Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411576 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58444 Members - Latest Member: darkcitien

May 05, 2024, 03:44:25 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesPreview of Jason Rohrer's Primrose
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Print
Author Topic: Preview of Jason Rohrer's Primrose  (Read 12573 times)
Alec
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: February 27, 2009, 12:07:55 PM »

I don't even know what's going on here, but it seems epic.

In any case, Brandon is a really nice, awesome dude. So if he's at the center of some controversy, there's gotta be some kind of misunderstanding.

I'm sure Brandon and Jason will be passionately making out at GDC either way.  Gentleman

Corpus
« Reply #61 on: February 27, 2009, 12:39:32 PM »

I certainly didn't see things turning out like that, haha. That was all slightly surreal.

I'm not sure there is any controversy, Alec - it all seemed pretty straightforward, and nobody ended up flaming anyone else (except, perhaps, for some people earlier in the thread).

I agree that the description is leaning towards the "overblown" end of the scale, and I do wonder if its length is really appropriate for a game of this sort. It would probably be enough just to explain the good points, rather than relating them to various other puzzle games apparently lacking in those qualities.

Still, I played the game tonight, and I enjoyed it. I think the graphics could do with some more polish, ideally, but the game mechanics seem solid and definitely amusing enough to justify the asking price. I'm not the type to sit and plan out strategies, personally, so I probably would never even have discovered that "flower garden" technique on my own.
Zaphos
« Reply #62 on: February 27, 2009, 12:46:40 PM »

But anyway, take that as a challenge.  Break v3, please, Zaphos. 
Sorry Jason ... I don't know what to say.  I didn't mean to imply your game was broken in the latest version.  Just that it was not a unicorn.

I'm sure a lot of people enjoy it!
Jason Rohrer
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 27, 2009, 12:50:45 PM »

Back to the point: It's absolutely not fair for you to say I wasn't playing it intelligently.  If you release a score-driven puzzle game, the player is motivated to solve it and to get the high score.  I wasn't trying to break it, even -- it was just the first strategy I thought of.  I think that's on you!

Hmm... Indeed, this is a game about high scoring.  So, how high of a score did you get with the boring 1-tile clears before you quit?  300?  

Using chain reactions, you can get a million points even before red (color 4) is introduced.  That's what I meant by "intelligent" play.  Thinking about how to get a high score now, not thinking about how to get 1 point at a time forever.  Like, "What can these mechanics do for me?" not "How can I break this game?"

The "flower strategy" is an obvious no-win (i.e., low scoring) strategy unless you are a seasoned player and know about the end-game condition.  The only way it ends up scoring any points to speak of (14 million, in fact) is that if played just right, it allows you to clear the whole board at once (all gray), which is worth 49^3 * 11^2 points (clearing a group of 49 at level 11).  Do that a few times in a row, as new runs of single colors are introduced and as the level counter keeps going up, and your score approaches the hundreds of millions.  Keep going long enough, and you hit the billions.

But before that first full-board clear, you score nothing... like a few hundred points or something.  Then, BAM, 14 million.

So, BMcC, without seeing it through, did you simply surmise that you could simply play forever this way to get an infinite score?

On the other hand, I guess people who stumble onto this strategy say "hey, wait a minute..." and want to see where it leads... "can I play forever?"  And before you know it, they stumble onto 14 million points.

I had no idea it would be such a strong local attractor.

But "fixing" it required no changes to the core mechanics.  Just changes to the scoring and the full-board clearing rule.

It is a social experiment, certainly.  Unbelievable how much people copy each other on the leaderboards.... like, almost even move-for-move.

I wouldn't trust those reviewers pouring out the praise, especially if they were playing a broken game.

When I said "trustworthy game designers", I wasn't talking about public reviews.  I was talking about my personal, inner circle.  

They never said it wasn't broken, they just said the core idea was very good.  In fact, one of them was the one who first showed me the "flower garden" thing many months ago when I was first working on the game.  In fact, "Amazing, if you can fix it" seemed to be the running comment.  Still the running comment, I think.  

Except on TIGS... here the running comment is, "Sucks, AND it's broken!"

So, suppose you have a core puzzle idea that is very good, but you have to build a non-broken game with it.  Like, something that can't be played forever, first of all.  Then you have to assign scores to it... in some way that is balanced so that there isn't one play style that dominates.  These systems with lots of inherent emergence are particularly tricky to leash down properly... ESPECIALLY if people can copy each other's games by watching replays on the leaderboard.

But this is all meta discussion to the core game mechanics, which I feel that *none* of you on here have really played around with yet.

And it is the foregame that all the other reviewers were raving about.  The complex, emergent properties, etc.  The fresh puzzles that the thing (using your moves as input) constantly generates for you.

You're so focused on the endgame flaw that you haven't played the fore-game!

Like... BMcC... I don't see you on the v3 leaderboards....

And BMcC... regarding the App Store description.  This *is* the puzzle game to end all puzzle games.   Smiley

Seriously, though, I'm 100% confident in the deep interest inherent in the core mechanic, if only I can get the metagame stuff tuned properly for a good play-arc and balanced scoring, etc.  That may take a few more iterations, or it may be impossible.

But you at least have to admit that it's not derivative.

And no ill will toward the people who were leveling honest criticism.  I know BMcC is a nice guy, etc.  Honest criticism is good.  What I regret is how it is often twinged with negativity and pull-downs or whatever.

But really, the idea of posting a public news story about a discovered exploit... is just a strange mentality.  Like, "Hey, that's news, buddy!" 

I mean, some very nice people have submitted bug reports to me about Primrose... about other issues (like, actual programming bugs), but they're not running out to post "ROHRER RELEASES BUGGY SOFTWARE" stories on their blogs.  Of course I write buggy software.  And no one has emailed me about the "exploit" or any other issues relating to the design (except to tell me how brilliant and beautiful the design is, etc.).

BMcC, you facebooked me about it, but it was more to get my input (like... a savory quote?) before you wrote your TIGS expose story.

Keep in mind that this thread is now 10 days old and predates the actual release of Primrose.  BMcC, by the time you "discovered" this flaw, the fix had already been released (it was posted on Feb 25).  To be clear:  me fixing this had nothing to do with the discussion on here.  I just saw the forums go by again in my sitemeter yesterday and thought I should see what was up.  Glad that I did.

You've all got my email address... please use it!

Anyway, I'm just pointing out that there is a kind of "troll-ish" atmosphere on here, especially compared to the rest of my online communications.  There's more to being nice than saying, "Hey, we're all nice here!"  I'm not asking for ass-kissing or anything, just civility.

Jason
Jason Rohrer
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 27, 2009, 12:59:09 PM »

But anyway, take that as a challenge.  Break v3, please, Zaphos. 
Sorry Jason ... I don't know what to say.  I didn't mean to imply your game was broken in the latest version.  Just that it was not a unicorn.

I'm sure a lot of people enjoy it!

Zaphos:  I'm claiming that you haven't spent enough time with my horse to see it sprout a horn.  If you beat my score of 122,000 on the leaderboards (a pretty low score)---WITHOUT watching my game and copying me, that is---and still say it's not interesting, well, fair enough.

Until then, you're just someone who won't even look where I'm pointing. 

Z: "Nope, there's no unicorn over there!" 

J: "But you didn't look!" 

Z: "Yes, I just did.  It's just a horse." 

J: "Well, you only looked for an instant, and it's head was turned away."

Z: "I'm sure lots of people see a unicorn there too, but I see a horse."

Jason
Eclipse
Level 10

0xDEADC0DE

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: February 27, 2009, 01:16:26 PM »

Zaphos:  I'm claiming that you haven't spent enough time with my horse to see it sprout a horn. 

if people got bored before maybe your game is even a donkey?
If i need to get to the leaderboards to enjoy the game maybe the concept fails in fun?

So, suppose you have a core puzzle idea that is very good, but you have to build a non-broken game with it.  Like, something that can't be played forever, first of all.  Then you have to assign scores to it... in some way that is balanced so that there isn't one play style that dominates.  These systems with lots of inherent emergence are particularly tricky to leash down properly... ESPECIALLY if people can copy each other's games by watching replays on the leaderboard.

[...]
And it is the foregame that all the other reviewers were raving about.  The complex, emergent properties, etc.  The fresh puzzles that the thing (using your moves as input) constantly generates for you.

what you describe is the bare minimum a puzzle game needs to have to be enjoyed, all the puzzle games out there from Shangai to Tetris to konjak's Tripline have emergent properties and fresh puzzles using your moves as input...

And BMcC... regarding the App Store description.  This *is* the puzzle game to end all puzzle games.  Smiley

Roll Eyes

<Powergloved_Andy> I once fapped to Dora the Explorer
Zaphos
« Reply #66 on: February 27, 2009, 01:27:45 PM »

Zaphos:  I'm claiming that you haven't spent enough time with my horse to see it sprout a horn.  If you beat my score of 122,000 on the leaderboards (a pretty low score)---WITHOUT watching my game and copying me, that is---and still say it's not interesting, well, fair enough.

Until then, you're just someone who won't even look where I'm pointing. 
I was very bored by my time with the game ... I tried going back to it after this post but honestly the pace of the experience just does not work for me.  So, yes, I didn't spend much time with the game.  But I'm not going to sit around being bored just to see if eventually the screen explodes.

As a general comment, I think this sort of discussion happens often -- a person (often reviewer) says they don't like some game, and the response is, "haha, you don't know how to play!"  or "you're just bad at it!"  And okay, perhaps that's true, perhaps they don't know how to play.  But often I prefer that person's review, because I think probably I'd be bad at the game in the same ways!

Any person's experience provides a valid point of view.  I'm sure if I had the obligation of writing a 'professional' review, I would continue playing through my own disinterest to see the full experience, but honestly I'm not sure I even want that from a review -- if the reviewer would have stopped playing the game save for the obligation of the review, that experience is the one I want to hear about.
Fuzz
« Reply #67 on: February 27, 2009, 02:27:01 PM »

Anyway, I'm just pointing out that there is a kind of "troll-ish" atmosphere on here, especially compared to the rest of my online communications.  There's more to being nice than saying, "Hey, we're all nice here!"  I'm not asking for ass-kissing or anything, just civility.

Jason
Unfortunately it seems like to you, civility means never saying anything negative about the game. Don't take that personally, it just seems like you're finding it hard to grapple with any criticism, because a lot of this discussion does not seem to be of a "troll-ish" nature.
coffin
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 27, 2009, 02:30:48 PM »

I think at worst the 'flower garden' strategy (which I didn't describe well enough in my post) reveals a flaw in the game balance which was unfortunately perpetuated by the leaderboard game recordings, it doesn't (or didn't) make the game 'broken' in any sense.

Jason, I appreciate your contributions to this thread which deal with your design and balancing process and would like to hear more of that and less of the sparring to be honest. Having tried myself I appreciate how difficult designing a deep and balanced puzzle game is and would be interested in your insights.
Corpus
« Reply #69 on: February 27, 2009, 02:31:20 PM »

But really, the idea of posting a public news story about a discovered exploit... is just a strange mentality.  Like, "Hey, that's news, buddy!" 

[...]

BMcC, you facebooked me about it, but it was more to get my input (like... a savory quote?) before you wrote your TIGS expose story.
This is a complete straw man. BMcC was going to post about Primrose anyway, and could hardly fail to mention what he considered to be a serious issue with the game. He's a nice guy, though, so he checked with you beforehand, giving you a chance to state your case and clarify the situation. I'm not sure why you think there's anything to complain about.

That's fair enough. There haven't been many, but a few people in this thread have been repeatedly and, I think, unnecessarily negative. We should avoid being dickish and trollish; one of the things that always used to be (and, for the most part, continues to be) so nice about the TIGS community was that, while people weren't afraid to offer criticism, it would be balanced and, if not constructive, at least helpful.
Zaphos
« Reply #70 on: February 27, 2009, 02:36:33 PM »

I think at worst the 'flower garden' strategy (which I didn't describe well enough in my post) reveals a flaw in the game balance which was unfortunately perpetuated by the leaderboard game recordings, it doesn't (or didn't) make the game 'broken' in any sense.
I think when talking about games people often use the word 'broken' to mean that there is a flaw in the game balance.
Hideous
That's cool.
Level 10

3D models are the best

View Profile WWW
« Reply #71 on: February 27, 2009, 02:45:16 PM »

art games  Roll Eyes

Problem Machine
Level 8

It's Not a Disaster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #72 on: February 27, 2009, 02:57:30 PM »

Well, I was ABOUT to object to the characterization of these forums as a troll-haven, but...  Roll Eyes

BMcC
Senior Editor, Hero,
Level 10

Bee Mixsy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #73 on: February 27, 2009, 02:57:45 PM »

Please read my posts more carefully... I've already answered most of these questions!  Maybe I came across as too critical, but I didn't mean to.  I was simply responding to what you said, trying to clarify my thoughts.  It seems like you're pissed at me now. Shocked

... Hmm... Indeed, this is a game about high scoring.  So, how high of a score did you get with the boring 1-tile clears before you quit?  300? ...
That's about right, maybe less.  As I said originally, I got bored of this.  I've never been one to obsess that much over a high score.

... That's what I meant by "intelligent" play.  Thinking about how to get a high score now, not thinking about how to get 1 point at a time forever.  Like, "What can these mechanics do for me?" not "How can I break this game?" ...
First, as I said, I wasn't trying to break the game, I was just trying to do well at it.  And since when was lesser short-term success in lieu of greater long-term success more intelligent?  It's a puzzle game, my brain went into "solve" mode.

... So, BMcC, without seeing it through, did you simply surmise that you could simply play forever this way to get an infinite score? ...
Mm hm, that's what I said.  I was asking around to see if it was true, 'cause I could hardly believe it.

I wouldn't trust those reviewers pouring out the praise, especially if they were playing a broken game.
When I said "trustworthy game designers", I wasn't talking about public reviews.  I was talking about my personal, inner circle. ...
When I said "reviewers" I meant "public reviews."

... Except on TIGS... here the running comment is, "Sucks, AND it's broken!" ...
I think you're blowing things out of proportion here.  I thought it seemed good, but was turned off 'cause it was (or, at least I thought it was) broken.  No one's saying it sucks, in fact there are numerous positive comments.

... So, suppose you have a core puzzle idea that is very good, but you have to build a non-broken game with it.  Like, something that can't be played forever, first of all.  Then you have to assign scores to it... in some way that is balanced so that there isn't one play style that dominates.  These systems with lots of inherent emergence are particularly tricky to leash down properly... ESPECIALLY if people can copy each other's games by watching replays on the leaderboard. ...
Yes, absolutely!  I said as much earlier, and it's good to see you've got the dedication to hammer it out. Hand Thumbs Up Right

... You're so focused on the endgame flaw that you haven't played the fore-game!

Like... BMcC... I don't see you on the v3 leaderboards.... ...
Well, I don't think I had version 3. Tongue  (Not that I've ever been good about making it onto leaderboards anyway.)

... And BMcC... regarding the App Store description.  This *is* the puzzle game to end all puzzle games.   Smiley ...
Haha, okay, well I'm glad that's settled! Wink

.. Seriously, though, I'm 100% confident in the deep interest inherent in the core mechanic, if only I can get the metagame stuff tuned properly for a good play-arc and balanced scoring, etc.  That may take a few more iterations, or it may be impossible.

But you at least have to admit that it's not derivative. ...
You don't have to defend the game's concept!  And I don't have to "admit" anything, 'cause I haven't been begrudgingly withholding praise, or whatever you're implying.  (Sorry, maybe that was directed at someone else...)  I agree that it's a solid concept, but, going back to the description, I was made to expect the second coming, not something you're still iterating upon!  If I had seen a simple note or something saying you're still refining it, I would've messaged with, "I think there's an exploit here" and that would be that.  But it appeared to be done, which is why it was noteworthy.

... But really, the idea of posting a public news story about a discovered exploit... is just a strange mentality.  Like, "Hey, that's news, buddy!" 

I mean, some very nice people have submitted bug reports to me about Primrose... about other issues (like, actual programming bugs), but they're not running out to post "ROHRER RELEASES BUGGY SOFTWARE" stories on their blogs.  Of course I write buggy software.  And no one has emailed me about the "exploit" or any other issues relating to the design (except to tell me how brilliant and beautiful the design is, etc.).

BMcC, you facebooked me about it, but it was more to get my input (like... a savory quote?) before you wrote your TIGS expose story. ...
Hey, this is quite a stretch!  I was not planning on writing an expose, I was covering the game like I would any other.  I messaged you because I was surprised and wanted to bring this to your attention.  I wanted to know if you were aware of it, if you were planning on updating the game, etc.  I certainly wasn't looking for a "savory quote."  That's pretty insulting.

If you really think I was jumping at a chance to embarrass you, why did I ask around first, why did I message you, and why didn't I just make some explosive post last night, before seeing your response?  That doesn't make sense.  (EDIT: Corpus said basically the same thing right as I was about to post.)

And if it's true that I'm the only one to email you with an issue with the game's design, I think that's to my credit.

... BMcC, by the time you "discovered" this flaw, the fix had already been released (it was posted on Feb 25). ...
What, I didn't discover it now? Huh?  And I think I had the previous version, actually.

... Anyway, I'm just pointing out that there is a kind of "troll-ish" atmosphere on here, especially compared to the rest of my online communications.  There's more to being nice than saying, "Hey, we're all nice here!"  I'm not asking for ass-kissing or anything, just civility. ...
What?  This is hardly trolling, and certainly civil!  It's critical, sure, perhaps over-critical.  But this is a board of game developers, I don't know what else you'd expect!

Eclipse
Level 10

0xDEADC0DE

View Profile WWW
« Reply #74 on: February 27, 2009, 03:09:29 PM »

i'm sorry if i sounded trollish to anyone, i think i need to take more time to formulate my phrases and try to understand my own tones, due to my bad english  Cry

<Powergloved_Andy> I once fapped to Dora the Explorer
Alec
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #75 on: February 27, 2009, 03:31:42 PM »

It sounds Jason is the one trolling, which makes this pretty hilarious.

I'm getting the impression that he's the type that likes to dish it out, but can't take it.

Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #76 on: February 27, 2009, 04:54:40 PM »

I'm going to lock this thread, because even though I don't think anybody here is really trolling, my crystal ball is telling me it's going to turn into one of those ironically pointless pointing contests.

Brandon is still planning on posting about the game, and you guys can continue the discussion there.  I believe he'll be very straightforward about it, and let people come to their own conclusions.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic