: June 19, 2011, 11:28:56 AM »

Done!  With 30 mins to spare.  After starting I found it didn't need to be 112 images in total, and I could "Optimize" it down to 48 images  Cool

Et Voila!

And now in delicious Mockup flavour...

« Last Edit: June 19, 2011, 11:49:34 AM by Arbitrax » Logged

I have a blog too!

Articulated
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #152 on: June 19, 2011, 12:47:10 PM »

Apologies for double (triple?) posting, but thought it would be better to start a new post than edit one and risk losing the new goal.

Next Goal: Choose and prototype a palette and style for sidewalks.

Deadline: 9pm, Sunday 26th June.  Weekly deadlines work well!

I have a blog too!

Martoon
Level 0

Derp!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #153 on: June 20, 2011, 05:40:08 AM »

Apologies for double (triple?) posting, but thought it would be better to start a new post than edit one and risk losing the new goal.
Yeah, definitely better to make a new post for each goal (and each followup report).  That gives me specific posts to link to in the table, and makes sure I get the thread notification email (I'm guessing I wouldn't for post edits).  The new replies are also good for keeping the thread visible so people are aware of it.

Tiles are looking good, btw.  It's nice that you have multiple versions of each type of tile for random variation, and the cracks are spaced well so they fall within the confines of each tile but don't look like they're contained within grid cells when they're placed together.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2011, 05:46:21 AM by Martoon » Logged

Amanda Williams
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #154 on: June 23, 2011, 12:13:26 AM »

Hmm. Ok! Smiley

I hope a 2 month deadline counts. That's realistic for me right now.

I'll learn one of the several game making programs I've downloaded to make an interactive environment. Painted, hopefully. Things react when clicked on.

It may seem super simple, but I'd love to be able to create some things on my own, so this is my first step.

We're almost to the end of this month, so deadline August 31.

Progress: Tutored in Unity, mocked up level in Photoshop with sprites/background. Next I'll plug it into Unity, and then make it look nice.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2011, 11:48:16 PM by Amanda Williams » Logged

Articulated
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #155 on: June 26, 2011, 06:35:38 AM »

Done!

This is the "Skeleton" design for the sidewalk.  The individual slabs in the sidewalk will either be modified into a tileset, like the roads, or they'll be deformed at random during level generation, hence why it looks a bit bare at the mo.

Which leads me onto my next goal...

GOAL: Make a working build of road generation, using procedural generation from a seed, in GameMaker.

DEADLINE: 1st August 2011.  Going to give myself a decent amount of time for this one.

Love this thread!

I have a blog too!

Articulated
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #156 on: July 28, 2011, 04:14:57 PM »

Just chiming in to say there's absolutely NO WAY I'm going to make my deadline this time.  An...err...an extension!  That's what I need...an extension!

I approached the problem totally the wrong way - started coding before I knew what I was doing.  Bad management etc.

So!  Ahem...deferred deadline to 14th August if you would be so kind Smiley

I have a blog too!

Mega
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #157 on: July 31, 2011, 10:16:34 PM »

Great idea for a thread! worthy of being on the site front page  Blink
one thing though, seperate the "pending", from the "completed" from the "failed" in that order. what do you think?? also as a rule let each entry be dependant on time deadlines. so even if the poster completes it the day after they still "failed" might avoid confusion and encourage real goals.

dont mean to take over your thread just suggesting Smiley

« Last Edit: July 31, 2011, 10:24:23 PM by Mega » Logged
Martoon
Level 0

Derp!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #158 on: August 09, 2011, 02:48:02 PM »

So!  Ahem...deferred deadline to 14th August if you would be so kind Smiley
Hmm, I guess I'll let that slide.  Wink  This is, after all, about people making their own goals.

Martoon
Level 0

Derp!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #159 on: August 09, 2011, 02:57:54 PM »

Great idea for a thread! worthy of being on the site front page  Blink
one thing though, seperate the "pending", from the "completed" from the "failed" in that order. what do you think?? also as a rule let each entry be dependant on time deadlines. so even if the poster completes it the day after they still "failed" might avoid confusion and encourage real goals.

dont mean to take over your thread just suggesting Smiley

Thanks!

Putting the pending goals in a separate listing at the top is a good idea.  If/when I have time to modify the script, I'll do that (and yes, I'm aware of the irony in that rather evasive commitment in the context of this thread).

I'd like to automate it so people can post their goal and completion update in some specified format and it would automatically update the table, and also change it to Fail if there were no update by the deadline.  That's substantially more complex than the script I'm using now, though, and the SMF forum software tends to be problematic for scripted login and posting (from what I've read).

In any case, I still like to give people the option to finish something after the deadline and have the status changed to Late.  No point in removing all incentive after the deadline.

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic