Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411562 Posts in 69384 Topics- by 58443 Members - Latest Member: junkmail

May 03, 2024, 10:50:55 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallGhost Song on Kickstarter (Wraps up on Wednesday night)
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Ghost Song on Kickstarter (Wraps up on Wednesday night)  (Read 3548 times)
twotimingpete
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« on: July 30, 2013, 03:04:11 PM »

Warning, gif heavy! Because I like gifs!

The game is now live on Kickstarter: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1192311215/ghost-song-a-journey-of-hope

Ghost Song is a 2D "metroidvania" inspired most heavily by Super Metroid -- And by Dark Souls. The Dark Souls influence is less mechanical and more subtle/philosophical. Although, the way I handle npcs in this game is extremely reminiscent of Dark Souls.

The game started out as a solo project destined for Flash and browser windows everywhere. Ultimately, I got tired of designing for flash. I got tired of concerns about file size and memory. I got tired of playing the game on a friggin keyboard. I got tired of feeling constrained in terms of my art and environments. The purpose of the kickstarter is to bring my programming partner onboard, port the entire thing to unity, redo/do all new art for higher resolutions, and finish strong.

Here's some gifs of the game being played, showing what it's like. I'm sorry if it takes a minute to download all this, but hopefully it's worth it because it'll show you the game much better than tons of text or stills ever could.

I'm passionate about metroidvania and the classic games I love from my childhood -- If you like what you see, please pass it along and even consider supporting the KS once it's live.

More soon! If anyone has any questions about the game I'd be thrilled to answer them!
« Last Edit: September 02, 2013, 05:42:43 AM by twotimingpete » Logged

gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2013, 03:41:12 PM »

w
O
W
!

Irock
Level 5

why's my avatar so big

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2013, 04:16:50 PM »

I had a hunch that you were growing tired of some of Stencyl's shortcomings.

How much are you going to ask for on Kickstarter?

twotimingpete
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2013, 04:26:27 PM »

I had a hunch that you were growing tired of some of Stencyl's shortcomings.

How much are you going to ask for on Kickstarter?

I have a soft spot for stencyl because I enjoy USING it, I like the interface and work flow -- The basic logic makes sense. It may have some issues but this is more about me not wanting to make this as a flash game anymore.

The goal isn't 100% final so I'll wait for Monday to go public there. The trick is to carefully decide what's the least I can ask while still delivering the game the way I envision it.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2013, 04:31:58 PM by twotimingpete » Logged

Totter87
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2013, 05:25:27 PM »

This looks AMAAAAAAZING. I'll have to keep an eye out for it on KS.

A coworker and I were checking out Stencyl today. I don't have a lot of experience with it myself. How would it do as a teaching engine to get kids and younger college students into game dev basics?

twotimingpete
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2013, 05:38:13 PM »

This looks AMAAAAAAZING. I'll have to keep an eye out for it on KS.

A coworker and I were checking out Stencyl today. I don't have a lot of experience with it myself. How would it do as a teaching engine to get kids and younger college students into game dev basics?

Quite well, I think. I didn't know much about programming when I started out with stencyl, and learning -- by following tutorials at first -- Really was informative about the fundamentals of programming. Assigning variables, creating logic layer by layer... It's visual, somewhat simplified programming (you snap these code blocks together from a pallete) but more flexible than you might think (I made the entire ghost song game, such as it is so far, using this -- and I have stats, items, powers, weapons, damage types, a large map connected by different zones, etc).

Oh, and thanks for your kind words Smiley

Raiyumi
Level 1

DJ Kat

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2013, 05:23:05 PM »

Awesome stuff! Will keep an eye out for this.  Smiley

twotimingpete
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2013, 12:55:17 AM »

I'm launching the KS campaign tomorrow! (Monday) I think it's going to go up in the evening, EST. Looking forward to seeing what happens, this is my first KS campaign ever.  Hand Joystick

Games Inquirer
Level 4

I love video games.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2013, 02:04:48 AM »

What are the Dark Souls influences?

Check out my amateur blog in Greek or English.
CharsAce
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2013, 09:44:00 AM »

Yes to Unity! I really liked what I played of it, but it chugged for me. With Unity you will get better performance and access to some nice tools.
lanedaughtry
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2013, 11:37:46 AM »

That looks really interesting so far. I'm a HUGE metroidvania fan as well so you certainly have piqued my curiosity. Can't wait to see more in the kick!

And you are in for a crazy next 30 days. Enjoy the ride and try and maintain your sanity.

twotimingpete
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2013, 04:51:25 PM »

The Dark Souls influences come from my design approach and the overall tone. The way I'll be hiding optional content and what is expected of the player. And, more specifically, the way npcs and their storylines are handled is very reminiscent.

And you are in for a crazy next 30 days. Enjoy the ride and try and maintain your sanity.

I'm not worried about my sanity, because I'm ready for the thing to fail. I don't count my hens before they roost or whatever. The worst part of it failing wouldn't be it failing, it'd be the embarrassment of telling people I know that I'm doing this and them all seeing it fail.

twotimingpete
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2013, 04:09:49 PM »

The KS is now live!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1192311215/ghost-song-a-journey-of-hope

Check it out, and if you dig it please pass it along. thanks Smiley

the ghost tree:

Conker534
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2013, 04:57:23 PM »

Thanks for not asking for a crazy amount that you probably wouldn't have needed. Hope everything goes successful for you!

By the way I dig everything about this game, if I had money to spend I'd totally throw some your way. I really dig the character designs.
Games Inquirer
Level 4

I love video games.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2013, 06:16:46 PM »

This looks great, I hope you get it right, good luck!

Check out my amateur blog in Greek or English.
marineta
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2013, 07:25:39 AM »

Wow! I really like the art and the feeling of this project! Good luck with the campaign Smiley
EaglEye
Level 0

Belgian Gamer and Youtuber

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2013, 01:02:20 PM »

Great Work Matt, your game looks superb and seems like many others think the same thing Smiley

Indie youtuber looking at new and upcoming Indie games. Being informative and entertaining at the same time
MY YOUTUBE - MY WEBSITE
Meatsack
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2013, 07:44:36 AM »

I just looked at the Kickstarter page and it looks like you just met your goal!
I bet you end up with at least double what you asked for by the time is up.

Awesome project.  I'm looking forward to it.

Writer, Game Maker, Day-Dreamer... 
The current project is Super Gunball DEMO
Miguelito
Level 4

makes graphics

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2013, 10:19:38 AM »

SUCCESS!

Can we have PayPal now? I prefer giving you the cash directly. Smiley

(← new art twitter)
DylanNagel
Level 0

For glory!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2013, 11:42:10 AM »

Congrats! Great presentation and already funded within 48 hours!
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic