Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411528 Posts in 69381 Topics- by 58437 Members - Latest Member: GlitchyPSI

May 02, 2024, 04:51:26 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralWhat are you reading?
Pages: 1 ... 67 68 [69] 70 71 ... 95
Print
Author Topic: What are you reading?  (Read 211341 times)
Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #1360 on: July 17, 2012, 04:00:02 PM »

Enjoying this a lot.
Franklin's Ghost
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1361 on: July 17, 2012, 11:56:47 PM »

Just finished the Mistborn trilogy. Amazing ride, full of twists that I never saw coming. The ending was better than I ever could have imagined.
I want a videogame.

What's that you say?

Have started reading the first book now after seeing you guys mention it. Enjoying it so far Smiley

DeadPixel
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1362 on: July 20, 2012, 08:26:01 AM »

Just finished listening to Wil Wheaton read Ready Player One.  Great book in my mind.  Lots of nostalgic geek masturbation going on, but a good experience through out.

Tanner
Level 10

MMPHM *GULP*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1363 on: July 20, 2012, 06:42:25 PM »

The Broom of the System. It's pretty great.

John Hutchinson
Level 0

Code Monkey Go Bananas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1364 on: July 21, 2012, 08:23:01 AM »

I just finished reading Agile Game Development with Scrum, which I highly recommend to any game developers out there interested in learning about iterative development and how it applies to practical game development

Currently I'm reading Code Complete (2nd edition) which is highly recommended by tons of great programmers. I'm only a few chapters in but so far I'm finding it packed full of absolutely essential methodology for business software development. Most of it also applies to game development as well but it seems like most of the ideas need to be toned back quite a bit to make them more practical for how games need to be made. Still though, it's forcing me to think about development in new ways and so far I'm really digging it.  I also peeked ahead a bit and there's lots of info on design patterns and other really, really, useful stuff. I'm looking forward to getting to the "meat" of the book.

I'm also working through Game Design Concepts, which is a free online game design course that I simply cannot praise enough. Seriously, this is not an option - this is a must for any aspiring game designer.

"Code banana. Run in loop. Makes many banana!"
[email protected] | Blog | Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn
beestings
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #1365 on: July 21, 2012, 11:35:39 AM »

Guns, Germs, and Steel was a pretty interesting book. I had to read it for AP Human Geography last year--and it wasnt boring to me at all.

But other than that.. I have a pretty picky taste in books... dont want to start a new thread or anything but;

what books are your favorites?

What books have you read over again?

I am in highschool... and a pretty high level reader--but some of my favorite books have always been in the young adult section. I read every single Gregor the Overland book (i just realized the other week that it was the same author as the author of the hunger games), I have really REALLY enjoyed the Gone Series by Michael Grant, the Uglies Series by Scott Westerfeld (those books were so good, the come off as pretty stupid books to be, but they were so good in the end), The Series of Unfortunate Events by Lemony Snicket, The Last Apprentice Series (by I forget who). I also LOVED the Fablehaven Series by Brandon Mull, and even though its a kidish book, its the only book/series I have ever read more than once.

Also more recently read The Somnambulist by Jonathan Barnes, The Long Walk by Stephen King, The Life of Pi by Yann Martel, A Murder in Mesopotamia by Agatha Christie.
Tumetsu
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1366 on: July 21, 2012, 11:47:54 AM »

(Previous books included Freakonomics, Superfreakonomics and A Brief History of the World... I still really want to read Guns, Germs and Steel, but it's not out on Kindle.)
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_c_2_15?url=search-alias%3Ddigital-text&field-keywords=guns+germs+steel&sprefix=guns+germs+stee%2Caps%2C134

Yeees... and as you can see from your link, it's not available.

Besides, I shop from the UK store.
Well, for me it is available and says I could buy buy it. Guess it is restricted on your area then.

Anyway, basically anything from Jared Diamond is good stuff. I especially liked the Collapse.

forwardresent
« Reply #1367 on: August 09, 2012, 11:34:15 AM »

Quote from: beestings

The Series of Unfortunate Events by Lemony Snicket.

Lemony Snicket is boss.

I'm currently reading books on writing, and some graphic novels, mostly Batman.
shinygerbil
Blew Blow (Loved It)
Level 10

GET off your horse

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1368 on: August 09, 2012, 03:21:38 PM »

Just finished the Mistborn trilogy. Amazing ride, full of twists that I never saw coming. The ending was better than I ever could have imagined.
I want a videogame.

What's that you say?

Have started reading the first book now after seeing you guys mention it. Enjoying it so far Smiley

I read the Mistborn trilogy a few weeks ago and really enjoyed it. I really liked Vin as a character.

After that I read the follow-up book, Alloy of Law, and also Elantris, by the same author; both very good as well.

And the reason I started reading Sanderson was from a recommendation on the blog of Patrick Rothfuss, author of the sublime Name of the Wind which I heartily recommend. I may have mentioned it before in this thread, but not sure.

EDIT: Test Your Metal is a terrible, terrible catchphrase for the Mistborn game. Facepalm

olücæbelel
James McCloud
Level 3

I can't art

View Profile
« Reply #1369 on: August 09, 2012, 04:27:42 PM »

Enjoying this a lot.
My sister read this series a while ago and still claims it's one of the best she's ever read.  I guess I should pick it up sometime.

This is me on steam.

Hey look!  My blog's gone again!  Ain't that somethin?

I really need a better sig :\
C.D Buckmaster
Level 7

Death via video games

View Profile
« Reply #1370 on: August 09, 2012, 06:53:30 PM »

I've started reading James Joyce's Ulysses, it's pretty enjoyable so far, although it throws a lot of references around.
Ashkin
« Reply #1371 on: August 09, 2012, 10:09:07 PM »

Finishing up Day of the Triffids. Pretty interesting. Writing is matter-of-fact but it's a good view of a sort-of-post-apocalyptic world.
Also finished The Handmaid's Tale recently. Great writing style.
LazyWaffle
« Reply #1372 on: August 13, 2012, 02:07:45 AM »

I was gonna try to read a lot of essential literature but I ended up reading solely Vonnegut for 2 years instead.
forwardresent
« Reply #1373 on: August 13, 2012, 03:07:53 PM »

I'm working my way through a pile of graphic novels and books on writing. I started reading collections of short comics called Future Shocks this magazine called 2000AD puts out. Before that I read some Batman, so I'll either go with that, Annotated Sandman, the classic Spider-Man or Hellblazer.

I've bought a large pile of graphic novels and books the past two months, I am out of shelf space before I've even unpacked any of my books from my previous residence.

I'm also part way through High Fidelity, which I quite like.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2012, 03:46:37 PM by forwardresent » Logged
Simon Andersson
Level 4

I'm not depressed.

View Profile
« Reply #1374 on: August 15, 2012, 11:21:15 AM »

I also read High Fidelity quite recently!

Currently reading this:

Dont really know why. Just to see how someone else might approch Douglas Adams work, I guess. It really is pretty damn aweful though.
Schoq
Level 10

♡∞

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1375 on: August 15, 2012, 11:27:09 AM »

♡ ♥ make games, not money ♥ ♡
Faust06
Level 5

terminally laid-back

View Profile
« Reply #1376 on: August 15, 2012, 11:30:24 AM »

Still yet to really start 1Q84, probably going to leave it for now in favour of a collection of Kafka I haven't read in a while.

I found it disappointing. I don't think Murakami will top Wind-up Bird Chronicle or Hard-Boiled Wonderland. Will start looking into older works I may have overlooked (Norwegian Wood).

I'm reading Crime and Punishment. Recently finished The Unbearable Lightness of Being (good), Going Postal (okay, Making Money is better), The Old Man and the Sea (great), and The Sun Also Rises (good).

I have a really, really long to-do list, but here are some I'm looking forward to if anyone has any input -

A Confederacy of Dunces
Hot, Water, Music
the Life and Opinions of Tristram Shandy
The Prince (macchiavelli)
Ishmael - Quinn
the prestige
the satanic verses
the razor's edge
unaccustomed earth
ringworld
the city & the city
the first tycoon - t.j. stiles

comics - blankets, and planetary
« Last Edit: August 15, 2012, 11:35:56 AM by Faust06 » Logged
Panurge
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1377 on: August 15, 2012, 11:42:25 AM »

the Life and Opinions of Tristram Shandy

Possibly my favourite book. I wish I could have the pleasure of reading it again for the first time.

disparat
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1378 on: August 15, 2012, 02:16:37 PM »

James Joyce is terrible and is best known for his gross flatulence fetish.
You're not enjoying Ulysses, you liar.

"Your opinions are not mine. Therefore, you are wrong."
Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #1379 on: August 15, 2012, 02:59:42 PM »

I just finished reading Stardust. Good book!  Smiley
Pages: 1 ... 67 68 [69] 70 71 ... 95
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic