Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411636 Posts in 69394 Topics- by 58448 Members - Latest Member: Danque_Birbington_II

May 13, 2024, 11:57:44 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperDesignThe Idea Pool
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9
Print
Author Topic: The Idea Pool  (Read 44709 times)
sharksweetheart
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 13, 2007, 05:55:04 AM »

« Last Edit: November 12, 2009, 08:29:11 PM by sharksweetheart » Logged
gummikana
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: October 16, 2007, 08:07:18 AM »

It's called Smoke, and that's what it is. You use your mouse to move the smoke around a black backdrop and it swirls and twirls and does pretty things. Maybe there'd be lights or colours, or some music.

That's pretty much just a fluid simulation demo. There are tons of them around the net. Here's one: http://www.experimentalgameplay.com/game.php?g=217

Petri Purho
sharksweetheart
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 16, 2007, 08:33:15 AM »

« Last Edit: November 12, 2009, 08:29:49 PM by sharksweetheart » Logged
fish
DOOMERANG
Level 10

cant spell selfish without fish

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: October 16, 2007, 09:51:46 AM »

in my game, you play as a guy who has to decides wether his best friend lives, or dies.

and his best friend is a talking pie.

Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 16, 2007, 10:36:59 AM »

in my game, you play as a guy who has to decides wether his best friend lives, or dies.

and his best friend is a talking pie.

Can you choose to eat him?

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
Bennett
Jinky Jonky and the Spell of the Advergamez 3
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: October 17, 2007, 08:12:08 AM »

1) A top-down 'super-sprint' style racing game, where your engine is represented by a puzzle-game in the vein of 'pipe dream'. You collect new pipe segments, heat sinks and radiators to help cool your engine so you can drive faster without blowing a gasket.

2) A Sorites paradox game. One example is a rock-climbing game that begins by showing you the whole cliff face, and a hut at the top of the mountain. It looks about 100 feet high. The game sets you a checkpoint goal - get halfway up! At the first checkpoint, you are set a second goal - get halfway up the remaining distance! After several hours of this, the summit is still out of sight.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2007, 12:53:52 PM by Benzido » Logged
Zaphos
« Reply #46 on: October 18, 2007, 05:29:45 PM »

2) A Sorites paradox game. One example is a rock-climbing game that begins by showing you the whole cliff face, and a hut at the top of the mountain. It looks about 100 feet high. The game sets you a checkpoint goal - get halfway up! At the first checkpoint, you are set a second goal - get halfway up the remaining distance! After several hours of this, the summit is still out of sight.
Did you mean Zeno's paradox?  If so, the summit would certainly be in sight ... you would basically be there, and the game would just constantly pop up "you made the next checkpoint!!" messages, preventing you from actually getting there.
Pigbuster
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 18, 2007, 05:36:24 PM »

An advanced alien civilization is fighting a losing battle against their enemy. Seeking a savior, scouts are sent to distant planet Earth to abduct its greatest and most powerful heroes and bring them back to fight in a grand tournament the likes of which have never been seen.

However, the scouts seemed to have misinterpreted their mission statement, and wound up collecting the completely wrong people.

The Soccer Mom. The Bag Lady. The video store attendant. The retired magician. The stay-at-home dad. All these and many more.

Pick your "hero" and engage in battle to the best of your below-average abilities. Will you take the crown and inherit the role of leading the aliens in war?
Stij
Level 3

the world's tallest dwarf

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 18, 2007, 06:36:48 PM »

I can see it now...

Below-Average Warriors: The Mediocracy
Melly
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 18, 2007, 06:43:12 PM »

That needs to be made.

fish
DOOMERANG
Level 10

cant spell selfish without fish

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: October 19, 2007, 06:52:11 AM »

i started working on this idea again.
its been kicking around for a loooong time.
it came to me a in a dream! it played great!
its kinda like a top down shooter except you dont shoot shit, you slice!

but i cant code worth a damn so Sad

Eden
« Reply #51 on: October 21, 2007, 12:10:29 AM »

Inspired by this: http://www.nytimes.com/2007/10/20/world/asia/20japan.html?em&ex=1193112000&en=1017507665faa42d&ei=5087%0A
It's Japan. Pickpockets are out in full force, trying to pick at your pockets. But you have a defence against these nasty pickpocketers, The Damitsu!
It is a special bowler hat that allows you to disguise yourself as an everyday object: A vending machine, a fire hydrant, a shower, and so on. However, beware of what might happen if someone mistakes you for one of those objects! Who knows what they'll do!

The player is required to put on a special hat for the object they are disguised as during gameplay.
For example, if you were being a fire hydrant you'd have to wear a fire hydrant hat in real life!
Arne
The Pantymaster
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: October 22, 2007, 08:20:13 AM »

A game where you're a band of murderous collaborating cockroaches who kill people in their apartments by using improvisation and butterfly effects. Stuff like making them trip on wires and fall down the stairs, mixing poison and putting in their food, herd scorpions into their bed, patiently hoist a sharp heavy object over them as they sleep... etc. The towering humans would move in slow-motion to give an impression of their size and how fast/reactive insects are. They'd have a daily schedule/habits so you could observe then while making devious plans.

Spy vs. Spy meets Shadow of the Colossus meets TokoBot meets Kafka.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2007, 08:23:44 AM by Arne » Logged
Seth
« Reply #53 on: November 10, 2007, 02:07:36 PM »

A strategy game where every one of your units has a distinct personality (i.e. Fire Emblem, but even more so) but where the death of units is inevitable (Starcraft)

dunno if it would actually be fun, as I am the type of gamer to reset a game nearly finished battle if even one of the characters I don't like is killed, but maybe it would raise some emotional turmoil in the player

EDIT:  It could even come into gameplay, losing a well liked soldier would decrease overall moral, and even moreso for ones close to him
« Last Edit: November 10, 2007, 02:10:05 PM by Seth » Logged
Zaphos
« Reply #54 on: November 10, 2007, 04:41:45 PM »

Games where figuring out how to actually play is a challenge into itself are probably only good if that was the point to begin with (can't be sure that's ever been made, though it certainly seem the case with hardcore roguelike devs). Otherwise I hate them.
A game where every key on the keyboard makes the main character do something interesting and different, and the player must complete various tasks by learning the capability of the different keys.  (To make it not as frustrating as it might be, there should be multiple solutions to each task, so no specific key need be found)
Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: November 11, 2007, 12:48:26 AM »

A game where the resolution and bit-depth increases as you advance through the stages, going from a lowly 24*16 1-bit cell where you play as a dot, to a bignumber*bignumber, bignumber-bit Odin Sphere-type-beautiful game. Maybe it'd even become 3d after a while. If you take too much damage, though, you begin to recede back to lower states of graphicisity.
With the increas'd levels there'd also be increased complexity of gameplay, where you start in a collect-the-dots type situation and end up in an epic, million-stat-driven RPG with actions such as "zing", "hurrah", and "quaff", (not text-based, mind you.) on a quest to save the Wuurld from the encroaching threat of an unseen evil.

Speaking of an unseen evil, a game where you play as an unseen evil and influence people and animals and objects in unseen ways to cause as many people to have as terrible a day as possible...unseenedly and evilly

Oracle
Pixelhead
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 11, 2007, 06:59:06 AM »

Speaking of an unseen evil, a game where you play as an unseen evil and influence people and animals and objects in unseen ways to cause as many people to have as terrible a day as possible...unseenedly and evilly

Not exactly the same, but similar;
The Haunting; Starring Polterguy

Bennett
Jinky Jonky and the Spell of the Advergamez 3
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 11, 2007, 09:16:15 AM »

A game where ninjas play cricket with a samurai, throwing ninja stars towards him, so that he can bat them away with his sword once they bounce off the ground. The umpire is a barn owl sitting on a stump..

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: November 12, 2007, 03:15:04 PM »

A strategy game where every one of your units has a distinct personality (i.e. Fire Emblem, but even more so) but where the death of units is inevitable (Starcraft)

dunno if it would actually be fun, as I am the type of gamer to reset a game nearly finished battle if even one of the characters I don't like is killed, but maybe it would raise some emotional turmoil in the player

EDIT:  It could even come into gameplay, losing a well liked soldier would decrease overall moral, and even moreso for ones close to him

Interestingly, sometimes when I watch Starcraft replays I highlight/select a particular unit and follow that unit throughout the entire game (up to the point he dies), wondering what it'd feel like to be that one dragoon or that one medic.

Melly
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 12, 2007, 03:18:35 PM »

Isn't that pretty much like Dwarf Fortress?

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic