Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411716 Posts in 69402 Topics- by 58450 Members - Latest Member: FezzikTheGiant

May 21, 2024, 10:47:01 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingGame Name Clinic - I will rate your game's name
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 155
Print
Author Topic: Game Name Clinic - I will rate your game's name  (Read 623724 times)
ThetaGames
Level 5

Informatikmeister

View Profile WWW
« Reply #280 on: April 11, 2008, 12:15:38 PM »

Anyhow, just call it 'Critical Mass'. More people will play it.
But that was already an existing game.  I don't want to steal another game's name.

I have a new idea for a game: Eight Mile Island, a game about a kid who wanders into the Exclusion Zone by accident and gains RADIOACTIVE RAP POWERS.
So this kid will cause not only the death of music, but also the deaths of hundreds of people by radioactive poisoning?

sergiocornaga
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #281 on: April 15, 2008, 03:51:48 AM »

Wait, no, I've got it now:

The Buster Drake Chronicles: Series 1, Episode 1: That episode where he descends into hell and fights satan with a machine gun.
I would download that almost instantaneously. If screenshots made it look really, really bad I might think twice.

Oh, and Akhel: Why not change it to Series 2 Episode 5?
Terry
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #282 on: April 15, 2008, 03:55:26 AM »

Thanks!

If screenshots made it look really, really bad I might think twice.

sergiocornaga
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #283 on: April 15, 2008, 04:00:35 AM »

OK! I would definitely get this game solely because of that title, or some further advancement of it. A more generic title probably would have meant I'd give it a miss.

This is probably an example of the "Snakes on a Plane" phenomenon.
Bennett
Jinky Jonky and the Spell of the Advergamez 3
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #284 on: April 15, 2008, 04:33:26 AM »

But that was already an existing game.  I don't want to steal another game's name.

Come on, it's a game from 1986, with no similarity at all to your design, which almost nobody played. If you're going to limit your choices that much, you'll have to call your game '39!!!2@fggb#7&2bo8298
Terry
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #285 on: April 15, 2008, 04:47:33 AM »

Actually I expect a game with a name like that would really stand out Shocked

sergiocornaga
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #286 on: April 15, 2008, 07:45:19 AM »

Critical Mass seems to be in use, which doesn't surprise me, seeing as the name isn't terribly original. And if the older games with that same name weren't successful, doesn't that indicate it's not a very successful title...?
Bennett
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #287 on: April 15, 2008, 01:42:21 PM »

And if the older games with that same name weren't successful, doesn't that indicate it's not a very successful title...?

Normally I would say yes, but it was quite successful for the platform it was on - the ZX spectrum. But hardly anyone remembers even the most chartbusting spectrum game, these days.
ThetaGames
Level 5

Informatikmeister

View Profile WWW
« Reply #288 on: April 15, 2008, 02:57:13 PM »

My philosophy is that one should not knowingly borrow a title from another game, even if it is obscure and outdated.  Is 'Too Many Isotopes' a bad name?  Though it does not have as nice of a sound, it is more original than 'Critical Mass.'

Bennett
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #289 on: April 15, 2008, 03:12:01 PM »

No it's not a bad name by any means. But it's not working for me. Part of the reason is that you're totally biting my style, from 'Too Many Ninjas!'. I only have one game out there in the public domain, so it's hard for me to like your proposed title.

Why not call it 'Isotope'. There aren't any games called that.
Klaim
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #290 on: April 16, 2008, 02:03:01 AM »

*google search*

There seem to be a game company names Isotope 244 and a game engine named Isotope : http://www.webalice.it/simon.gillespie/Isotope.html

Bennett
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #291 on: April 16, 2008, 04:32:38 AM »

Yup, like I said, it hasn't been used for a game.
William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #292 on: April 16, 2008, 11:52:51 PM »

I's making a game that's kind of like Icy Tower, with the scrolling upward and the jumping, but you have to shoot at enemies as well. The graphics are mostly pretty abstract. The name I'm thinking of is RISING. What do you think?

Bennett
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #293 on: April 17, 2008, 07:10:03 AM »

The name I'm thinking of is RISING. What do you think?

I don't mind it, but it has a slight Tom Clancy ring. Also, don't capitalize it.

Since I'm on a 1980's-style naming binge at the moment, I'd call it:

"Uphill Battle"

I'm getting good at this, if I do say so myself.
ThetaGames
Level 5

Informatikmeister

View Profile WWW
« Reply #294 on: April 17, 2008, 11:45:24 AM »

Part of the reason is that you're totally biting my style, from 'Too Many Ninjas!'
I completely understand, and would like to assure you that this was unintentional.  I will most likely think of another clever acronym for T.M.I.

cucumbur
Level 0

ask me about my prairie dog

View Profile WWW
« Reply #295 on: April 18, 2008, 01:36:41 AM »

I sincerely hope your original post was sarcastic.
William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #296 on: April 18, 2008, 07:24:09 AM »

I thought I could take away the 'Clancy-ness' by changing it to Risin'. This also fits the hilbilly-sounding music I plan to use in the game. How about that?

valentingalea
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #297 on: April 18, 2008, 08:39:51 AM »

Do me next, do me:

NARG
http://narg.eu - my game!
ThetaGames
Level 5

Informatikmeister

View Profile WWW
« Reply #298 on: April 18, 2008, 11:35:19 AM »

Me?  No, it wasn't.  Too Many Isotopes is a legitimate game (it is in the Feedback forum), and its similarity to Benzido's game name was entirely unintentional.

Bennett
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #299 on: April 18, 2008, 01:03:16 PM »

I thought I could take away the 'Clancy-ness' by changing it to Risin'. This also fits the hilbilly-sounding music I plan to use in the game. How about that?

Risin' is good if you're really going for the hillbilly style. I've always wanted to make a hillbilly game where the main dude chews tobacco, hitches up his pants and wraps his lower lip over his top lip. There aren't enough of them out there. You could also call it 'Hillbilly Hill'.

But gee, I'm pretty sure 'Uphill Battle' is a great name... someone should take it, even if you don't.

NARG

A bit bewildering. Does it stand for 'Non-Augmented Reality Game'? If so, that's hilarious, but it's more of an art project than a game. Non-Augmented Reality hahahaha  :D.

On the other hand, if I've got it all wrong, and you plan to build a game on top of this framework, then you'll have to give me a bit more detail as to what you have planned.

Oh, and I don't think you should use acronyms unless they spell out a totally self-explanatory title.

Me?  No, it wasn't.  Too Many Isotopes is a legitimate game (it is in the Feedback forum), and its similarity to Benzido's game name was entirely unintentional.

No I think he meant my original post. But I didn't care enough to respond, since we've already been over that 20 pages back.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 155
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic