Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411595 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58444 Members - Latest Member: FightingFoxGame

May 07, 2024, 03:01:45 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArtWorkshopA game from space. Unexperienced spriter in desperate need for feedback!
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: A game from space. Unexperienced spriter in desperate need for feedback!  (Read 2550 times)
njm1992
Level 0

Aaaaargh!

View Profile
« on: June 07, 2011, 02:21:44 AM »

Hi, I've recently begun work on my first platforming game, and I decided that now was the time to start upgrading my simplistic prototype graphics with a few more details.

But unfortunately I'm not very good at pixel art (or art in general, I suppose).

So any guidance, feedback or C+C (Constructive Criticism?) would be greatly appreciated. Smiley

Right now I'm working on this little space man (intentional space) AKA the main character.
(I'll worry about animations a little later.)

Old:

vs.

New:

Fire away! Wink

edit:
A space pirate:

edit 2:
Images fixed
« Last Edit: June 07, 2011, 07:33:14 AM by njm1992 » Logged
LDuncan
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2011, 07:27:29 AM »

I'm not very good at pixel art myself, so take this with a grain of salt. Also, the first four images seem to have the wrong URL so I can't see them.

I'll comment on the pirate though. I like him--I think you've done pretty well. There are a number of 2x2 pixel blocks though, and it kind of lowers the perceived resolution of the sprite. I don't know much about this though so for this it might be unavoidable with the style you're going for.

I kinda feel like his hat and belt buckle are a little misplaced. The pirate is looking slightly to the side, but his hat is straight on towards us. Makes it kind of look like he's wearing his hat at a 45 degree angle. My gut tells me his belt buckle should be one pixel more to the right--this seems right in my head, but who knows, it might look stupid if you put it that far over.

Anyway, I think it's a good start! Looking forward to see the first four pics as well when you can fix the links.
antymattar
Level 5

Has earned the contemporary *Banned* medal

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2011, 07:42:32 AM »

that s[ace pirate looks great. Only thing I would suggest is a small shadow line on that big body of his. Along the arms.

SundownKid
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2011, 07:53:56 AM »

Looks like one of those stacking dolls, or a Dharma.

I suggest moving over the skull on the hat, and the top of the hat, to be in line with his nose. The belt buckle as well.

njm1992
Level 0

Aaaaargh!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2011, 08:04:50 AM »

Thanks for the feedback! Smiley

I've moved the buckle, and tried to edit the hat to look more like it's at an angle. It's kinda hard for me to visualize this, but this is an attempt:

that s[ace pirate looks great. Only thing I would suggest is a small shadow line on that big body of his. Along the arms.

To the left of his left arm? Like on the jetpack? I'm not quite sure what you mean Smiley

Also I think I fixed the links, they worked to begin with, but I might have accidently changed their addresses.
SundownKid
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2011, 08:50:36 AM »

That is much improved. What he probably means is an arm shadow, which the white one has but the red one doesn't. It seems like he is raising his arms because there are none on his body.

Kevin
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2011, 10:07:00 AM »

Nitpicky, but the spaceman's head (the non-skin tone part) is a very slightly different colour than his suit, but it's so close in value that even a x4 zoom it's barely perceptible (unless it's just my monitor, which wouldn;t surprise me). I'd say either increase the contrast or just make the suit one colour.
njm1992
Level 0

Aaaaargh!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2011, 11:05:13 AM »

That is much improved. What he probably means is an arm shadow, which the white one has but the red one doesn't. It seems like he is raising his arms because there are none on his body.

I'm still not quite sure what that means, but I've attempted some changes to the left arm.  Undecided

I've also change the head to only have glass in front of his face.

New sprite:

Enlarged for your viewing pleasure Smiley

(I'm not sure how I should show off the sprites really, I'm looking at it at 3000% zoom in the editor, but in the game it would probably be around 4x or something similar).
antymattar
Level 5

Has earned the contemporary *Banned* medal

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2011, 11:21:03 AM »

Oooh, Ding! Yup the hat on the space pirate is a bit better now. I prefer the small scale ones better.

caffeine
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2011, 01:30:21 AM »

Let's see. You are definitely improving. Those last sprites are far superior compared to the first ones. I still think the shape in general could be improved, as well as your palette.

edit:

As you can see in my little edit, I tried to maintain that 3d-ish feeling throughout the entire sprite.
I also created a multipurpose palette and I switched up the design for your protagonist a bit.
njm1992
Level 0

Aaaaargh!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2011, 11:33:51 AM »

Let's see. You are definitely improving. Those last sprites are far superior compared to the first ones. I still think the shape in general could be improved, as well as your palette.

edit:

As you can see in my little edit, I tried to maintain that 3d-ish feeling throughout the entire sprite.
I also created a multipurpose palette and I switched up the design for your protagonist a bit.

Thank you for the feedback! Those are absolutely gorgeous! Kiss

It'll probably be a some time before I'll be able to do something like that.

But can I ask: what do you mean when you say multipurpose palette? Smiley
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic