Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411616 Posts in 69390 Topics- by 58447 Members - Latest Member: sinsofsven

May 10, 2024, 09:56:50 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralThe UK leaves the European Union
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 14
Print
Author Topic: The UK leaves the European Union  (Read 9659 times)
Alevice
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #180 on: June 27, 2016, 01:55:14 PM »

welp, looks like we just had two brexits in a row
Huh?

starsrift
Level 10

Apparently I am a ruiner of worlds. Ooops.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #181 on: June 28, 2016, 04:50:12 AM »

btw i think boris johnson might have worse hair than trump, but i am not entirely decided yet.

Boris Johnson's hair looks pretty good when it's Owen Wilson wearing it.
I mean, I don't think the hair is the problem, exactly.

Also, seems legit AF

"Vigorous writing is concise." - William Strunk, Jr.
As is coding.

I take life with a grain of salt.
And a slice of lime, plus a shot of tequila.
Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #182 on: June 28, 2016, 04:54:55 AM »

if you want more prescient old british comedy shows just watch absolutely any episode of The New Statesman
starsrift
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #183 on: June 28, 2016, 05:30:29 AM »

if you want more prescient old british comedy shows just watch absolutely any episode of The New Statesman

As a Canadian, I generally appreciate all British comedy. Enough shared culture to acquire all of the subtext, yet enough separation to bear none of the sting of the cutting satire.

As is coding.

Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #184 on: June 28, 2016, 05:40:08 AM »

As a Canadian, I generally appreciate all British comedy. Enough shared culture to acquire all of the subtext, yet enough separation to bear none of the sting of the cutting satire.

starsrift
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #185 on: June 28, 2016, 05:51:47 AM »

Precisely.

As is coding.

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #186 on: June 28, 2016, 06:12:35 PM »

Many of the reports of incidents seem to show the mistaken belief that EU citizens living in the UK will be forced to leave the country as a result of the referendum result, with instances reported of a Polish woman being told to get off a bus and “get packing”, of a Polish man being told at an airport that he “shouldn’t still be here, that we had voted to be rid of people like him”, of a Polish coffee shop worker being jeered at and told “you’re going home now” and of Polish children at a primary school crying because they were scared of getting deported from Britain.
Capntastic
Community Friendlord
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #187 on: June 28, 2016, 06:48:52 PM »

how dare you say it's got anything to do with xenophobia

It's sovereignty
zilluss
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #188 on: June 29, 2016, 12:22:42 AM »

Who argued xenophobia didn't factor into leave votes? And frankly your sarcasm doesn't invalidate the sovereignity argument.

I highly doubt that over 50% of the population are xenophobic assholes. "Xenophobia" on such a large scale is a symptom, not the cause.

Also about the sovereignity thing:
http://static.presspublica.pl/red/rp/pdf/DokumentUE.pdf

Say hello to the European army protecting the European border.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2016, 12:32:18 AM by zilluss » Logged

@zilluss | Devlog  Hand Point Right
Kinaetron
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #189 on: June 29, 2016, 12:55:44 AM »

Who argued xenophobia didn't factor into leave votes? And frankly your sarcasm doesn't invalidate the sovereignity argument.

I highly doubt that over 50% of the population are xenophobic assholes. "Xenophobia" on such a large scale is a symptom, not the cause.

Also about the sovereignity thing:
http://static.presspublica.pl/red/rp/pdf/DokumentUE.pdf

Say hello to the European army protecting the European border.

Of course not half the country isn't xenophobic, but that's exactly where this campaign came from, it was started by UKIP who are and they've been legitimatimazed and that's incredibly shitty.

Life sucks and then you die.
Cobralad
Cowardly Baby
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #190 on: June 29, 2016, 01:01:48 AM »

they are not xenophobic, black people would actually benefit from permanent employemnt.
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #191 on: June 29, 2016, 01:58:45 AM »

Tbh i feel a smug satisfaction that the xenophobes didnt even get what they wanted.

This referendum was bad for democracy not because people voted "wrong" but because seemingly many ppl voted for completely bullshit reasons and many who voted leave didn't even know what they were voting for.

Kinaetron
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #192 on: June 29, 2016, 02:16:25 AM »

Tbh i feel a smug satisfaction that the xenophobes didnt even get what they wanted.

This referendum was bad for democracy not because people voted "wrong" but because seemingly many ppl voted for completely bullshit reasons and many who voted leave didn't even know what they were voting for.

I still stand that by the fact they did vote wrong. But the thought of the UK still having to keep free movement after all of this is pretty damn funny and I totally see that happening because the EU does not look like it will budge on their terms.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2016, 03:47:32 AM by Kinaetron » Logged

motorherp
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #193 on: June 29, 2016, 02:57:59 AM »

I was stopped in the street on my way to work yesterday by an old man with the morning news paper in his hands who started angrily shouting at me "This is bullshit, they're still going to be letting 'them' into the country" and so on after clearly having just read the report that free movement of labour would still be in effect.  That really summed the whole thing up for me.
mks
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #194 on: June 29, 2016, 03:12:09 AM »

Where's the Spelunky 2 DevLog, Derek?
Nillo
Level 10

Raunchy Raccoon

View Profile
« Reply #195 on: June 29, 2016, 03:24:11 AM »

My finished games: Griddy RPG
My current project: SummonerRL
On hold: Griddy Heroes
Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #196 on: June 29, 2016, 03:26:12 AM »

I was stopped in the street on my way to work yesterday by an old man with the morning news paper in his hands who started angrily shouting at me "This is bullshit, they're still going to be letting 'them' into the country" and so on after clearly having just read the report that free movement of labour would still be in effect.  That really summed the whole thing up for me.

science is about to get massively Owned as under any form of eea deal we would have to buy back in to horizon 2020 like the swiss did (who saw a ~40% drop in grant approvals instantly) without any kind of say in developing research topics, or we could not buy back in and suffer an immediate loss of >10% of all uk science funding and an absurd brain drain. an eea deal not only means accepting what the curmudgeonly racists want least (freedom of movement) but also means we pay in exactly what we do now, don't get the rebate, don't get the benefits we do currently, and additionally have to rely on iceland, norway, and liechtenstein ratifying new eu legislations, which often takes them 12-24 months, which drives business to the eu instead or forces eea companies to takeover an existing eu company to continue trading as normal. the eu itself will relocate its financial centre to frankfurt and will massively slash our tax base and lead to thousands of job losses, and at best we will be able to negotiate a deal that is exactly what we have now but worse in every way but we might, if we're lucky, keep financial passporting after 2 years of everyone peeing and pooping into our latrine, so we can tell them to come on in the water's lovely.

and we've done all this for the golden chalice of negotiating trade deals, which we haven't done in 40 years, aren't equipped to do, and will have to hire >>> hundreds of migrants <<< to do it for us, a process that takes years, in the midst of a desperately bad recession, where we will otherwise fall back on insanely bad wto tarriffs.

everything owns
Kinaetron
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #197 on: June 29, 2016, 03:52:57 AM »

Welp that's one major thing more  we're screwed on.  Waaagh!

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #198 on: June 29, 2016, 04:42:17 AM »

science is about to get massively Owned as under any form of eea deal we would have to buy back in to horizon 2020 like the swiss did (who saw a ~40% drop in grant approvals instantly) without any kind of say in developing research topics, or we could not buy back in and suffer an immediate loss of >10% of all uk science funding and an absurd brain drain. an eea deal not only means accepting what the curmudgeonly racists want least (freedom of movement) but also means we pay in exactly what we do now, don't get the rebate, don't get the benefits we do currently, and additionally have to rely on iceland, norway, and liechtenstein ratifying new eu legislations, which often takes them 12-24 months, which drives business to the eu instead or forces eea companies to takeover an existing eu company to continue trading as normal. the eu itself will relocate its financial centre to frankfurt and will massively slash our tax base and lead to thousands of job losses, and at best we will be able to negotiate a deal that is exactly what we have now but worse in every way but we might, if we're lucky, keep financial passporting after 2 years of everyone peeing and pooping into our latrine, so we can tell them to come on in the water's lovely.

and we've done all this for the golden chalice of negotiating trade deals, which we haven't done in 40 years, aren't equipped to do, and will have to hire >>> hundreds of migrants <<< to do it for us, a process that takes years, in the midst of a desperately bad recession, where we will otherwise fall back on insanely bad wto tarriffs.

everything owns

lol who cares about any of that shit? something something brussels bureaucrats immigrants sovereignty.
Schoq
Level 10

♡∞

View Profile WWW
« Reply #199 on: June 29, 2016, 06:10:56 AM »

stop the botes

♡ ♥ make games, not money ♥ ♡
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 14
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic