Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411613 Posts in 69390 Topics- by 58447 Members - Latest Member: sinsofsven

May 09, 2024, 06:58:20 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsGhost Song: Atmospheric sci fi 2D -- Up; new 25 minute gameplay video
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 12
Print
Author Topic: Ghost Song: Atmospheric sci fi 2D -- Up; new 25 minute gameplay video  (Read 51737 times)
Bombini
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #160 on: January 14, 2015, 11:39:15 PM »

Very nice!

Few comments:
  • I love the dark and heavy synths kicking in
  • The sequence at 0:55 works very nice because it makes me wonder "who is this?" "Is it me?" "Why so depressed?"
  • Logo and end: I am not sure if the "o" of song is fitting to the rest. Its the only circle and kind of does not fit to the "o" of ghost. Plus... i dont fully get it (maybe thats totally fine and i also dont have a proposal)
  • URL is difficult to read on high resolution small screens (notebook) because of size

Keep it rocking!"

Fenrir
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #161 on: January 15, 2015, 12:37:39 AM »

I confirm the trailer is really nice, not too long, not too short, perfect!

quan
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #162 on: January 15, 2015, 12:41:18 AM »

ya boy looks cool
DarkWanderer
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #163 on: January 15, 2015, 07:23:09 PM »

Something about the flesh tone or texture of the last characters arm in the video kinda conflicted with the polish level or aesthetic of everything else imo. I watched that at like 4am in the morning after just waking up though, so I'll have to give it another look.

*Hmmm, yeah it bugs me for sure. I (without pointing anything out)Showed it to my wife whose an artist & she spent a good minute trying to decipher what seemed off, & she ultimately came to the same conclusion, the lighting on her skin is too bright in contrast with everything else in the room. But now she's saying I set her up to see something wrong with it, & that the more she looks at it, the less she see's something wrong with it Shrug
« Last Edit: January 15, 2015, 07:37:17 PM by DarkWanderer » Logged
dancing_dead
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #164 on: January 16, 2015, 12:21:55 AM »

trailer's good. but with a game that looks like this, any random footage would look amazing.

trailer's still good Smiley

definite stopping point, as in, something with a proper gameplay/story closure, or did you find countermeasures to messing with the game's files?
metlslime
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #165 on: January 16, 2015, 08:22:02 AM »

Following this.  Looks great.

Visually I'm reminded of both Super Metroid and to a lesser extent, Earthworm Jim.

twotimingpete
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #166 on: January 17, 2015, 09:02:37 PM »

thanks guys Smiley

trailer's good. but with a game that looks like this, any random footage would look amazing.

trailer's still good Smiley

definite stopping point, as in, something with a proper gameplay/story closure, or did you find countermeasures to messing with the game's files?

I have no way of stopping people from messing with the files on the PC. the only solution I can enact myself that I know of would be to use some kind of container service, but they bring possible problems and always seem to flag it as a virus.

there won't be any story answers in the beta, (though there will be just a tad more story type stuff, in a manner of speaking) that's never been what it's about, but there will be a screen you reach where you "won".

twotimingpete
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #167 on: January 18, 2015, 06:04:37 PM »

smoke fx http://www.gfycat.com/ElasticKeyAlaskajingle

DarkWanderer
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #168 on: January 18, 2015, 09:09:21 PM »

Looks great Smiley You know I never articulated this, but I've always been really partial to pixel art based games. Ghost Song though, has really set it's hooks in me, everything from the aesthetics & tone is perfect.
twotimingpete
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #169 on: January 22, 2015, 07:52:47 PM »

thanks Smiley

final beta update (other than minor fixes and stuff that may pop up) is this monday. Smiley

Derity
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #170 on: January 22, 2015, 09:39:18 PM »

here's a sneak peak at my new Ghost Song trailer, "Reborn".

UNLISTED LINK:

This is currently unlisted and unreleased, but you guys can check it out ahead of time if you want! I plan to release it officially along with the next beta update which will put into place many improvements and finally a definite stopping point. XD

I need this game Sad

Is there any reason you removed the "film grain"? I thought it gave you a nice unique touch!

twotimingpete
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #171 on: January 22, 2015, 09:52:55 PM »

thanks Smiley

I've cleaned up the game's appearance a bit -- there's still some grain (maybe harder to see in the video) but these things are fluid. I'm constantly tweaking. I keep going back and forth lately, for example, on whether to disable the sharpening shader or not. there's somtehing cozy about it without the sharpening. sharpening is sharper, true, but it also feels a bit artificial and at times creates little artifacts I don't like.

twotimingpete
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #172 on: January 22, 2015, 09:56:43 PM »

I uploaded this example video showcasing the new stuff in the beta https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ex8wqra16-w&feature=youtu.be frame drops are my fraps derping. again, unlisted video, mainly intended for this forum but it wouldn't be a big deal if it got out. as said above this update drops on monday.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2015, 10:10:06 PM by twotimingpete » Logged

Derity
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #173 on: January 23, 2015, 07:24:51 AM »

OOPS! I kinda tweeted the trailer yesterday, only now realising it wasn't meant to be released, lol.  Shrug

Let me know if I should remove the tweet!

As for the sharpening filter, aha.. yeah I'd probably remove too if it had bits come up that looked weird, it doesn't look better/worse with/without it really - just different. Maybe it could be an option you can turn on.

twotimingpete
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #174 on: January 23, 2015, 07:35:12 AM »

OOPS! I kinda tweeted the trailer yesterday, only now realising it wasn't meant to be released, lol.  Shrug

Let me know if I should remove the tweet!

As for the sharpening filter, aha.. yeah I'd probably remove too if it had bits come up that looked weird, it doesn't look better/worse with/without it really - just different. Maybe it could be an option you can turn on.

it's fine Wink

oldblood
Level 10

...Not again.

View Profile
« Reply #175 on: January 23, 2015, 08:09:13 AM »

Love the atmosphere you've created here. Excited to play this.

twotimingpete
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #176 on: January 26, 2015, 10:47:27 AM »

updated the beta and officially released the trailer.

autumnspark
Level 0

hnnngh

View Profile WWW
« Reply #177 on: January 28, 2015, 10:49:41 AM »

"Experience isolation and wonder..." As Adam said, I'm quite late to the party. But this looks incredibly awesome. The way you descend down into the levels gives me the same feeling I got reading Annihilation (from the Southern Reach trilogy) by Jeff VanderMeer, especially with all the strangely haunting dialogue.   

twotimingpete
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #178 on: January 28, 2015, 04:14:36 PM »

"Experience isolation and wonder..." As Adam said, I'm quite late to the party. But this looks incredibly awesome. The way you descend down into the levels gives me the same feeling I got reading Annihilation (from the Southern Reach trilogy) by Jeff VanderMeer, especially with all the strangely haunting dialogue.   

thank you Smiley

now.. fungal zombies Smiley they are interesting..

twotimingpete
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #179 on: February 05, 2015, 06:33:24 PM »

this is one of the designs of one of the crew -- Matilda.

Like other "crew members" in the game, she is a recently (well, within a few months) deceased person and reanimated. Like other things in this geographic region of the map, she has been infected iwth fungal growths which have altered her body. It's also worth noting that one other crew member is in this region who is a male with similar mutations and loss of shirt.

since showing it I've been advised to consider altering it or covering up, and I'm a bit conflicted on that. I don't really want to expressly do "fan service" -- that is to say, sure, it's supposed to be a bit macabre as well as oddly alluring, but it's not intended to be overtly titilating. My concept of it is that it really adds just as much to the empathy and tragedy and horror as it does to the, er, "sexiness".

in any case, here's the alternate version I may end up with.

I'd be interested in getting your guys' thoughts.

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 12
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic