Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411579 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58445 Members - Latest Member: Mansreign

May 05, 2024, 05:00:18 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)CreativeThe Worthware Manifesto
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: The Worthware Manifesto  (Read 7517 times)
Falmil
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2010, 01:49:11 PM »

I also think that the whole "manifesto" should be one generalized rule. I think you could keep finding and thinking up scenarios not thought of or scenarios that void the original points.
wallart
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2010, 09:58:44 AM »

i think in-game items to buy are okay as long as they don't affect gameplay at all. for instance, the hats you can buy in dino run. other than that, i agree with this manifesto.

p.s. reading the replies here i had to check twice to be sure i was on tigsource.com and not indiegamer.com

you are right Smiley

JOBA
Level 1

EZ

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2010, 06:13:21 AM »

But my point is this: let's say inspiration strikes and I come up with a game design which lends itself perfectly to, say, a micropayment model, such that it would not compromise the design in any way to incorporate it and might even improve the experience by playing off gamers' addictive personalities.  (The key point in this example is that I'm not actively trying to design a game to fit this model, nor am I trying to wedge this model in on top of an existing design.)  Barring a personal dislike for the model, why would I not want to implement it?  Should I revise or scrap this design simply because it doesn't adhere to a set of rules I made for myself?
This statement is so wrong in so many ways.
Sounds more like "milk more cash by abusing gamers addictive personalities" in disguise.
How can paying more cash improve the experience? WTH?

To me, this manifesto reads like, "I don't like X, so I won't do it," which is fine, I guess, but...all other things being equal, why not?
There's pretty much nothing good about micropayments from a players perspective. And even from designers perspective if his main objective is to make a "good game".

If there's even a slightest hint within the game, that the games purpose is to milk cash and not to entertain me, i wont play the game. Even if it's just hats, it still leaves a taste of being girly-barbie game targeted at the stinkin-casuals. It's a huge turn-off.

Lets say i pay a 30$ for a game. And i'd feel like shit if i had to pay some extra money for some extra content. It would feel like i bought a gimped game.

But if you're talking exclusively about "free"-browser based games with microtransactions - then they are shitty non-games for fraken-casuals from my POV.

As far as i know, TIGSource is all about making "good games"(games you would like to make and play) first and make some money of it if it comes along? Right?

You're really better off at indiegamer forums if you cater to the casual audience and are primarily interested in monetization.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2010, 06:23:11 AM by joba » Logged

Instant TileEd - draw pixel art games and export them to Tiled TMX!
Looking for artist for a CRPG!
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic