Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411562 Posts in 69384 Topics- by 58443 Members - Latest Member: junkmail

May 03, 2024, 09:54:28 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)CreativeThe Progress Accountability Thread: Meet your goals lest we point and laugh
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8
Print
Author Topic: The Progress Accountability Thread: Meet your goals lest we point and laugh  (Read 36373 times)
eclectocrat
Level 5

Most of your personality is unconscious.

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2011, 02:00:08 AM »

Finish my new level editor and post screenshots on my devlog.
Right now it's Saturday around 8pm, so I think I can get it done by Monday 2pm.

Good thread.

I make Mysterious Castle, a Tactics-Roguelike
Martoon
Level 0

Derp!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2011, 09:35:08 AM »

Finish my new level editor and post screenshots on my devlog.
Right now it's Saturday around 8pm, so I think I can get it done by Monday 2pm.

Good thread.
Added.  Btw, love your username.

eclectocrat
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2011, 06:49:55 AM »

FAIL!

Unfinished editor screens are posted HERE: http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=17847.0

I have some pretty good excuses, but excuses are for pussies (apologies to vaginas everywhere).

The public humiliation may commence.

Martoon
Level 0

Derp!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2011, 09:50:44 AM »

FAIL!

Unfinished editor screens are posted HERE: http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=17847.0

I have some pretty good excuses, but excuses are for pussies (apologies to vaginas everywhere).

The public humiliation may commence.
*dutifully points and laughs*

The editor is looking good, though.  Glad you made some progress on it.  I like the live Lua console.

I've been wondering how we want to show missed deadlines in the table.  I'd like people to have the option of still completing the goal late, which should be shown differently than just a fail.

I think what I'll do is show it as Fail, but the person can always report back with the completed goal later, and I'll change it to Late.  Anyone have any thoughts on this?

dangerousday
Level 1

iacedrom

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2011, 08:00:30 PM »

Implement the main gameplay mechanic and turn structure of my turn-based exploration game. Start a devlog thread when that is done.

Bonus: Sketch concept art of at least two characters.

Deadline: The night of Wednesday, March 2. Since I have the day off on Thursday, I can then chug away at it all day, confident that my official progress has started!
HiVE
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: March 01, 2011, 03:30:40 AM »

Great idea for a thread, harnessing the power of social oppression. Brilliant. Smiley

eclectocrat
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 01, 2011, 05:21:31 AM »

Hey,
Finished, more than 1 day late  Facepalm

Martoon
Level 0

Derp!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: March 01, 2011, 07:10:02 AM »

Great idea for a thread, harnessing the power of social oppression. Brilliant. Smiley
Lol.  Innit, though?

Hey,
Finished, more than 1 day late  Facepalm
*downgrades pointing and laughing to a sideways glance and a snicker*

So, when do we see the shiny new screenshots?

eclectocrat
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 02, 2011, 03:45:09 AM »

So, when do we see the shiny new screenshots?

It's up now.
I didn't want to spam the devlog board with a screen that had about a 100 pixel difference from the first one. Then I got carried away on my editor and added a stupid gui interface to Lua. I wasted a whole day on that and I was a day late on the original editor goal, so that's 2 days behind schedule  Angry

Next goal: Fix the lighting system so it doesn't display things behind walls that you shouldn't see. Deadline: March 4 at 11.59pm. That gives me over two whole days. I can handle that.

This thread is addictive.

Martoon
Level 0

Derp!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: March 02, 2011, 06:19:33 AM »

Then I got carried away on my editor and added a stupid gui interface to Lua.
Hey, I like that!  I've always wanted to add a reflective entity inspector to one of my games, but I've never gotten around to doing it.  I think that can be really handy.  I might check out your source when I get a chance.

This thread is addictive.
Awesome.  Smiley

I've been wanting to post more goals here myself, but I've been under insane pressure at my day job.  I'm going to be gone visiting my girlfriend for a couple weeks, so I need to get ahead on my hours at work.  Then, of course, I'll be visiting my girlfriend for a couple weeks, so I probably won't get a lot done on my stuff during that time.  Tongue

eclectocrat
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 02, 2011, 08:36:16 AM »

Thanks for keeping the thread going. If no one maintained it then it would lose it's effect.

You have my appreciation for your prompt efforts.

Hey, I like that!  I've always wanted to add a reflective entity inspector to one of my games, but I've never gotten around to doing it.  I think that can be really handy.  I might check out your source when I get a chance.

Don't check it out yet. It's primitive and buggy. It just does the bare minimum of what I need and crashes when you push it beyond that  Shrug. It's the epitome of an ugly hack. But I fixed 2 subtle bugs this evening and am working on one more right ... NOW

Martoon
Level 0

Derp!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: March 02, 2011, 10:38:52 AM »

Thanks for keeping the thread going. If no one maintained it then it would lose it's effect.

You have my appreciation for your prompt efforts.
Thanks.  I hope more people start using it.  I'd like to have a sort of mutual accountability community, which I guess is what we have here.  It's just a little small at the moment.  I think a lot of people are scared off by the risk of missing a deadline (which a couple have mentioned).  I'm actually glad you missed one of your deadlines by a bit, so other people won't feel like they'd be the first Fail. Wink

I need to find a quicker and easier way to edit the table at the top.  Editing the BB code directly is pretty cumbersome (finding the right place to insert/edit in the sea of [.td.] tags, making hyperlinks, etc.).  I may even get carried away and automate it so people can post goals and deadlines in a specific format and a script would edit the OP.  I'd need to have an approval step to prevent vandalism.

If anyone has any thoughts or suggestions on this, or anything about this thread, I'm interested.

Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: March 03, 2011, 11:56:21 PM »

Complete!

You can now drink potions and eat test steaks (and you should also be able to eat severed limbs but I haven't managed to chop any off yet to test)

taking a swig of Red Stuff.

the empty bottle afterwards.

I store the event for when you finish 'consuming' an item in the actual item, now, so I can use the same code in the player for eating, drinking, and opening chests, and only vary the code in each item.

While I was at it I made it so that you sheath your weapon when you pick up an item, and it remains sheathed until you attack. Just for fun.

Thx for this thread, man. It was pretty easy stuff but no way would I have done it without the motivation of a deadline.

New Goal:
re-implement status effects and make the potions actually have varying effects.
Deadline: End of day, March 31

edit: eating severed limbs works, too!

eclectocrat
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 04, 2011, 07:54:20 AM »

Almost failed again. This time I made it with 5 minutes to spare! I ended up rewriting a large portion of the lighting system because of a wrong assumption I made when I started the engine. I introduced another quirk along the way but the overall effect is sweet.

BEFORE

AFTER

tsameti
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 04, 2011, 12:45:51 PM »

I have officially Failed to reach my March 3rd deadline for sprite art.

Personal stuff came up, and I didn't schedule well around it.

Current
Poikolos

Permanently on Hiatus
Son, Stranger
Martoon
Level 0

Derp!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: March 04, 2011, 01:36:21 PM »

Okay, I think I have everything up to date in the table (let me know if I missed anything).  No report from dangerousday and it's a couple days overdue, so I'm putting down a Fail for that.

As always, any Fail can be changed to a Late if the goal is met later.

Martoon
Level 0

Derp!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: March 04, 2011, 01:40:19 PM »

You can now drink potions and eat test steaks (and you should also be able to eat severed limbs but I haven't managed to chop any off yet to test)
Yum!  Ain't nothin' I like more than a big juicy test steak.  With the possible exception of a severed limb.

It's looking good.  I think the little stuff like having the weapon sheathed when you pick up an item, etc., do a lot to add life to the game's world.

Martoon
Level 0

Derp!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: March 04, 2011, 01:42:55 PM »

Almost failed again. This time I made it with 5 minutes to spare! I ended up rewriting a large portion of the lighting system because of a wrong assumption I made when I started the engine. I introduced another quirk along the way but the overall effect is sweet.
Looks great!

Bood_war
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: March 04, 2011, 02:40:45 PM »

Hold me accountable for this.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2011, 04:53:04 PM by Bood_War » Logged

Martoon
Level 0

Derp!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: March 04, 2011, 09:10:05 PM »

Hold me accountable for this.
In 168 hours?  You need to give me a date.  Math is hard.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic