Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411576 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58444 Members - Latest Member: darkcitien

May 05, 2024, 05:50:59 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesWhy On Earth Would You Want To Make Your Own Game If You Already Know The Ending
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Why On Earth Would You Want To Make Your Own Game If You Already Know The Ending  (Read 5009 times)
Zaratustra
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2009, 06:05:08 AM »

I make games because I like testing people. I am Alex Trebek and you are all my little returning contestants.

I_smell
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2009, 12:52:54 PM »

cos we can't do sports D:
andy wolff
Level 10

-------

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2009, 01:23:38 PM »

normally I make games to play them and let others play them
also like others have said it's a good logical challenge, and creating stuff is just really fun for me

I made an art game and put it in the feedback section, and when people played it they pointed out that some parts of it had a meaning which I didn't intend, or put in by accident. I found this to be really interesting, and though I still disagree with calling games art I'm starting to think that making those silly art games is rather fun. In the future when I make a more serious game I'll definitely have to put some of those silly artsy-type hidden meanings and such in it, just to see what people say.

professor dead
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2009, 02:10:15 PM »

i make games because i want to tell stories but cannot (a) write or (b) produce my own movies.  oh, and (c) because i can't sing.  making games relieves the stress produced from the anxieties of having so many ideas.

word  Wizard Hand Point Right
Anthony Flack
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2009, 02:36:01 PM »

Indeed, you don't really know completely how it's going to turn out until you make it. And nobody else is going to have the slightest clue about what you imagined until you actually construct the thing, so if you imagine something that you think is worthy of existence, then you have your mission.

It's true that creators never really get to experience that all-important first impression, though. All you can do is try to experience it vicariously by hovering disconcertingly behind  somebody else's shoulder while they play your game.

However, it's easy enough to make action games that can kick their creators' arses and be a fun challenge to play. Adventure games are a different matter; they can only really exist for other people's enjoyment.

Currently in development: Cletus Clay
gunswordfist
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2009, 03:13:10 PM »

Yeah I guess you won't know what it'll be like until you make it.

Indie games I have purchased:
Spelunky
Shoot 1UP
Aik
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 18, 2009, 03:30:12 PM »

I have this problem with writing, but not so much with games. I give up on writing mostly because the ideas were more enjoyable to come up with than they are to implement. When it comes to games though, the implementation stage is as interesting as the cooking up ideas stage. Programming is fun Smiley
Alec
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: February 18, 2009, 05:18:36 PM »

I actually don't like working on stuff where everything is set in stone and I know exactly what its going to end up being.

Its much more fun and rewarding to discover and reinvent it as I go.

Beer!

gunswordfist
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: February 18, 2009, 07:09:28 PM »

I have this problem with writing, but not so much with games. I give up on writing mostly because the ideas were more enjoyable to come up with than they are to implement. When it comes to games though, the implementation stage is as interesting as the cooking up ideas stage. Programming is fun Smiley
Yeah I guess I said what I said because I was really only thinking about the game writing because all I'm capable of doing right now is...writing. Actually putting a game into action changes all of that. I remember thinking 'Why write about games if your ideas will never get made into actual games?' Well hopefully I'll change that too.
I actually don't like working on stuff where everything is set in stone and I know exactly what its going to end up being.

Its much more fun and rewarding to discover and reinvent it as I go.

Beer!

I see where you're coming from. I'm all for scrumming (well hopefully I will be)

Indie games I have purchased:
Spelunky
Shoot 1UP
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic