Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411491 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58433 Members - Latest Member: graysonsolis

April 29, 2024, 03:48:21 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsMysterious Castle - For Windows, OSX, and iOS
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
Print
Author Topic: Mysterious Castle - For Windows, OSX, and iOS  (Read 32093 times)
eclectocrat
Level 5

Most of your personality is unconscious.

View Profile
« on: February 13, 2011, 05:02:54 PM »

Roguelike fans! Tactics fans! Indie fans!

DONE! (for now)

Downloads, Screens, Blog, News, Misc.

Stuck between warring elementals.

Confrontation with orcs.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2012, 04:16:38 AM by eclectocrat » Logged

I make Mysterious Castle, a Tactics-Roguelike
FK in the Coffee
Level 10

meme pixels

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2011, 05:04:30 PM »

This has aroused my interest.

I will certainly follow this, as my nerd boner is raging even harder than Dragonmaw's.
Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2011, 05:30:21 PM »

I'm liking the sight/sound of this

pixhead
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2011, 06:25:18 PM »

This looks sweet Smiley
Eclipse
Level 10

0xDEADC0DE

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2011, 01:52:08 AM »

holy shit this look SO GOOD, do want!

<Powergloved_Andy> I once fapped to Dora the Explorer
superflat
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2011, 01:56:54 AM »

Wow this is super ambitious, and I wish you all the luck in the world with it!

I'd like to see the greys appearing less 'pure' - I know it fits with the Ultima vibe, but I'd prefer to see a little colour theory applied (maybe a tint to the grey, or bluish shadows, or yellowish highlights perhaps?)

Eclipse
Level 10

0xDEADC0DE

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2011, 06:44:22 AM »

also please make a PC version with a higher resolution and mouse interface I beg you  Beg
many of us have no interest in iphone\android games

<Powergloved_Andy> I once fapped to Dora the Explorer
Dustin Smith
Level 10

Eskimo James Dean

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2011, 07:54:32 AM »

^ A Plus one to everything already mentioned.

I think the Tactics Ogre 2.5 perspective is pretty awesome, and from a design standpoint it looks fairly robust. Pretty please make a PC version.

Bones
Level 10

3 Months Sober

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2011, 08:18:57 AM »

Please start calling it isometric, because 2.5d requires some 3d.
From what I see this game is only 2 dimensions... ^^;

Final Fantasy Tactics is a 2.5D Isometric game, but thats because the world is 3d.
Which allows for you to rotate the camera around the selected character.

- 2.5 dimension definition
- Isometric definition

I'm not trying to bash your game at all, I actually really really enjoy tactic style games.
Just try to call it isometric and not 2.5d unless the world is 3d or the characters are 3d in a 2d world.

The fog of war has a nice atmospheric feel to it.
By the sounds of "meet friends" I take it you will eventually control more than just one character? or is it single character driven? Like Diablo, being that it's an adventure game? or will you eventually control more than one character?

Don't mind me and my semantics, your game is looking great.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2011, 09:44:24 AM by Bones » Logged

Sit down and relax,
Keeping focus on your breath,
This may take a while.

eclectocrat
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2011, 06:11:22 PM »

Thanks for the kind words everyone!

I'd like to see the greys appearing less 'pure' - I know it fits with the Ultima vibe, but I'd prefer to see a little colour theory applied (maybe a tint to the grey, or bluish shadows, or yellowish highlights perhaps?)

Hee, hee! You seriously overestimate my skills! The lighting is an uber simple per-tile bit twiddling. There is no per pixel modification. You can see in the screens that the highlights on the objects make no sense in terms of light directionality. I've experimented with some hue saturation so that torches cast red light and magic spells cast white light, but the results look pretty bad so far.

also please make a PC version with a higher resolution and mouse interface I beg you  Beg
many of us have no interest in iphone\android games

My first goal is a phone game, but I plan on releasing a creation suite for Mac/Windows in the future, so people can release their own levels/campaigns and modifications.

Please start calling it isometric, because 2.5d requires some 3d.
From what I see this game is only 2 dimensions... ^^;

Final Fantasy Tactics is a 2.5D Isometric game, but thats because the world is 3d.
Which allows for you to rotate the camera around the selected character.

Oh, sorry. I wanted to emphasize that there is a Z coordinate signifying levels of depth. Most isometric games I see around are flat.

By the sounds of "meet friends" I take it you will eventually control more than just one character? or is it single character driven? Like Diablo, being that it's an adventure game? or will you eventually control more than one character?

Yeah, you'll meet and control others along the way. Right now there is a bug in the party following code so the screens only show one character. I want to have you play one character who recruits others to follow them, but the additional characters have their own motivations and may betray you if you piss them off. I guess some allies will come and go as the story progresses.

Anyways, thanks for the encouraging response! I'll post more info and screens soon.

superflat
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2011, 04:19:19 AM »

Hee, hee! You seriously overestimate my skills! The lighting is an uber simple per-tile bit twiddling. There is no per pixel modification. You can see in the screens that the highlights on the objects make no sense in terms of light directionality. I've experimented with some hue saturation so that torches cast red light and magic spells cast white light, but the results look pretty bad so far.

Oh no, I didn't mean fancy shaders or anything like that - just that the greys used in the wall tiles are very pure grey, which gives it a retro feel, but perhaps if they used slightly tinted grey ramps it would look a little more modern.

Hayden Scott-Baron
Level 10

also known as 'Dock'

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2011, 04:28:18 AM »

Hey, this looks nice. Smiley Good luck with it!

twitter: @docky
eclectocrat
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2011, 06:20:47 AM »

Hello good people,

Progress is fine, fine, fine! All the kinks have been worked out from the portable software renderer and the code is now running smooth as a little babies poop shoot.

Now I have experimented with level progression, here's the scoop: killing monsters does NOT give you XP, except in rare circumstances. Instead you get XP for each tile of the map you see, and extra XP for handling certain items. This gives players the option of trying hard to get around combat, knowing that they won't miss out on any experience. I'd really like to encourage the alternative systems of overcoming obstacles, which right now consist of:

A) Skill such as pick lock, sneak, spot (hidden doors/levers)
 B) Magic spells (I'll explain the spellcasting system at another time, but suffice to say that casting powerful spells requires some almost minigame level efforts, and they ARE powerful...)
 C) Negotiation by carefully choosing conversation options

I'm still trying to work out the kinks, because this system might actually punish a group of ultra violent warriors who are unable to open certain locked doors and therefore unable to access the XP behind them. Maybe I'll sprinkle some super tough monsters who collect keys or powerful unlock scrolls or some other crap.

Here's another pic almost exactly like the other ones...

Hello there my Orcish friends, who fancies a game of Magic:The Gathering?

richy486
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2011, 04:49:39 PM »

What do you think about changing the characters appearance to be less of a warrior to encourage non violent ways to overcome obstacles?

Retro
Level 2

Matej Jan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2011, 04:56:20 PM »

Finally an indie game I can look forward to playing on my iPad. Will it be an universal app so I can see the game with a bigger field of view? Would be easy to do, especially since you have no gui issues to worry about. Love the pixel art and atmosphere otherwise!

eclectocrat
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2011, 04:44:07 AM »

What do you think about changing the characters appearance to be less of a warrior to encourage non violent ways to overcome obstacles?

Yeah, there are a lot of different character sprites, I'm just too lazy to add them now. I do all my testing with just the bare minimum of graphics assets.

Finally an indie game I can look forward to playing on my iPad. Will it be an universal app so I can see the game with a bigger field of view?

Yeah, I don't see why not. I'm just a little afraid that the sprites will look too small on the screen. Maybe I'll do a combination of scaling and increasing the FOV. I don't have an iPad to test on now, do you happen to have a developer account? I'll really need beta testers in the not too distant future.

Lazycow
Level 2

Do androids dream of electric sheep?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2011, 10:49:30 AM »

Hey, I like the graphics. Did you do them yourself?
What about showing some more of the items and backgrounds?

<Nanovoid><Treasureline><Pharaohs Return>
Zulli: "Is this game really being programmed or are you just torturing us?"
richy486
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2011, 04:17:23 PM »

Yeah, there are a lot of different character sprites, I'm just too lazy to add them now. I do all my testing with just the bare minimum of graphics assets.

Yeah i thought that after a posted, good idea, cant wait to play it.

Retro
Level 2

Matej Jan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2011, 05:57:05 PM »

Yeah, you could do the 2x scale and have a slice more of view still (960 to 1024).

I have a dev account, yeah. Tested tons of my students' games so no problem in giving one more a go. Smiley

richy486
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2011, 07:43:16 PM »

I have a developer account and I'd love to test it to. I only have a 3gs though.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic