Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411576 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58444 Members - Latest Member: darkcitien

May 04, 2024, 09:06:08 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsProject Rain World
Pages: 1 ... 236 237 [238] 239 240 ... 367
Print
Author Topic: Project Rain World  (Read 1449488 times)
kizmarh
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4740 on: September 28, 2015, 11:07:28 AM »

Just noticed that the bird that have the most “feathers” at the top is “alpha” (the first one), and the one that visually have the least amount of them is the “omega”, the last one that is clumsy and is lagging behind a bit. I wonder if that was made on purpose Smiley
JLJac
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #4741 on: September 28, 2015, 01:26:08 PM »

Actually not for this one, but some other creatures have stuff like that - such as rain deer antler size depending in their internal ranking. This is sort of what we're going for though ... by not giving away much information in the game about what's going on except from what you see on the screen, we can get the player to project their own ideas onto the world, and you'll end up with a nice blurry line between what the game can do and what you think the game can do  Wink

Update 482

UI for placing ambient sounds.

Just UI so far ~ no, you know... sounds.
jamesprimate
Level 10

wave emoji

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4742 on: September 28, 2015, 02:05:14 PM »

^ FINALLY MY TIME AS COME. mega mega stoked about this Tears of Joy

for those who dont know, i was originally only here to do the audio...   Big Laff

tortoiseandcrow
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #4743 on: September 28, 2015, 02:11:49 PM »

I am so excited about this!

Wait...I just realized you'll be placing every single one by hand. And with the number of screens I know you've made...James, I don't envy you. Not even a little bit.

(okay, a little bit)
jamesprimate
Level 10

wave emoji

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4744 on: September 28, 2015, 02:23:36 PM »

there is a system of inheritability in there, so it wont be all that bad! Like with the lighting and palette tools, Joar has it set so ill be able to set audio templates for regions/subreigons. though... if my workflow with the lighting and palette is any indication, ill likely wind up doing most of it by hand because i am a fuss. The 1% lighting blend difference between rooms matters to me! XD

really looking forward to it. my only sadness is that i cant dive right in just yet. Sooooooon!
« Last Edit: September 28, 2015, 04:59:55 PM by jamesprimate » Logged

Franklin's Ghost
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4745 on: September 28, 2015, 09:35:41 PM »

Nice to see that sound is now going to start being implemented Smiley

That UI ambient sound setup looks like it works really well and looking forward to seeing what james is going to be doing with it. When will you be able to start playing with it?

flashysquirrel
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4746 on: September 29, 2015, 04:56:10 AM »

Thanks for taking time to explain a bit more your "non-ragdoll" birds Wink It's impressive how you made it look behaving physical with no real physics involved, nice trick !

JLJac
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #4747 on: September 29, 2015, 12:26:25 PM »

Update 483

Made the ambient sound engine load and play sounds, and made the inheritance stuff work. Ambient sounds ready to go!
lakithunder
Level 0

The Coolest of Turtles

View Profile
« Reply #4748 on: September 29, 2015, 04:11:28 PM »

After discovering this game, I read an unhealthy amount of the devlog in a very short time. Rain World is the coolest game.

My only qualm is that at this point it doesn't appear to me that the player will meet many other slugcats in his or her search for food which just feels sort of unrealistic to me. If you don't have anything more productive to do with your time, I think it would be cool if the game matched you up with another player online journey style - although adding online multiplayer is kind of time consuming and probably not worth it.

I've also been wondering whether you have any species where the males and females have different abilities and/or behaviors. That's a very integral part of the natural world and would be cool to have.

Anyway, the game is going to be (and indeed already is) awesome whatever features you intend to add.
Christian
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4749 on: September 29, 2015, 04:33:53 PM »

After discovering this game, I read an unhealthy amount of the devlog in a very short time. Rain World is the coolest game.

My only qualm is that at this point it doesn't appear to me that the player will meet many other slugcats in his or her search for food which just feels sort of unrealistic to me. If you don't have anything more productive to do with your time, I think it would be cool if the game matched you up with another player online journey style - although adding online multiplayer is kind of time consuming and probably not worth it.

I've also been wondering whether you have any species where the males and females have different abilities and/or behaviors. That's a very integral part of the natural world and would be cool to have.

Anyway, the game is going to be (and indeed already is) awesome whatever features you intend to add.
Well there is co-op, and the game has competitive MP modes

Visit Indie Game Enthusiast or follow me @IG_Enthusiast to learn about the best new and upcoming indie games!
jamesprimate
Level 10

wave emoji

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4750 on: September 29, 2015, 07:48:37 PM »

yes, what Christian said!

also were not showing any of the narrative / story stuff in the devlog, for obvious spoiler reasons, so WHO KNOWS what sorts of things you'll find when you venture out into rain world proper

JLJac
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #4751 on: September 30, 2015, 08:55:05 AM »

Update 484

Making tiles! The next region is going to be really mazy. With a few lizards in there I think we'll be able to squeeze out a decent pac-man clone from the engine!

The slanted walls of the tunnels enables you to see the creatures in them, even at the edges of the screen where the slight depth effect will otherwise tilt the geometry so the tunnel becomes obscured.
itsyourpalmike
« Reply #4752 on: September 30, 2015, 09:26:42 AM »

Damn, this game looks amazing. I'm excited to see where it goes.
lakithunder
Level 0

The Coolest of Turtles

View Profile
« Reply #4753 on: September 30, 2015, 03:49:40 PM »

It's nice seeing that you're bringing back more maze-like areas from the beginning of the development.
JLJac
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #4754 on: October 01, 2015, 12:27:18 PM »

Yeah I think so too! The maze game is perhaps not quite as strong as the platforming game, but it is suspenseful and fun when there are a few lizards around, and it's a very welcome change of pace. Suddenly the game becomes way more about planning and thinking rather than quick reflexes.

Update 485

More tile work! This is a little bit more exciting, so I'll leave it to James to show it off properly in an environment in a couple of days!
jamesprimate
Level 10

wave emoji

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4755 on: October 03, 2015, 02:47:33 AM »

GOING DEEP!

Past week or so we've been working on materials and structure for the 11th (and penultimate) region on our to-do list: Subterranean! Probably won't get into too much detail with the specifics of it since its among the final regions the player will encounter, but suffice to say that its underground, so totally happy to show off some of the deep cave-like elements we've been messing with for the top layer subregion.

Joar has whipped up a *fantastic* new (procedural?) dirt tile material and a pair of dark-ish cave palettes to get us going. Worth noting is that we spent a few days fretting on how to make these work, as both aspects are potentially a bit of a departure from how things have been done so far, but i think it came out really well:

detail: http://i.imgur.com/8wndxmd.png

This sub-region is "Near Surface Subterranean", so occasionally you come across areas where the cave ceiling has given way and shafts of saturated light shine down, illuminating the walls. So we needed a palette that would work with various lighting types and could also be blended with other "outside" palettes for when transitioning to other surface regions. No easy trick, and Joar did an amazing job! I know its subtle stuff, but definitely worth pointing out as I think its the best palette work in the game so far. Here is the same palette, but deeper underground and with only player lighting:

detail: http://i.imgur.com/gyl3kYY.png

experimentations continue... so more soon!

christopf
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4756 on: October 03, 2015, 07:48:48 AM »

holy cow, you guys...

Crabby
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #4757 on: October 03, 2015, 08:37:59 AM »

its....beautiful!!!
 Blink Blink
      O

Working on something new!
Follow me @CrabbyDev.
tortoiseandcrow
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #4758 on: October 03, 2015, 10:03:09 AM »

That is one sophisticated palette there. I'm getting a total 18th century romanticism vibe from those soft hues. The painterly dirt tiles are certainly helping the effect too. Nice work!
Christian
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4759 on: October 03, 2015, 12:16:24 PM »

Looks great, James

Can't wait to see what terrifying species Joar thinks up for those underground caverns...

Visit Indie Game Enthusiast or follow me @IG_Enthusiast to learn about the best new and upcoming indie games!
Pages: 1 ... 236 237 [238] 239 240 ... 367
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic